“Terrible”

Ranked #65 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

Astounded by the positive review below! This place is precisely as bad as all the negative reviews you'll find here. Wished we'd had internet available at the Donsak pier so we could have looked this up before accepting the touts offer of a night in one of the bungalows for 300Baht.

This place is totally isolated and to try and squeeze an extra nights fee out of you they have this ridiculous rule where you have to tell them you wish to check out the night before or they will charge you another 50% of another nights stay. Because we arrived at night we ended up having to spend 2 nights here as we spent the morning of the second day looking for a better place to stay. Food wasn't actually that bad and i didn't really have much contact with the Manager except to pay the bill so can't comment on his behaviour. But the dishonest way of luring you there and the appalling state of the bungalows warrants a terrible rating in itself. Just felt like our rickety shack was going to just topple into the sea at any moment taking us and all the huge spiders, lizards and cockroaches with it. Just terrible!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Iammmattdoran

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2012

Very friendly personell and really good food. Beautiully located by the beach with no nighbouring resorts. A sort of up dated backpacker place. Maybe not so good swimming for the children due to lots of stones in the water, however the pool are was great. Very affordable prices.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Camilla D
Ao Nang, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012

After reading some reviews I can only agree! We got approached by the tout on the ferry to kho Phangan and it sounded really nice! We planned to stay only one night anyway, but it was a mistake! We rented a overpriced motorbike and went out for dinner! I didn't wanna spend my cash on this place. After we got back a few hours later, my wife realised someone went through her luggage! The thief only stole a flashlight! Lucky us, because my camera was there too! We think the thief was looking for drugs! Apparently they work with corrupt policemen together!
Anyway avoid this place at all cost! I'm disappointed and angry and wish the hotel goes down!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank NinoandAlex

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

I do agree with the most people here. But I have to say, it's not the worst place i did stay during my travels.
BUT it was the most unfriendly and rude Manager (or what ever he is) I've EVER met.... He should really think about his behaviour if he wants to stay in a job like this. I'm not sure if he knows that if you work in a tourism business you get in touch with people... you feel kind of sorry you came there and disturbed him by doing whatever... But at least he can speak soooo many languages, wow, congratulations!

And don't book anything with his help. We booked our Trip to Trang. It was very expensive and in the end we should even pay the driver extra money for our luggage (we didn't). We did call "Jaco" and all he said was: "its their car, and they can do what they want. Its your problem." Well, of course it's not his problem anymore, cause he has his money.

We stayed in the "beachroom". It's bit off the restaurant. So we did hear the music, but it wasn't as loud. The beds were really smelly... Oh and luckily we had our own mosquito net cause the one in the room was like a switzerland cheese...
I think the pool is nice, but beware of loose nails on the way to it, you might hurt your feet...
BUT the food was good! And they did repair the road...

So it's your decision in the end if you wanna give a man like this your money or prefer guesthouses where they really try to give you a nice accomodation and a happy stay. And I think there are plenty in Thailand... We're really angry we gave him our money...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Annere_Mudders
Vantaa, Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I have a lot to say about this place but after reading the other reviews there is not really much to add.
The beach is not good, the pool is not clean, the bar is loud and the staff not very helpful.
But the worst thing in this place is really the manager... His behaviour was ignorant and unfriendly until we paid the bill, then he became just nasty.

I have travelled for 7 months and stayed in over 80 hotels/guesthouses/hostels etc and never ever faced a manger or service this bad.
I have also stayed in various places in Ko Phangan. This is the worst one.
The place has potential, but they should really change the management and most of the staff as well.
Almost ruined my week in Phangan.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Sanna L
Vilnius, Lithuania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stay way from this place.

Well, in the beginning it was our fault to hook on the tout offer at ferry port on the way from Surat Thani to Ko Phan Ngan. We couldn't expect such a miserable end...

First of all it's the location - far far away from everything. Connected to main road via poor unpaved track. Wouldn't drive on a motorbike there.

We've got a bungalow just next to a bar. Inside there was huge spider, not mosquito, net and huge cracks in the walls. Asked about noise from the bar, the manager said "It's no problem". The same night we and other guests experienced loud techno beats by 2-3 enthusiastic "guests", playing from their laptop. Well, they can play, no problem, but there's nowhere to go away actually.

We changed the room to a better one for extra. With mosquito net at least. When we're going to experience their swimming pool (there was no lights at night there, not "working hours" or something?). My girlfriend was going out of a bathroom and cracked right through the floors of the bungalow till her waist. Her legs and arm was bruised really badly (no swimming for few weeks). We asked for a manager, but there was a barman only. The answer was "He's sleeping". So he didn't bothered to get up and my girlfriend received first aid from a massage woman. They even wanted us to stay in the same room, covering the hole with a basket. So we'd received another one, seems like unused and dusty after the repairing.

If that's not enough, about 5-6 am in the morning our neighbours came back from a party and made loud and endless after party in their balcony, just few meters away from our room. We're really into parties, but that was just too much...

In the morning we'd found a manager, a Dutch one. After telling our story, he said
"I'm not a manager. He's not here. That was an accident and it's your problem". No
excuses, no sorries, no even human sympathy. Just trembling hands with a cigarette and nervous look. After mentioning Tourist police, he said that actually the resort is owned by a policeman. After refusing to pay for everything, we're blamed for ruining their business.

If you want to experience real beauty of Ko Phan Ngan, beware of this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank D0mas
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

Please, please, please don't stay here. Like so many other reviewers here, my friends and I had a horrible experience. Yes, Jaco was a rude and dismissive nob. When we arrived, I politely inquired as to whether I could ask him a quick question and he waved his hand in my face and replied "I'm on my way to the bathroom". Thanks for the info. The entire staff acted as if we were completely inconveniencing them just by being there. My first meal I ordered Tom Yum soup and when it arrived I asked for a side of rice. I literally waited for over an hour for the rice, after asking for it about 4 times, it was like I was in the twighlight zone. My friends paid 1200 baht to stay in an aircon room - the aircon didn't work. When they told "Jaco the useless" that it didn't work and asked him to please take care of it (they had to ask a number of times) he replied by saying they didn't like complainers... The place is located down a long and sketchy road - we felt somewhat trapped there as it was the full moon and we knew most other places would be full, we stayed two nights and couldn't get out of there fast enough.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends