“Relaxed atmosphere, nice bungalows”

Shiralea Backpackers Resort
Hamburg, Germany
“Relaxed atmosphere, nice bungalows”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

The hostel is very nice, bungalows are clean and comfy. The restaurant is good value and there is even a DVD-TV-Area to chill. The pool is also a refreshing alternative to the beach, which is very close and beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I had the best time- the staff of Shiralea were awesome! I was a solo traveler on a contiki trip and the vibe there allowed everyone to have the greatest experience. The place was clean and well kept, everyone was super friendly and looking to meet others. From paint parties to outdoor movie theaters, from thai massages to home made food and of course the infamous ringing of the bell. I loved my time at Shiralea and recommend it to anyone traveling Koh Pha Ngan. Love and Light!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
San Diego
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed here for 9 nights. Apart from the value for money, everything was amazing. The way the place is set up is awesome. It's spacious enough to not be ontop of everyone else, but the common areas allow you to meet new people. I came here as a single traveller and met many people. I stayed in 2 different rooms- coconut visage and bamboo village. Bamboo village is the basic necessity's, and very clean. Coconut village rooms are bigger and have air con. Also very nice. It is a 2 min walk to haad yoa beach which is beautiful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else! The staff are amazing and make everyone feel at home and included! I have met young people and families. Great place for everyone!

• Stayed January 2014
Ljubljana
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Staff at Shiralea is unbelievably nice, welcoming and helps gladly with any perks - we definitely had a few and it seem they helped us gladly. Their restaurant was the breaking point for us to taste again some western food after two weeks of travel - we loved it, delicious burgers, pork balls, pancakes, fresh fruit etc. And the famous frozen margaritas and mojitos ... On the spot also a clean pool and massage, peaceful banana tree garden with hens and birds.

Bungalows are basic, but clean. They usually come with an authentic Thai pet (little gekko) included in price, that eats away any mosquito, that my wander into your room. :) Seriously, don't be afraid of it, it won't probably even show up, when you're around the bungalow.

If I had to recommend only one single place/accommodation based on my experience in Thailand, that would definitely be Shiralea!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katja K
Zutendaal, Belgium
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great staf, great place! It was the best hostel we have seen in our three months journey! You feel like family from the first minute. Our children loved the place! Great meals. 'Welcome home' and 'You are more than welcome', quotes from the staff: it tells enough. You have to book at Shirelea to feel what we can't explain!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Goedele G
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This place is fantastic. My friends and I spent 3 nights there and never wanted to leave. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, food is fantastic, and great bungalows. There is Wi-Fi in the common areas, it's within a 3 minute walk to the beach, and there are always people to meet and talk to. It was the longest we stayed at a place during our vacation to Thailand and we did not want to leave! I mean, how can you want to leave a place that offers you a drink before you even check in?! I love the tab situation too-no need to pay as you go. For 3 nights, all my meals there, drinks, laundry, tuktuk rides to parties, and an elephant ride I paid under $100. I really cannot rate this place high enough! If you go to Thailand, make sure you come here. You will not regret it for a second.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cara G
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I normally don't bother writing reviews, but this place really amazed me. I've been living in Thailand for several months and have stayed in many hostels, hotels, etc, but this place is truly a gem. I stumbled upon Shiralea while browsing HostelWorld, trying to find relatively cheap but decent accommodation for the full moon party. The good reviews and interactive website were what sold me. Upon arrival, I was impressed by the cleanliness and ambiance of the place. The second we walked into the "office", aka the bar/lounge area, we were welcomed by the most amazing staff I've encountered during my time in Thailand (and even in most parts of the world tbh). We were offered a drink before even sitting down, and I can't remember their names for the life of me, but the redhead and brunette lady, and the guys were really friendly and made us feel right at home. They even arranged transportation for us and taxis for a few tours that we did. The chill area they have is awesome, and it's definitely a great place to meet fellow travelers. The night of the full moon party, they had a pre drinking and painting party, which helped set the mood for a great night. The bungalow was great and had a hammock on the porch to chill out on if you wanted. The beach is beautiful, NOT crowded (unlike the beach where full moon takes place), and is literally a 3 minute walk down the path. I would highly suggest this place. Thanks Shiralea staff for a great time! Can't wait to get back to Koh Phangan.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends