“Good but not Great”

Salad Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #40 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Our stay at Salad Buri was for a total of 5 nights and while we enjoyed our stay overall there are many things this resort could do better.

Pro's:

Great location if you want a peacefull less lively part of Koh Phangan
Nice big clean Pool with lovely views
Rooms are clean and well presented
Premier room had great views
Salad Beach was lovely and peaceful
Free Wifi
Cleaning staff were really good
Seafood BBQ at salad buri was amazing

Con's:

If you have any mobility issues this is not the place to stay. The stairs to the rooms are steep and narrow. The Pool has poor access with no steps in between levels making it hard to get from level to level.
The biggest disappointment was the staff, generally uninterested and poorly trained. Some staff seemed to have no customer service skills at all. We saw several guest bring up issues with staff about there stay and rooms and we treated with total disregard and contempt.
The Pool towel system was frustrating as your towels were only changed if left in the room. Cleaning was done in the best part of the day to sit in the pool.

Overall we enjoyed the location and the beauty of the resort. The most frustrating thing about staying here was the missed opportunity for the hotel which has the potential to be an amazing resort but unfortunately falls short due to the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 July 2013

We loved our stay at Salad Buri and Salad beach in Koh Phangan. The room was a very nice and large and the service from check in to check out was very friendly and honest. The beach side pool was pretty amazing to say the least and we spent many an afternoon enjoying it and the pool bar.

If there is anything to complain it could be maybe the pool towels could be refreshed - but it was such a minor thing and probably it it being contemplated already by the hotel.

We will come for sure.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lui Chin H
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed here for a few days detox after the half moon party. The resort was total paradise. Our few days here was the highlight of our holiday. The staff are so friendly and the resort itself is situated on the beach front but the pool over looks the beach. My friend was getting two massages daily. The rooms are situated on the cliff over looking the beach and the resort and there is a few movie channels available so it really is a great place to detox and relax after partying in haad rin.

Room Tip: Chose the hill top rooms as they have the best views
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Reggie89
Reviewed 18 July 2013

My experience at Salad Buri covered mixed impressions. I booked the cheapest room "Standard Room" (20 sqm) for 4 nights but was not satisfied with it for several reasons. It was located in a bungalow with a bigger room directly beside. The door to my room was not a regular one (The doors of my room were 2 bi fold, glass doors...) and I could hear everything the guests staying beside were doing and talking about. I did not feel having privacy and there was also no balcony to sit outside. After the check in the employee who drove my to the room asked me if I am interested in "encounters" with local woman, and only 2 hours later I had 3 cleaning ladies coming into the room without any earlier announcement. After this unpleasant experiences I talked to a manager at the front desk and asked if I could upgrade to another room. Instead of having the room I originally booked for 4 nights (for 1500 baht a night) I asked for another room for 2 nights (for 3200 baht a night) and that I would like to pay 400 bath more for the difference. He said it's not possible because of their policy and agreement they have with booking.com. Therefore I called them and they told me that this is not true and that it could be changed anytime as long the minimum amount I agreed to pay would be covered. When I got the motorbike and when I returned it the same manager told me just to go outside (but there was no one) or to wait for 2 minutes (without anyone coming for more than 15 minutes). I did not feel from him the flexibility or hospitality I usually experience in other 4 star hotels. After 3 days I could change my room and I got an incredible good value for the room "Private Pool Villa" (77 sqm) I finally stayed for another 2 nights. It was only twice as expensive as the room before, but offered me 4 times more space. I had a lot of privacy, a lot of space, an amazing view and a very nice little private outdoor pool. I actually could stand in the pool and work from there on my computer which was a great experience. Their big pool located directly at the beach was clean and big and the hotel is located in a beautiful, calm, clean and safe area. In general the employees were very friendly and tried everything to make my stay comfortable and convenient. I really love dogs and also could share very nice times with very loving dogs which are also present in this area. The hotel is located only about 3 miles from an amazing Yoga Center (Agama Yoga) nearby and this was one of the main reasons why I decided to stay at Salad Buri. The hotel is also located directly at a gorgeous bay with white sand (but you actually can't swim there during the summer months because the water is to shallow). All in all I would stay again at Salad Beach. I can recommend Salad Buri, but only if you stay in one of the better rooms. You can find better deals for smaller rooms at other places.

Room Tip: Don't get the standard room, but the private pool bungalow offers great value.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Haad Salad has to be one of the best bays on the island. Not too much development and pleasantly uncrowded and peaceful during low season.
Salad Buri resort is very pretty with cute looking villas incorporating outcropping rock on the hillside. Drawback number one (not mentioned on websites): although there is transport on golf buggies if you need it, access to most villas involves a pretty stiff climb up steep steps which would be very challenging to anyone with reduced mobility. Ditto the three-tiered pool complex which has no steps between levels. Just stupid.
Our deluxe pool villa had a very nice outdoor area with a plunge pool, terrace and swing loveseat. Very cute, which made the poor use of space inside all the more striking. The villa has a decent sized family area with bed and convertible dayseat to put up the kids. The master bedroom, however was so cramped with a queen bed in that it was downright hazardous to access the bathroom during the night, and the closet doors could not be fully opened because of the bed.
Next downside: meals and drinks at the restaurant, bar and pool cannot be signed to rooms, so you must carry cash or cards. Tabs cannot be run at the pool, so you have to disrupt your relaxation to settle every round of drinks as you go. God knows why the resort has such a stupid system, but it is a real pain in the backside.
Although reception and general staff were pleasant and helpful, the restaurant staff we encountered were hopeless and got orders wrong. Maybe they were new...
All in all, this resort is a great concept translated into a bad design with sub-standard systems and dodgy service. I do not think the room we took justified the normal high season rack rate of $500+.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Although out of the way the location is breathtaking. We were given a room quite high up beautifully decorated and with a terrace which had a hot tub/jacuzzi.the view was outstanding. We made the mistake of upgrading to a pool villa which was great but becauseclower down we lost our view . The staff are constantly cleaning the resort. The pools are lush. We haven't come across any off the negativity previous reviews have stated. We hired a moped and went off around the island after two days of pure relaxtion. So much to see and fall upon by accident.good fun. Breakfast was fine good variation and always fresh.
Lots of nice places to eat along the beachI
Definitely a place to unwind and completely chill.

Be back next year for sure.for the money we paid itwas our own piece of heaven x

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank sarahjw44
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Pretty hard to get around places, it is for people who wants privacy and travel all the way to Koh Phaghan just to stay at the hotel. stare at the sea, and swim...
We have to pay everything extra at the fullest price possible to get around places because the entrance is quite a challenge to ride the motorbike or even to drive.
Also the seafood bar, claimed to be catch of the day, were quite a ripped off. 2,500 Baht a kilo for overcooked river prawns which is twice the price for what you could really get in Samui.
The head of housekeeper were not very welcoming, loud and noisy on her radio. She tends to be annoy when we were swimming in the swimming pool and its her time to sweep around the area for some reason.
My next trip to Koh Phaghan I would pay a bit more for hotels that I could travel around without the transportation from the hotels which means I could eat anywhere else for more reasonable price and enjoy my time...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends