As a couple travelling we were keen to find a nice beach hut when we went to Koh Phangan. En route to the boat at the Surat Thani bus station we were approached by a nice, Thai man who assured us he was not on commission and we were given a deal on Haad Gruad. We took it as it sounded very nice and the pictures in the leaflet were ok and thought it would save time on arrival to the island.
When we arrived the beach hut was pretty basic but we thought this was perhaps the local standard. The roof was open at the sides and we had a mosquito net over the bed with a few holes in it and a very basic and not so clean bathroom and a bad shower. The private beach seemed nice and has soft, yellow sand and seating areas. There is a nice swimming pool at the resort. The manager seemed nice also and he speaks several languages.
The first thing we noticed was that the staff in the resort do not smile, are discourteous and seem to hate tourists. I mean politeness costs nothing! The resort claims to do everything for the tourist so you don't have to go anywhere else, which we found very restricting - all the advice is centred on the resort. The access road is a bumpy dirt track down a hill and hard to navigate, even with a moped, hired for an expensive rate (250 Baht per day) from the resort. It is also a long walk from any shops. Its like we were trapped! The sea itself requires you to wear sandals in it as the bottom is covered in sharp coral and stones.
In the evening we could not sleep for the noise of annoying, drunken laughter from tourists who seemed only interested in drinking and smoking - perhaps that was their only way to cope with the resort?
They have wired internet access (no wifi) but its not free (!!) and they do not even have Skype headsets. A few couples there found this very annoying and the staff do not attempt to help and have zero sympathy.
When we finally escaped and went next door to visit Haad Yao we found a much more open, white sandy beach with lovely water. I wish we had started our trip there instead.
We decided to move south to Haad Rin after that.
I would really not recommend anyone to start their holiday at Haad Gruad. It has potential but needs a lot of work to improve itself before being suitable in our view. There are many other resorts on the Island which are much better quality and definitely better value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- West Coast Beach Resort is fresh and ready to provide professional service. For travelers who want to take in the sights and sounds of Koh Phangan, this is the perfect choice. From here, guests can enjoy easy access to all that the lively city has to offer. With its convenient location, the hotel offers easy access to the city's must-see destinations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your West Coast Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Haad Gruad Beach Resort And Spa
- Haad Gruad Beach Hotel Koh Phangan