“Perfect accommodation”

Shiralea Backpackers Resort
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We read some reviews of this place beforehand and I wasn't sure I could believe it could be that good. But it really is a gem of a place, just awesome! Unfortunately I was quite ill while I was there but I couldn't think of a place I'd rather be to help sooth and recover, I should have had a massage from one of their on site masseurs. There was an issue for them with hostelworld over booking the fan room we originally booked so they gave us a free upgrade to an air-con room that they managed to have available for us when we got there with a bit of a rearrange. The staff were very friendly, I can't remember his name now but the brown haired guy was funny and seemed to be always on hand to help out. We had a great twin room in the end with two huge beds big enough for us to happily share one - we may have even been in a family room - the bathroom was massive! It was a leisurely stroll to the beach about 100 metres away and you pass two mo ped hire places along the way where you can pick one up to explore more of the island and then park on site overnight. Such great value for money, even more so when you compare it to the places just around the corner on the beach. We were there towards the end of August just gone at a time when there weren't any full moon, or half moon etc parties happening, but one of the staff did invite us to a party going on somewhere off site, I was just too ill to go along unfortunately!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Shiralea Backpackers Resort

Reviewed 3 October 2013

we stayed at shiralea on a contiki trip for the last 3 nights. it was a great place to wind down shame its ages away from anything but in a way thats good to keep you relaxed, they have a great bar and pool area and the staff are all amazing. its also nice and close to the beach. the food was fantastic espec breakfast. the rooms are great for a backpackers just two double beds and your own bathroom. for sure the comfiest beds we had on the whole trip! love how the have all the black lights set up for painting pre jungle parties. thanks for an awesome stay guys.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank kimmied1
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here in July 2013. Whilst we're not hardcore backpackers by any means, we liked what we had read and seen about Shiralea.. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by Josh, Nat, Muscles and Seb. We were shown around the facility and then to our rooms.. We stayed in the cheapest non air huts. They were clean, basic and worth the 600/night we paid for it. We would have preferred air con but they were fully booked.

The place had a great pool, TV/Movie lounge area, pool table, beer pong and lots of seating/lounging areas in the main bar/restaurant.. The food here is AMAZING. Both Thai and western food were of top quality standard and goes to show that the western owners have taken there time to teach the Thai/Burmese chefs how to make good western grub!

The staff were amazing too. Josh was very helpful in helping us with directions and recommendations, as well as supplying us with the odd cocktail/shots on the house. Seb actually made us a toasted sandwich long after the kitchen had closed, which again added to the overall experience and made me feel like these guys really just want you to have a good time and enjoy that time with you.

If you're a backpacker or just someone with an open mind and want to try something different then this is the place for you. The cost is pretty cheap, but the service and fun is priceless. I'd go back in a heartbeat!.. ENJOY!!

Room Tip: Book in advance as the air con rooms book out quickly!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I was here with a group on a Contiki tour and could not have asked for a better experience. I enjoyed the little bungalows and being set away from the common areas allowed for privacy and quiet. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. If there were any problems they were more then happy to help and had plenty of recommendations of things to do on the island. The food was delicious and service extremely fast. The bartenders encouraged a lively night life but always had recommendations if you wanted to go out elsewhere. I was traveling for 5 weeks and stayed at 15+ accommodations, Shiralea was hands-down my favorite. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I was here with 17 other people on contiki for 2 or 3 nights ...the rooms were really good beds were great... The food was the best food I had in 60 days I was away ..the night life was the best fun I had the whole trip from the glow in the dark night to going down to the beach to see a love band ... There is not one thing I can say wrong about this place if I was to say anything wrong this this place is that I coldnt stay longer then I did ... All def be going back the next time I am there ....

P.s. ring the bell ...shots

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in September. When i booked the place I was concerned I would feel a bit out of place as I'm in my 40s and guessed from there only being a couple of rooms available that they must have a tour booked in. I was willing to take the gamble though.

I am very glad I did. The Contiki tour seemed like a fun bunch and but not in your face. I got dragged off my barstool and face painted in a neon pattern which was funny, but I'm sure I would have been left alone had I wanted to be. I could here the music playing from the bar when I went to bed on 1 night but it certainly wasn't loud and I always carry earplugs when I am away. One definite plus of having the Contiki tour there, they ring the bell, a lot - I got very drunk for not much money on the first night!

The room was basic - bed, bath and fan, but clean and perfectly respectable for the money. The staff were great. They were helpful and friendly & they seemed attentive and chatty regardless of whether you were in the tour group or not and I never felt I was treated any differently to the people on the tour.

I would definitely stay here again. Its a very welcoming place and it has a pool for not much money at all, and it is very close to quite a nice beach. So if you are like me and a slightly older traveller, as long as you have a sense of fun I would say this is definitely a place to consider.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Barry3110
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Having been travelling for 8 weeks, this place became my home away from home. The staff are amazing, friendly, willing to help and a whole heap of fun! With delicious food, a clean pool, giant Jenga, beer pong, pool table & a tv there really is no reason to leave the hotel (except to actually explore the island). The massages are reasonably priced and are incredible. The beach is a 5 minute walk away. Although it is a 40 minute drive away from haad rin beach, the hotel holds a very fun Pre full moon party and organized shuttle buses to the party. I had more fun at the pre party than the actual party itself. The hotel also has a personal taxi driver who they are happy to call whenever transport is needed. The bungalows are very nice. Comfortable double bed with a fan, safe, clean big bathroom with hot water and high pressure shower and a hammock out the front! I would highly recommend staying here! Thanks for a great 6 days boys!

• Stayed: September 2013