“Getaway to paradise here”

Phangan Utopia Resort
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My new fiance took me here for 3 nights of sun, beach, and relaxation in paradise that is Koh Phangan, and we had a magnificent stay!

Let me first say that Koh Phangan island is gorgeous and heaven on earth. Skip on Koh Samui or any of the other touristy islands (unless you like crowds), Koh Phangan is more pristine, unspoiled and tranquil. The island's brought to fame by its Full Moon and Half Moon and (insert the blank) Moon parties.

Utopia Resort sits on top of a hill on the north side of the island. It overlooks a private beach and is ultra peaceful and romantic. We stayed in the "F" section that directly overlooks to the waters and loved our room. There is outdoor shower (in au natural) and a jacuzzi that also sits out on the balcony. At night, there's absolutely no noise and you can truly enjoy being one with nature and appreciating it all.

Staff is friendly and helpful. Gal at the counter arranged day trips as well as helped us book speedboat tickets to return back to Bangkok. The restaurant serves delicious food, in particular the Utopia Fried Rice! Free WiFi in the lobby area only, but that's okay because the point is to catch a break from technology and the outside world, right?

There are mosquitoes on Koh Phangan. So be prepared and bring your bug sprays. They tend to come out at dusk. We were fine during the day.

We were so sad to leave this place. Utopia Resort and Koh Phangan left us with treasured memories though. Would love to return one day, soon!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jinnng

Reviewed 15 April 2013

Perched on top of a hill, views to the sea on one side and the jungle from the other. Stayed at the end of the season so the rate for my pool room was 900 bht per day, air conditioning included - a bargain. Being low season I often had the pool to myself. The staff were friendly and efficient. The room was more than you would expect for the price, not luxury but more than met my needs. Wifi was available, but only in the public areas, as were some pc's which were free, there were no printing available. As I was travelling on my own, I was pleased that they had a selection of dvd's that I could borrow. The only negative, and its not the hotels fault, was the steep incline - for a first time scooter user I had to build up the courage each time I went down it. Great value for money, fantastic views, peaceful but only 5 mins away from Haad Salad and Chalokolum.

Room Tip: Stayed in a pool room and more than happy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed here with a friend during a travelling trip and so we could go to the Full Moon Party on the other side of the island. We loved it. The rooms and grounds were beautiful and the views from the poolside were breathtaking. We didn't venture down to the beach at all as we were so happy gazing out over the sea from the height of the pool. The breakfasts were really good and the staff were very helpful arranging taxis for us when we went to the full moon party with some other guests who were going so we could share the cost. After five months of backpacking all over the place this was such a perfect place to stay still and relax.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The Utopia Resort is run by the nicest people. They are kind and very helpful. The food in the restaurant is very good and inexpensive. The rooms are decent and clean, but far from luxurious. I think a few small changes could be made that would improve the stay, for example: while there is a tea kettle in the room there is no instant coffee or tea, also no tea cups. There are no phones in the rooms or wi-fi; a bit of an inconvenience. Over all a really great value.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Wonderful staff, beautiful clean room for a great price. We were there in low season and I'm sure prices go up but this places view and the restaurant was worth the stay! The other bungalows were closer to the beach, but weren't near as nice/clean and charged the same price. Utopia had nice new scooters to rent and though its a big hill to get up there it's worth it!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The staff of Utopia were extremely kind and helpful, they made our stay memorable. We originally planned to stay for 5days but since we really liked it and felt at home we extended our stay to 8nghts. Dar, Thaij, Joe and Sumo were so very patient with our 3yr old daughter and always up for a game with her. Place was clean, view from restaurant awesome. Would definitely recommend this resort!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DoreenBarr
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I found this place to be really nice. I wont exactly call it a resort since with that you expect a lot of service. This place is more like nice secluded place far from the crowded part of the island.
For the amount that I paid it was pretty awesome. Rooms were clean. Food was really good at the restaurant.
They gave us free ride to the full moon party since transportation is an issue specially at night.
You will get a lot of noise from the birds and the crickets during night and early morning. But I guess that comes with such a place and adds to the charm. View from the hotel is stunning with sea view.
I would recommend people to come to this place. Don't expect a five start resort since you are not paying a five star price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple