“Lovely hotel, lovely island”

Haadlad Prestige Resort & Spa
Ranked #66 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 17 June 2010

We booked to stay here with very good deal on internet( normally we not book this class of room but on thatdate price and condition is accept able). The weather was very bed on first day we arrivaled but in next morning everything was better, we got 32-35c' all day time for the rest of our Phangan trip. Hotel location is perfect, on the not busy beach but can reach shops and restaurants nearby. Our hut was on left side, we got sea and swimming pool view from our terrace. This is very relax holiday everything on this island is running slow. Staff is very helpful and friendly, room is clean with no bugs. A bit surprise this is about 3.5 stars resort but staff at front desk can rerember my name !! Food here is just averate from my view, the price quite resonable. What should be improve is the song they open during breakfast, they open FIFA World Cup song.

Over all we like this hotel we will come back but after i finished my project in Bangkok.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe4U

Reviewed 13 June 2010

We have just spent eight nights at Haadlad Prestige Resort. We want to have a relaxing time and good holiday. We were lucky to find this place and the cost is fitted the budget perfectly. In the resort, the restaurant is nice and they served good breakfast and because the resort is intimate, guests have changed to know each other in the dining room or swiming pool area. The staffs are warm and accommodating. The full moon party is so funny, we went back our room almost in the morning on next day.

The best spot to spend your holiday. Keep up the wonderful customer service!

4  Thank peter_msn
Reviewed 18 May 2010

My expectations of the Haadlad 'Prestige' (and this term should be used in the loosest possible sense) resort were not great following recent reviews I had read, but I was hopeful of the few decent reviews that had been written. As a wedding gift to my new husband I paid for an upgrade to one of the Superior Villas and kept it as a surprise for when we arrived - it all seemed so perfect........

We arrived on Ko Phangan, got a taxi from the port and were then dropped off at the end of dirt track where we then had to drag our luggage to the 'resort'. At this point my heart was sinking. We arrived at reception, the girl on reception seemed friendly, we checked in and were asked to pay a deposit for the safe key, we were then, and take note here folks this bit is important, were given a piece of paper with the number combination for the safe. We queried the safety aspect of this and were assured the combinations were changed as every new guest arrived.

We were shown to the villa which comprised of a small dark bedroom, with a small basic and not very clean bathroom attached. The decor of the bedroom was horrendous, false dark wood panels, false flowers, gaudy mirrors. The 'villa' looked straight onto the pool, that was full of guests sunbathing, so there was absolutely no privacy if the curtains were open, which just added to the dark, dingy feel of the place. It’s worth noting the sizes of the rooms stated on the website include the outside decked area too, with the completely filthy and totally unusable outdoor hydro spa tub. The towels provided were old, with rather hilariously 'stolen from Haadlad Prestige Resort on them - quite who would want to steal them is beyond me. We tried to settle in and decided to put our valuables in the safety deposit box so we could go for a walk about, this is when we found an identical piece of paper to the one we had been given at reception with the exact same four security numbers, my partner examined the safe and confirmed they were the type of safes for which the security numbers cannot be changed on and everyone who stays there will have the same code, thus making it not a very secure safety deposit box.

I then proceeded to put some rubbish in the bin, only to be faced with the previous occupants used contraceptives. I called reception and asked for it is removed, two ladies arrived and I asked very reasonably if they could empty the contents of the bin, they were very rude to me, almost questioning me and making me feel like I had just totally inconvenienced them. At this point I felt I had completely ruined my husband and I's honeymoon by coming to this hell hole. Please don't be fooled by the clever photography on the website, Haadlad is situated right at the far end of Salad Beach and does not have beautiful white sands in front of it, rather the end of a lovely beach then a rocky/muddy outcrop, not unattractive you understand but not as is advertised on the web.

Evening approached, music blared out from the restaurant (they played the same Eva Cassidy song five times, a tad annoying). We queried whether to eat at the resort but as no one else seemed to be eating there we decided to walk down the beach and find something else - which we very fortunately did and what a wonderful meal we had. We then went back to Haadlad for an uncomfortable night in the bed made up from a thin sheet and a scratchy old blanket, I woke up in tears the next morning, and my poor partner did not know what to do, not helped by the half dead cockroach in the doorway to the ‘villa’.
We then went to the fly infested buffet breakfast and it was then we decided to put 'operation escape from Haadlad' into action. We walked down the beach to the bar we had eaten at the night previous, had a decent coffee and cup of tea, inquired about their bungalows and duly booked in. We went back to Haadlaad packed, (although we had never really unpacked) and got out of the filthy, unfriendly, cheap, nasty place. The general aura of the place was that they wanted your money but other than that they could not be bothered - there was a list a mile long of do's and don’ts, largely resulting in guests having to pay additional money i.e. additional charge for room service in case insects get in the room!

I would highly recommend Haad Salad to anyone, it's a beautiful place, with lots of friendly bars, lovely bungalows and a wonderful coral reef, but don't waste your money on Haadlad Prestige Resort like I did, it is truly the most horrendous place I have ever been, but it was worth losing the money and moving elsewhere to prevent our honeymoon been completely ruined.

I took loads of pics if you want to see them please get in touch, I'd be happy to share them : - )

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tomato123tiger
Reviewed 9 May 2010

If you get a deal, this place could be okay. Located at the verrrryyyy end of Salad Beach on a very narrow strip of beach (keep in mind you can sit anywhere you want on the beach). Our room was average, was basically clean but sheets were thin. Bathroom was a bit awkward in set up but fine. Internet is available in the lobby, although it is not free. Pool is small, with recliners and umbrellas around it. There was a breakfast buffet but since we had gotten a discount flyer off the pier it wasn't included for us, so we ordered a la cart - seemed a bit pricey for Thailand. Overall, I do understand how people would be upset if they had paid full price (our 'superior' room regular price was $100 and is absolutely not worth it) but for the $25 deal we got it was fine.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank goodtraveling
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Do not go there, if you want to enjoy your Ko Phangan holidays.
We booked a superior room for 2 nights via internet. Once we came there, we had to pay in advance our entire stay before checking in. This should have already warned us, but we had no idea it could be so bad.
The superior room is described as a 36 square meters room. We found a small room with a dirty toilet. The room was for sure not bigger than 15 square meters.
The got only one towel per person, and the towels were really dirty.
The water in the bathroom was salty.
All our questions and complains were simply ignored or answered in a rough way with some absurd statements like "but it is 36 square meters" or "the water is salty cause it was raining"...
The restaurant had nice thai food, but since it is called "seafood", we expected some fresh seafood. However, the stuff at the restaurant was gentle.
There is not a beach of the hotel, but a piece of sand in front of the stairs leading to the hotel.
We run away from there as soon as we could. We actually took our luggages during the evening and moved to the next resort for our second night, even if this has been already payed in advance at Haadlad.

Reviewed 8 April 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night when we arrived on Ko Phangan. We got a brochure on the pier offering rooms at a fraction of the cost (like a third the high season prices). Based on that, perfectly average. We would never consider staying here for the full price and I can understand why people would be disappointed if they did in fact pay the full listed price.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TorCan_IK
Reviewed 6 April 2010

the hotel is well located and has a very nice beach. we took a superior room for 4 nights and it was spacious and clean. But to be honest, if you take a higher grade room this place is alot better which it beyond our budget. Good resturant for dining you can ask them for special fish, just tell them 1 day in advance.

Good things
- At reception you can find Computer+webcam+microphone(charge of course).
- Hotel located on beach no road between you and the beach.
- Friendly staff ( both hotel staff and area nearby)
- Good Thai food and nice BBQ fish.
- Many restaurants nearby.
- Extremly peaceful.

Bad things
- The road to access hotel is very steep.
- Don't have bath tub in our room type.
- Can't find Gym around there.

Summary:
We booked to stay by email to hotel to hope that we can get lower rate but after researched so hard we found the rate is very close to book by website( it's about 5-6% lower when you transfer money to the hotel inadvnce).
Anyway they got our email address,we will go back if they could give us some discount for return guest :-)

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lemonbird80