US$447
US$266
US$576
US$279
Agoda.com
Beck's Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$499
US$432
Orbitz.com
US$105
US$97
Priceline
Sunset Hill Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$283
US$247
US$126
US$114
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$137/night.

US$1,520
US$1,427
All reviewsprivate beacheach morningrenovationremotescooter
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stay way from this place.

Well, in the beginning it was our fault to hook on the tout offer at ferry port on the way from Surat Thani to Ko Phan Ngan. We couldn't expect such a miserable end...

First of all it's the location - far far away from everything. Connected to main road via poor unpaved track. Wouldn't drive on a motorbike there.

We've got a bungalow just next to a bar. Inside there was huge spider, not mosquito, net and huge cracks in the walls. Asked about noise from the bar, the manager said "It's no problem". The same night we and other guests experienced loud techno beats by 2-3 enthusiastic "guests", playing from their laptop. Well, they can play, no problem, but there's nowhere to go away actually.

We changed the room to a better one for extra. With mosquito net at least. When we're going to experience their swimming pool (there was no lights at night there, not "working hours" or something?). My girlfriend was going out of a bathroom and cracked right through the floors of the bungalow till her waist. Her legs and arm was bruised really badly (no swimming for few weeks). We asked for a manager, but there was a barman only. The answer was "He's sleeping". So he didn't bothered to get up and my girlfriend received first aid from a massage woman. They even wanted us to stay in the same room, covering the hole with a basket. So we'd received another one, seems like unused and dusty after the repairing.

If that's not enough, about 5-6 am in the morning our neighbours came back from a party and made loud and endless after party in their balcony, just few meters away from our room. We're really into parties, but that was just too much...

In the morning we'd found a manager, a Dutch one. After telling our story, he said
"I'm not a manager. He's not here. That was an accident and it's your problem". No
excuses, no sorries, no even human sympathy. Just trembling hands with a cigarette and nervous look. After mentioning Tourist police, he said that actually the resort is owned by a policeman. After refusing to pay for everything, we're blamed for ruining their business.

If you want to experience real beauty of Ko Phan Ngan, beware of this place.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
12  Thank D0mas
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Please, please, please don't stay here. Like so many other reviewers here, my friends and I had a horrible experience. Yes, Jaco was a rude and dismissive nob. When we arrived, I politely inquired as to whether I could ask him a quick question and he waved his hand in my face and replied "I'm on my way to the bathroom". Thanks for the info. The entire staff acted as if we were completely inconveniencing them just by being there. My first meal I ordered Tom Yum soup and when it arrived I asked for a side of rice. I literally waited for over an hour for the rice, after asking for it about 4 times, it was like I was in the twighlight zone. My friends paid 1200 baht to stay in an aircon room - the aircon didn't work. When they told "Jaco the useless" that it didn't work and asked him to please take care of it (they had to ask a number of times) he replied by saying they didn't like complainers... The place is located down a long and sketchy road - we felt somewhat trapped there as it was the full moon and we knew most other places would be full, we stayed two nights and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
12  Thank Pamela L
Reviewed 14 March 2012

As a couple travelling we were keen to find a nice beach hut when we went to Koh Phangan. En route to the boat at the Surat Thani bus station we were approached by a nice, Thai man who assured us he was not on commission and we were given a deal on Haad Gruad. We took it as it sounded very nice and the pictures in the leaflet were ok and thought it would save time on arrival to the island.
When we arrived the beach hut was pretty basic but we thought this was perhaps the local standard. The roof was open at the sides and we had a mosquito net over the bed with a few holes in it and a very basic and not so clean bathroom and a bad shower. The private beach seemed nice and has soft, yellow sand and seating areas. There is a nice swimming pool at the resort. The manager seemed nice also and he speaks several languages.

The first thing we noticed was that the staff in the resort do not smile, are discourteous and seem to hate tourists. I mean politeness costs nothing! The resort claims to do everything for the tourist so you don't have to go anywhere else, which we found very restricting - all the advice is centred on the resort. The access road is a bumpy dirt track down a hill and hard to navigate, even with a moped, hired for an expensive rate (250 Baht per day) from the resort. It is also a long walk from any shops. Its like we were trapped! The sea itself requires you to wear sandals in it as the bottom is covered in sharp coral and stones.
In the evening we could not sleep for the noise of annoying, drunken laughter from tourists who seemed only interested in drinking and smoking - perhaps that was their only way to cope with the resort?
They have wired internet access (no wifi) but its not free (!!) and they do not even have Skype headsets. A few couples there found this very annoying and the staff do not attempt to help and have zero sympathy.

When we finally escaped and went next door to visit Haad Yao we found a much more open, white sandy beach with lovely water. I wish we had started our trip there instead.
We decided to move south to Haad Rin after that.
I would really not recommend anyone to start their holiday at Haad Gruad. It has potential but needs a lot of work to improve itself before being suitable in our view. There are many other resorts on the Island which are much better quality and definitely better value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank J_L0nd0n2011
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I think the reviews for this place are a little unfair and over the top, either people are exagerating are more than likely the resort has improved a lot! In which case I think it deserves a more positive review.
We did pay 800baht a night and stayed for 5 nights this was an air con room overlooking the pool and beach (room pool 2) the view was absolutely incredible!! So beautiful. The room was airconditioned and clean. The bathroom was the worst part for me, the door didn't close and we had alsorts of creatures in there, a huge geko (15 inches long) in the middle of the night, giant snails and big spiders. However we backed onto the jungle so it was to be expected, luckily none of these creatures made it into the room!
Food was fine, not too overpriced and tasted great, service was lovely and eating next to the beautiful beach was great.
I can agree with the reviews about the manager, he was an idiot, he just seemed lazy he didn't want to help you with anything, I can see how people are really offended by his humour as well.
Pool was beautiful and the beach was incredible, must have been the time of year but it wasn't rocky as the tide was much further in then the pictures, so we did lots of snorkeling and even swam round to the other coves.
I did get so many insect bites, even with the mosquito net, i did wonder if there was bed bugs, didn't want to think to much about that though!
All in all, for the absolute beauty of the area this place is worth a visit, I'd say bring your own mosquito net and be willing to slum it a little with the bathroom. And just don't bother with the manager, chat to the thai staff or the english bar man.

Room Tip: If you aren't on a budget, stay in the pool villa's otherwise they are all similar.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank kathryn333w
Reviewed 9 January 2012

What can I say - a place more deserving of a good review, alas there is nothing good to say about it except the location (a private beach on the quiet side of Koh Phangan). The good part ends there. I was approached at the bus station in Surat Thani by a friendly, approachable Thai man who represented the hotel. Exhausted after a long bus trip, I paid for one night, as the brochure looked great. 400 Baht for a beach bungalow seemed fair, and we had the option of staying one night and leaving if not satisfied. Upon arrival I had an instantly bad feeling about the place. The manager, Jaco, was flippant and dismissive, only wanting to look at our receipts to see what we paid for the room and then sending us off to our respective rooms with a wave of his hand. My bungalow was FILTHY -- soiled curtains, holes in the ceiling, and stains on the walls. The toilet hose had a hole in it, and every time I used it I had to bend it in two so it wouldn't spray water everywhere.
The food was hideously over-priced, and not very tasty at all. The receptionist was rude and abrupt, and the manager (Jaco) - who according to the hotel brochure has years of experience in travel management (not sure how he got it, with that bad attitude) - was extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. I promptly checked out the following day and ventured elsewhere.

The only way this hotel is going to survive is if they get rid of Jaco and hire better management. It's a real shame, as the place is absolutely beautiful. It has a private beach, a gorgeous swimming pool and private bungalows, right on the beachfront. It has potential to be a really great resort, however the atmosphere of the place and the rudeness of the staff is reason to remain well away. Most of the people, who like me, paid for one night at Surat Thani, checked out with me the following day, so I was definitely not alone my opinion of the place.

Don't waste your time with Haad Gruad - there are much better places to stay in Koh Phangan.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo