“Amazing view, peaceful”

Phangan Utopia Resort
Netherlands
“Amazing view, peaceful”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

This resort is beautiful. It has an incredible, huge, view over the ocean, from the restaurant terrace, some of the bungalows, and from the infinity pool. The staff is super friendly and sweet, the food is good, the pool is beautiful. Though it is about 15 minutes walk from a beautiful beach, all other attractions are really far away. You have to take a local taxi to go to villages or towns (as there is no public transport on the islands). I had a bungalow with an outdoor (amazing) bath, very secluded and private. The only downsides are that it really needed a good cleaning (lots of cobwebs), that there's a creepy staircase (which could be fixed I think by painting the walls terracotta or yellow, in stead of the cold hard withe), and that the outside shower was not really working. I've had hard showers before (taking about 5 minutes to get my hair wet), but this shower was just impossible. I showered in the bathtub in stead.
I would highly recommend this place. Maybe just suggest to test the shower and compare the interiors before you decide which bungalow you take.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Arizonastar

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Finnish first
  • Thai first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 January 2011

The first impression was "WOW what a view!" But after a couple of hours it gets boring. It's pretty far from everything so its like being trapped in paradise. We booked 2 nights and it felt like a week. There's nothing to do up here if you dont take a taxi to some beach.
Both of us ordered different food both days for lunch and dinner and both got sick in the stomach after every meal. So the last day we decided to go eat dinner somewhere else and we were fine. So the kitchen is not so clean or the chef is not good, something shady is going on in the kitchen for us to get sick. The breakfast was poor, not much to choose from.
So afar from the breathtaking view we dont have much more to say about this place. Friendly staff. Stay here for one night and see the view, thats all.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PutteANDCarro
London
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Best place i stayed during 2 weeks in Thailand. Staff we're fantastic with us. Definatly worth upgrading to the bungalows on the edge facing the sea. Outside showers and amazing views from balcony.

Would defiantly recommend and visit again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank merfmerfmerf
LaGlobettroter
Reviewed 27 December 2009

The view is incredible!! The staff is also very friendly and helpful. They do the little plus that makes all the difference! I would recommend this place even if it is a little bit far but so peaceful and quiet!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank LaGlobettroter
England
Reviewed 17 December 2009

We booked a thai style room through hostel bookers which gets you a 30% discount. We we picked up from the ferry terminal by wolf and taken to the resort. The views from the resort are absolutely amazing. It is on top of a cliff and I got a lovely feeling of calm when we sat in the restaurant looking out.

The room was nice, in the traditional thai wooden style. The bathroom was outdoors which was nice taking a shower, but a little wierd when using the loo at night! the food was nice, although they have to take it outside when transfering from the kitchen to restaurant, so it arrives a little colder than I would have liked!

They do a transfer to the nearest beach, which is lovely! There is a natural sandbank to a little island which you can walk along, and the mamma's massage on the beach is the best massage I have even had!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s300bex
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 4 December 2009

I booked the rooms and paid deposit in January since they had good rates for April but as soon as we arrived in Phangan there was no pickup as they said. Phoned them and they said I had no booking and the rooms were full! Luckily I had a thai friend who phoned them and in 15 min sent pickup to sort out what happened. They said that their booking system crashed last week and lost all records. Since I had a bad feeling that thais are going to fool me I brought records of email booking and paypal receipt both on paper and on pendrive as proof of payment. After accepting my booking the receptionist said that the rates have changed since my booking and become more exp. and wanted to give me a lower rated room from what I have booked and besides this the type of room (seaview with big windows and balcony) were all booked. I insisted to have a similar room and agreed for a seaview with balcony but small windows. I realized that the system crash was a setup and they wanted me to forget my early booking and pay twice as much. Another ripoff is the fact that they hire pickup drivers from Chaloklam to take to to had rin and other nearby places for an exuberant price and this rises up to 500 baht one way on fullmoon party days.I tried to haggle a price with the driver and at first he accepted for 500 return but when he came to pick us up from had rin he said to wait for an hour because he had another pickup in one hours time, we agreed and offered him a drink insice a bar to kill the 1hour. when he took us back to utopia he refused the deal and wanted abother 500 baht. Besides all this, rooms are clean and nicely decorated. My girlfriend didn't like the fact that during the night there are big gechos all around the hut and other bugs strolling on the roof because the sound was waking her up. Said that be careful when you prebook with utopia and money wise its better to book at utopia if you want to visit chaloklam, mae haad, ko ma and nearby beaches because they offer free transport to nearby places and if you want to visit had rin or go to fullmoon party its more woth it to have accommodation in had rin

Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple