See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 August 2013

There are lots of bad reviews for this place that are very unjust.
We couldn't have had a better time here, private beach, clean rooms with air-con and hot water, nice reception and staff were very knowledgeable and keen to help if you needed a taxi or advice, food was above average and lots of dishes both Thai and Western.
*Amazing bar overlooking the ocean with an excellent choice of local and imported drinks and cocktails, the bar staff knew out names after the first night, very friendly, very modern and clean. (the only bad side was the building is made out of concrete but the Thai's see this as classy and posh)
Walking distance to Haad Salad and Haad Yao, both have nice beaches and restaurants.
Truly felt at home here, I will most definitely recommend this place and visit again.

Room Tip: Wide range of rooms from basic fan to executive rooms, we went for the middle ground, Hot water and Air-con, great price.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Loved my stay at Haad Gruad!! Beautiful location right on the beach with a great pool, lovely gardens and views and cute little grass villas.The staff are really lovely, friendly and helpful, food is great, rooms were clean, and all at really good prices!! Myles, the barman makes an awesome drink!! I felt quite spoilt!! They also hire scooters at a good price! They were doing major renovations when we were there but they didnt disrupt our stay too much, we were lucky enough to have the resort to ourselves the first few days we were there! I cant wait to see what the place looks like when I return to Koh Phangan next year when the renovations are finished! Thank you for helping to make my stay in Thailand one of the best times of my life!! I had a wonderful time!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2013

This is a perfect place on the island with it's private beach, bar and restaurant.
After reading some other peoples reveiws, i have to laugh a little bit about 'wild animals' there are lizards, geckos, spiders and although i have not seen them i am quite sure there are snakes and other animals you might find on a tropical island that is their natural habitat.
I have stayed at this resort for a few years now, and the access to the resort is down a windy sandy gravel track towards the coast, i never myself had a problem with the manager Jaco, and if it makes people happy he has actually left now to teach kids north of Bangkok.
It is quiet there, it is the opposite end of the island to Haad Rin (where the beach parties are)
This i find better as you can escape the madness of the parties and just chill out in a hammock away from the chaos!!
I found all of the staff to be helpful, polite, and go out of there way to make my stay as pleasant as possible, i will definatly be there again in dec 2013!
With the experience of riding a bike/moped i learnt over there, the roads on the whole of the island are to say the least a bit dangerous, the hills in to Haad Rin have cost a few people there lives and a few pound in bike repairs. It is not clever but i usually crash every year at least once.
Taxis are available on request, 100 baht to Tong Sala (where the boats come in) and 200 baht to the full moon beach. Which is very reasonable given the location.
I honestly love the place, met some fantastic fellow travelers that have stayed there!

Room Tip: The pool rooms are more expensive with air con but are so nice over the swimming pool, and the veiw of the beach, i always choose a wooden beach shack right on the beach, laying in my hammock listening to the waves to sent me to sleep. I can here them from inside but living in england, most the time i prefer the hammock!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank honest_paul1976
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Can only agree with other reviews this place is awful. Dirty, ridden with bugs, sheets are stained and don't look like they've ever been washed. It's an embarrassment. Don't be taken in by cheap prices on offer; they find ways to push the price up and threaten if you don't pay up. This place should be shut down, fast.

• Stayed: December 2012
7  Thank Emma M
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I think that I have to write some good things about this place. After come here we were a little bit scared about this place because we had read many bad reviews. But I only can say that I've been sleeping in worst places than this one. The beach is quiet and nice. I don't have any complain about the people who works here, they are kind and friendly. Our bungalow was clean and there were no spiders or bugs, only termits, but they don't go out of the wood. I think is a good place if you want to stay quiet. The truth is it is a little far away of all, but what you need more? Shops? People? I think it is a really nice place and it's not expensive. What do you want for 400 baht per night? A 5 star resort??? This is Tailand!!! And the last thing, we are in a tropical zone, should not be bugs???

• Stayed: October 2012