“Inexpensive stay for 3 almost on the beach”

Haad Yao Over Bay Resort
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Inexpensive stay for 3 almost on the beach”
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Surprisingly big hotel for Phangan, but well located in the corner of the white long beach. Average breakfast, very expensive restaurant at night - better to go to the next hotel on the beach;) overall good to stay here for the first two nights to overcome the jet lag.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Turkish first
Norwich
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Great views from the bungalow but that does mean a steep uphil climb but we didn't mind that, I would not recomnend this place for people with mobility issues.

We found the staff quite friendly, our room was adequate but there was no where to hang clothes or any drawers!! The room was not cleaned once or tended to once while we were there (5 nights).

It's a fairly quiet laid back resort but I think there are better places in Had Yao to stay.

The beach is fantastic by day or by night, as there are plenty of places to eat and drink which are all nicely lit up at night. Haad Yao was our favourite place by far.

• Stayed March 2013
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

I have been travelling to Thailand for 15 years and never experience such bad service an pushy staff.

When I got there, they didn't show me the bungalow, but wanted me to book for 10 days. I said I'll leave when I leave, still this was an argument when I wanted to check out. The Bungalows at the top of the hill (1200 baht) are nice, but not well cleaned. The lower and cheaper bungalows (600Baht) have the worst beds ever. All rooms has a very nice view though.

The pool is extremely dirty and I could not even see the bottom of the pool. The staff also admit this and complained that they could not change water. They could not answer me why the cleaning system was shut down as well.

"Livemusic every night" is actually two constantly drunk thaiguys, not having more than 10 songs which they played over and over, night after night. Really bad too.

Wifi is included but does only work in the restaurant. A wifi is setup for the whole resort but the former owners cancelled it and the new owners have no idea that they even have a wifi and how to connect it to their new connection.

I could not agree more about the previous reviews. The upkeep of the place is really bad and also the service is worst I have experienced in Thailand.

They have a booking service for trips and such but none of the ~10 people staff could help me with any tickets at all even though they were really pushy to sell. They could not even manage to get me a taxi for my departure. When I booked a fishing tour, they never came to pick me up so I went by myself to the boat, but the boat was never booked so I was waiting for nothing on the beach for 4 hours.

The food is not ok other than the thai dishes. But the thaifood is very spicy, and is made for thaipeople. Not farangs. They were laughing in the customers face when they could not eat the food. I have never experienced this before and I hope that this place changes owners real soon!

I would not recommend this place at all. Any bungalow is better than this.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank AlCurrent
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The bungalow we had was amazing. Quite a trek up the hill to get to it as we had one of the ones right at the top of the resort but it was well worth it as it had amazing views of the bay and jungle. Our bungalow had a balcony with comfortable chairs, table and a hammock. The inside of the bungalow was stunning - clean sheets, king sized bed, tv with lots of channels (english and thai), a fridge, and the bathroom was nice too with a hot shower. The room was air conditioned and had lots of windows so we woke up every morning to a view of the sea - perfect! The pool was nice. Really quiet (other than the sounds of the jungle). The staff were really helpful although only one of them spoke good english. The restaurant served really nice food with lots of vegetarian options and you could also buy drinks and snacks to take back up to your bungalow. They arranged a taxi for us to take us up to Chaloklum which was very reasonable too. We will definitely be going back here as it was so peaceful and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Helsinki
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Stayed here for a week. The whole time the staff was acting very weird. The staff was constantly asking questions where we'd go and where did we buy our trips and stuff. They were very irritated if we didn't use their service. All and all they were VERY PUSHY all the time. Didn't feel FREE here, which is an unpleasant feeling when you are traveling. Sometimes the staff was nice to us but the overall impression was very negative.

Bare in mind that it is NOT allowed to bring ANY food or drink to your room (even if you have an empty minibar in your room!). I guess the reason for this is that they want you to buy products from their restaurant instead of 7-11.

The service at the restaurant is possibly the worst I've ever seen. Even if there were only 2 tables that had customers they somehow managed to bring FIVE times the wrong order (I'm not kidding here). The food itself is good if you manage to get what you ordered.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. If you go here, the top rooms are really good (but pricey). Cheapest bungalows ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank reiska77
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

When we got off the ferry a lady gave us a brochure for this place and the taxi was cheaper than all of the others so we gave it a look.

We were shown a really nice bungalow for 1000 baht a night (way more than our budget!) they didn't have any other rooms but as we wanted to stay 6 nights they gave us the nice room for 2 nights and then we moved to a decent enough fan bungalow for the next 4 nights all for 400 baht a night. The nice bungalow and the cheaper room both had beautiful views!

The staff here were really friendly with us and when we had a problem (eg the shower was cold) they soon sent someone up to sort it. Breakfast is a bit overpriced but the rest of the food is reasonable and tasty. We spent most days by the pool, which is a bit 'cloudy' but it's so hot we didn't care n still jumped in!

There is a lot of stairs though!

• Stayed January 2013
Moscow
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Very beautiful view, but very stip hill. When we arrived do the resort, the man on the reception told, that he knows nothing about our booking and we need to pay for our bungalo. After 1 hour talk he found our reservation and we got room. After that we ate in the restaurant, but we got a bill for 2400 baht. We told, that our we ordered dishes that cost 1500 baht. After speaking with the the boss of resort, the bill was recalculated to 1500. After 8 of january we forund the better place. Highly don't recommend.

Room Tip: choose another resort
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple