“Best vacation ever!”

Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at Anantara in November. It took me a while to sit down and write my review because I
kept searching for the perfect words. And I didn’t want repeat what hundreds before me already wrote. But everything has been said.

Everything was just perfect.

Taking the hotels speedboat from Ko Samui to Koh Phangan is just the beginning of this exceptional experience.
With the staff waiting for you at the beach, you feel that you’ve landed somewhere very special.

It was quite clear when booking this trip that it has to be a Beach Villa and nothing less. Although this cost a couple of $$$ more,
it was worth it. All these small details in and around the room made it special. Kwan from housekeeping made sure that everything
was perfect with a smile. The rooms are spacious and very tastefully furnished.

Breakfast had a large variety and the head chef was always there to make sure nothing was missing and that everything went smooth.
The staff greeted us every morning with our first names and remembered quite quickly our preferences with coffee or other morning habits.

The quiet isolated location makes this place so special. Its so far away from the daily hectic and parties of rest of the island.
The beach is stunning and extremely tranquil. We enjoyed most the reserved sunbeds in front of our villa.

We had dinner in the hotel and outside. There isn’t much in the small town and the standards are not comparable to the hotel.
Since we stayed 2 weeks, it was nice to see something else every once and a while.

A special thanks to the great staff such as Angie the island guru, who was always there and helpful with any request you come to her with. Does this
woman ever take a break? Or Jazzy that made the best Mekong Mai Tais. And Nui with most friendliest attitude at breakfast and dinner.

This place is a charm and I get teary eyes just thinking about how wonderful it was. My husband and I travel a lot together. We spend a lot of money
on our holidays. We prefer hot and tropical locations. From everything we have seen, this is top notch. Its set the bar so high, that I’m having trouble
finding an affordable hotel in a different location with the same standards.

Thank you Anantara, we’ll be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fairytella
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you very much for your great review on Trip Advisor. Especially Khun Jazzy, Khun Nui, Angie and Khun Kwan are very proud that they made your vacation such a special one. Now we hope we will get another opportunity to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

This is a very small hotel (c60 rooms) which gave it a very exclusive feel, and is highly recommended. We loved our stay, but cannot give 5 stars on TA as it doesn't have the all the 5 star amenities. There is only one restaurant, therefore limited evening options, however every night has a different theme and the food is very good. The staff are exceptional, made us feel welcome and were very informative about the local area.
Local town was within a couple of minutes walk and gave us a number of eating and drinking options. The rest of the island is easily accessible if required, but we didn't venture far as the resort and local area gave us everything we required for a 7 night stay.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KateCooke
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear KateCook,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Anantara Rasananda. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your holiday with us, even so you mentioned the lack of a second restaurant in the resort.

I hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to our little island paradise.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a modern hotel with some photogenic stylish touches that will please people looking for Western standards. We stayed in three different room types and the biggest drawback was that two of the three lacked enough natural light. The splash pools were chilly and shaded so we did not really use them. The complementary breakfasts were excellent but we avoided buying other meals here as it seemed like the pricey global hotel fare you might expect.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Noblebarnes,

Thank you very much for reviewing us on TripAdvisor after your recent stay at Anantara Rasananda. I am sorry to hear that the resort did not live up to your expectations. I visited the rooms you stayed in and we started thinning out the plants surrounding them, to secure more light on the balcony.

Should you ever consider staying at any of our properties again, please do contact me directly.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

We staid at this resort for 5 nights. It was the highlight of our 3 week Thailand vacation. The service is excellent and very friendly. The food was better then anywhere else in Thailand. The room was beautiful and had it's own jacuzzi.
All in all the perfect spot. We will always remember it as we got engaged there. :)

• Stayed: November 2013
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Dear Lars270,

Thank you very much for your review after your recent visit at Anantara Rasananda. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you chose our resort for your engagement.

Now we hope we will get another opportunity to welcome you and your future wife to our little island paradise.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is the BEST hotel that we stayed at during our honeymoon in Thailand. The Rasananda is a beautiful and luxurious hotel, without feeling "fake". From the moment you step off the transfer, and the staff that waits there to greet you, you realize you have just entered paradise.

The highlight of the hotel is the staff. The level of service there is top notch, and they thought about every minor detail ahead of time. They help you with everything you could possibly need, and even when my husband was sick, the maid let the front desk staff know, and they stopped by to see how he was feeling, and even went out to the village to get him something to help. The following day, staff members we didn't know would stop him to ask how he was feeling. The staff, especially Zita, really knows each and every guest and does everything they can to make sure you have the best stay possible.

The beach is gorgeous and quiet, and the small village behind the hotel is charming (although very very small).

The rooms are very high quality, and very clean. It has a bunch of small surprises, including an evening treat in a banana leaf every evening! yummm.

The restaurant was a bit pricey, but the food is very good (including breakfast).

We can't recommend this hotel enough - and if you go, send Zita our regards :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2013

Dear Keshet640,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us. We all, but especially Khun Zita, are very proud to receive your comments.

Now we hope to welcome you back to our little island paradise in not too far future.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

We booked the last night of our trip here and we very glad we did. It's a beautiful hotel, the beach is perfect and you are well looked after by staff whilst on the loungers there. The food is excellent, we ordered off the lunch/bar menu, had the seafood buffet special for dinner and the buffet breakfast the following morning. For taste, the number of options and service we couldn't fault any meal. The spa is also excellent.

Note that the road from the pier to the hotel is still under construction and I wouldn't recommend travelling there by road anytime soon - we did and it was more of an "adventure" than luxurious! Much smoother to arrive by boat (and I get seasickness so that's really saying something!).

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alexjrobertson,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed the facilities and services we have to offer. Especially Don, our Executive Chef, is very proud on you comments of his culinary delights.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

If you are after a remote and idyllic location this hotel might hit your spots. It boasts lovely views and pristine white beaches. The service is good but not outstanding, dining experience and breakfast desire to be more inspiring and I'd say more adventurous. Breakfast – what a mediocre affair!!!
All in all my partner and I had a good but very boring stay in this good mediocre establishment. I am in my thirties but the hotel made me feel like I am in my 50s. The GM and Anantara chain must do something about this place to revive it. We learnt that the hotel was built by a Thai person 5 years ago and been under Anantara ownership for the last 2 years. If you are a frequent Asian traveller and have a weak spot like us for Thai luxury hotels, you will see that this hotel is out of the league. It feels very dated and "budgetty luxury" with 90s flavour to it. Whoever designed that hotel did not think through it clearly, and whoever built it saved on building materials as everything looks not premium but rather cheap… Brown painted wood everywhere – yhak….

Areas for improvement:

a) check in/out
We checked in at the peer in Koh Samui. For a "5* wanna be hotel" it is totally unacceptable. No pillow menu, no news paper preference, not even a single question about our flight, etc. Very impersonal....
We had to check in again when we reached Rasananda - passports and credit card again + 15,000 BHT (£300) authorisation???? plus face pictures for the guest file. How on earth they even introduced these? I have never seen such practices before. Authorisation (basically a deposit in case you run a big bill and disappear) + your picture take = we do not trust you/you are suspicious guests. Four couples checked in that day and we all had the same experience. Bizarre!!! Usually hotels take your credit card number very discreetly, but don’t charge you in advance and then refund, or ask for more in case you overrun. (This is not a casino!) Actually my final bill did not even show credit of +15,000 (it was process differently - I know not a standard audit/accounting practice) I had a long conversation with them on my check out, teaching them basics of accounting. It suggests that this hotel has a liquidity/treasury issue, as why would you pull guests money and record them on different books! The recognised standard is One room=one credit card= one bill for all transactions!

b) swimming pool. Very awkward design. A pool at the back is not even a pool. It looks and feels like a water feature.

c) social area/pool area/restaurant/swimming pool bar/sun chairs - all of it in one go! Everything sits on each other; small awkward space, people have breakfast just a meter away from people who expose themselves to morning sun.
The terrace in our villa did not have sun chair, but IKEA like folding chairs, so it was not that enjoyable either.

d) well-looked after, but very mature garden. Too dense, too tropical, too much. Jungles! Also, there are little ponds here and there, and as a result mosquitoes are everywhere. If they get rid of ponds and make the garden slicker and less dense it would not retain all that moisture that allows insects and mosquitos to thrive there. See what other hotels do! On a day of our departure there was mosquito fumigation process. Lovely…

e) Transfer. Speed boat transfer is only possible on a good day. If you travel during a low season (Oct-Feb) it is likely that you will be delivered to the southern part of the island and from there transferred by taxi to the north part where Rasananda is. 1/3 of the road from the south to the north is under construction and is clearly marked "Not for pubic use". Nevertheless the hotel ignores it and transfers people taking on a great risk! I cannot emphases more how dangerous the transfer was. If I were GM of the hotel I would immediately informed my head office and their insurance company that they use unauthorised public routs. Also, our taxi was not a 4x4 sitter, it was an open roof track used to transport builders. Safety belts were not functional as there were no buckles to fasten them. The road is 100% mud and is along jungles, we saw other cars stuck in mud and pooled by locals…Terrible…. We were lucky it did not rain otherwise we would have slipped into jungles in no time. The road is along jungle cliffs.
The hotel GM commented on someone’s review here that they use proper 4x4 cars, fully insured and staffed by the hotel’s English speaking drivers. What a lie, they only have one proper car which was not available the day we arrived. 4 couples were transferred to the hotel that day and we were all in an open track cars staffed by locals. The 5th track had all our luggages. It was so clear that they just hired those taxies quickly from locals by the peer (local taxi cost 300BHT, the hotel charges 3,500BHT) Also, the speed boat is not Anantara’s one, it looked like an outside company that provides its services to Rasananda and Buri Rassa hotel near by. (I have never seen an exclusive hotel that would share a boat with a neighbouring hotel which is a 3*only. If I were to run a 5* hotel I would never put my guests on the same boat with guests from a 3* hotel. I know it sounds snobbish, but this is what real hotel professionalism and class is about. Otherwise what’s the point of all the rankings). So transfer - very dubious practices, very unsafe, not clear who is responsible for what, mixture of different businesses that involved into transfer. If God forbids something happens to you during transfer NO insurance company will cover you as the hotel clearly uses unauthorised roads and local taxies without safety belts. Dear GM, you know that this is not an isolated incident; there are a few people on TA complaining about your transfer/taxi safety, please act on it. Devise an alternative safe route manned by professionals not locals!!! Don’t mix 5* service and a 3* - it is embarrassing, unprofessional and simply outrages! It is immoral to charge your guests 10x more local rates and provide such a poor/life threatening service to your guests.

f) general feel of the hotel – dated, boring, all activities they have are paid ones and provided by local companies. The hotel approach is not paved, feels rather neglected. Yoga teacher outsourced, she arrived late for our class, did not even introduce herself. After the class she gave us a duster and sanitizer and asked (4 people) to clean her yoga mats. What’s the hell????
Free alcohol in a room – what a bad taste…. What if you don’t drink (like us) or a Muslim family with kids??? No alternatives offered. A fruit or two would do for me personally
One restaurant, one swimming pool bar with no atmosphere, just dated furniture and brown painted wood and bamboo everywhere!

g) the hotel is full of European staff. From the Receptionist (no comments) to a very pleasant Italian waitress. A couple of days European managers and sub- managers and their Thai equals were rushing around the hotel, taking pictures, lecturing staff, finger pointing at ugly things, etc. Suggestion - do it at 6am when there are no guests around, but not at 11am!

A Tip - Buri village just outside the hotel is lovely. The Beach Club and the restaurant next to it - is so lovely, full of character and always vibrant; between 5-9pm it is the place to be. It has this lovely feel and atmosphere to it, you just want to sit and stare into the ocean forever. The hotel has their little coffee shop there too (part of the Village square) it is very nice and inviting unlike the rest of Rasananda

Among my favourite and luxuries hotels in Thailand are The Racha, Twin Palms, Casa de la Flora, Sala Phuket, Aleenta Phuket, Nakamanda

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Serhiolit
PAB77, General Manager at Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write about your stay at Anantara Rasananda on Trip Advisor.

First of all I am very sorry to learn that you left the resort disappointed with the services, facilities, food and beverages and in general nearly everything what the resort has to offer.

Clearly, this was not the Anantara experience you were anticipating and I sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations. We do take your comments seriously, and I have shared your comments with our team and we are addressing the concerning areas.

Thank you again for the valuable feedback and should you ever consider giving Anantara another chance, please contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ko Pha Ngan
Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort & Spa
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan
#1 of 91 in Ko Pha Ngan

Been to Anantara Rasananda Koh Phangan Villas? Share your experiences!