“The best valued hotel we stayed at in Thailand”

Phangan Utopia Resort
Reviewed 8 May 2012

As long as you have transport (moped) you cant go wrong. Beautiful scenery,free dvds and huts were great with a lot of character. You can request no breakfast to cut costs.

Be wary of putting things on your room bill however, as I ordered filtered coffee a few times in the restaurant but was charged for ground coffee on each occasion. This was rectified when questioned,however I was made to feel that I was making it up!

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in a Mountain View room for four nights and found it good although our first impression of the place was not so good. We were originally going to check-in another mountain view room (lower level) and found it full of mouse droppings (including on the bed). The doors and windows frames were quirked and did not shut properly thus allowing mice to come in and out to poop everywhere. We ended up staying in a much nicer, larger and clean second-level room for the same price. The DVD player was really cheap and overheated in minutes. The pool was really nice. The restaurant served good food and the staff was very friendly. Note about snakes on the property: we saw three snakes on the property, one of which was about one meter long and bright green (good for pictures, bad for ophidiophobia) and were told about a cobra den near the cliffs?

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We had visited Utopia for lunch on many occasion during previous visits to Koh Phangan. It has such a fantastic view! We chose Koh Phangan for our honeymoon as we love it so much but when we arrived, the house we had organised to stay in fell through. Utopia came to the rescue offering us a Seaview Jacuzzi Villa for our stay. We had a lovely time, had the pool to ourselves on many occasion (beautiful view during the day, lovely soft lights at light), enjoyed our special order banana-coffee smoothie each morning and roamed around the island on our motorbike.

The only down sides for some might be the location if you don't have transport. You are perched up on a hill away from everything but I'm sure you can arrange transfers through the wonderful staff. If you have your own bike, then the driveway is pretty steep (not a problem when you're experienced). The accomodation is in a great spot but is a little tired inside if you're fussy but again, wasn't a problem for us.

All in all, you'll have a great time.

Room Tip: I would go with a seaview for sure...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leeannk
Reviewed 11 February 2012

We stayed in one of the sea view bungalows, the place was fab. Luxuries such as cable tv and air con were a god send the day after the full moon party! Facilities such as transport to parties, scooter rental were great. Food was fantastic and staff were very helpful and friendly. Pool was nice but the pool side bar was never open, perhaps it was because the place was not full. Loved it :-)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed in one of the huts, a little ways back but still with full view of the water. Stunningly beautiful. Its dark, so might not be a bad idea to pack a flashlight, which any experienced traveller should do anyways. The outdoor shower and toilet took a little getting used to.

Getting here is a bit tricky, but all the taxis/buses know the place. Getting a scooter up here is a bit harrowing. It is far removed from the crazy full moon party, but its great for sleeping after a night of partying. No beach access, so either rent a jeep, scooter(ahh!), or you will have to take taxi's everywhere.

The food was amazing, I fell in love with Khao Tom (rice soup for breakfast) here, overlooking the waves lapping on the beach below. Hands down one of the best restaurant views I have seen. Food was good enough to eat for every meal, but when traveling, where's the fun in that? Hit up the random roadside places all over the island, just look for the locals!

Overall, highly recommended, but there were a few cons worth mentioning. First, very few of the pipes are buried, so you can see the sewer/water pipes running all over. Also, there are several buildings that were in various states of being torn down or built, I couldn't tell. There was never any construction noise, however. Last, while taking a set of stairs that lead up to what is about the highest point/overlook, we saw a very large snake, much too close for comfort. Asked the resort staff what kind, they didn;t even blink, it was a king cobra. I've never looked under my bed my whole life, but we did the rest of that trip! If they are going to have the scenic overlook like that, they would do well to clean the steps off, we couldnt see where we were putting our feet through all the leaves. Its Thailand and there are lots of critters, it happens. This place allows you to get away from it all.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank thepaul500
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Not much to say here, it ticks all the boxes is very clean, food is great and the pool lovely. The most important thing – The staff are top notch.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mattcooke123
Reviewed 25 February 2011

It makes me well up to look at the photos again as this place now has a place in my heart. I visited with my friend in Aug 2010 as we wanted a haven away from the full moon party. It was definately that, The staff were so friendly and drove us down to full moon (around 25 minutes) on the evening with other hotel guests. The room and view was beautiful and this was just the best hotel I have ever stayed in. And what an amazing quirkly outside toilet!! Food wonderful.., I am sorry I have left it so long staff of Utopia I miss the wonderful place and you....thank you so so much I hope I am lucky enough to return one day!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends