“Poor management, no attention to detail”

Salad Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #33 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Poor management, no attention to detail”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Whilst it's plain to see that Salad Buri Resort and Spa used to be of high quality, the quality has clearly deteriorated with an obvious lack of management and no attention to detail. My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon here and were very disappointed at several aspects of the hotel: the staff were very unfriendly and a far cry from the polite and friendly Thai staff we had become accustomed to in Koh Samui. Additionally, we stayed in both a premier room and a private pool room and both were not in the condition we had expected - the sheets in the premier room were over-washed and we had to request a change of sheets in the private pool room due to stains on the initial ones provided. There was a sign on the outdoor jacuzzi bath in the premier room listing it as "hot tub only" which indicates either a poor cost saving measure or it has been out of order and no effort was going to be made in fixing it, nor where there any blinds available outdoors to provide privacy whilst in the jacuzzi. Breakfasts were disappointing with a distinct lack of variety. It's certainly got the potential to get back to being a solid 4 star but will require serious management intervention.

• Stayed December 2013
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your comment as it will be very useful for future improvement. Also, I would like to apologize that we were unable to satisfy your needs and unable to make you feel happy while staying with us. However, regarding to the Jacuzii on outdoor balcony, we claim it to be the "Hot tube" instead of jacuzii, not for a purpose of cost saving, but it would be much easier for our management process.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Warsaw
Reviewed 20 December 2013

There is always something that irritates a simple human mind- bed, thick sand, close/far to reef, weather, somebody's lack of smile etc. And of course here too there were some minor things, but, I am giving 5 stars because:
- Housekeeping was excellent - it was like moving in to a brand new room every day - perfect cleaning with all these nice towel sculptures..niiiiice
- Lots of kids around - good for us. and the staff ( everybody really) was SUPER NICE to both us and our baby daughter Nina. In previous comments I read about them being rude - never happened to us - on the contrary. What's interesting - I also read about 'super-friendly' staff at nearby restaurant ( can't remember the name salad hut bungalows or sth like that) - which again in our case was not really the case - we felt they are not really that much children-friendly ( pretty good food though) .

- Restaurant is so…so- we preferred to eat elsewhere - it's OK once a while , but not as good as the rest of the place ( at least in November 2013) .
- Great place to snorkel ( out of 14 days 2 were good to do that , but if you are coming at one other time-do it ( reef about 130 mtrs from shore).
- The beach itself is great- we still go there from time to time - small and not too much party. very soft sand, very cool- lots of shade ( NOV) - we liked it - to some it could be too quiet probably.

WE had a pool villa - if you're coming in November you might want to take sth else ( did not use the pool much - too cold) - like a jaccuzi room.
No mosquito net was a problem - we got bitten pretty hard by sandflies/ mosquitoes.
don't know why cheap places use them and upscale don't..

Room Tip: if you're coming in November you might want to take sth else ( did not use the pool much - too c...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tomasko
Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your nice review and I am very appreciate that you were happy while staying with us. Also, I would like to say thank you for your suggestion about the mosquito net as it helps to remind me about the importance of having it, in which I'll take the soonest action. Last, I hope that Salad Buri would have a chance to welcome you again in this near future.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is my third time at the hotel and it was very surprising to realize how much quality dropped in the hotel. Facilities not maintained correctly, very bad internet connection, mosquito and small animals in rooms and facilities, and really bad breakfast. it's sad to see how things changed here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ghassan R
Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your third time visited Salad Buri. Also, I would like to apologize for all those things that let you down. However, there are severals things that I would like to explain, first, regarding to the internet connection problem, this is really out of our control as the main signal trasmitter is on the mainland, everytime that there is the connection problem, we then have to contact them and have to wait until the action will be taken by them. Also, sometime the internet connection is depends on the whether. Second, problem related to mosquito and small animal, these two things are also out of our control as we can't eliminate the nature of animal cycle. Lastly, for the breakfast we are currently try to find the most approproate solution for this.

All in all, I would like to apologize gain for making you feel disappointed, but please believe that we did try the best that we can to satisfy and maintain our value guest.

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 1 December 2013

very bad experience....not a 4star hotel ...very low quality services and dirty room.
the personal of the hotel was not friendly and helpful.
the room was small and dirty and personal wont'clean every day. not good relation between price and services offered.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ainur M
Dear Sir/Madam

Regarding to your complaint it seems like you have not enjoy your stay with us and I would like to apologize for that. However, I know that there are several things regarding to the service quality that need to be improved, but please understand that we did try our best to satisfy customers' need, although, it is impossible to response to all of the needs. In addition, I would not reject that our service quality does not meet the 4* hotel standard, but the room prices that we offer are not for the 4* hotel as well. We did offer the price much less than the 4* hotel on purpose to compensate the lower service quality when compared to those standard 4 stars. Lastly, I would like to say thank you for your complaint as it would be useful for us to use it for future improvement.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We booked the premier room which has a big jacuzzi on balcony and it was amazing! The room itself was overall nice but the bathroom smelled, plus after we had a shower the water didn't drain and it was all over the bathroom. The bed sheets felt unpleasant. Breakfast was great and also the pool. The hotel is right on the beach and the rooms are on a hill so it has a beautiful view.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dali1705
Dear Sirs/Madams

First, I would like to say thank you for choosing to stay with us and I appreciated that over all it sounds like you like to room that we've prepared for you. Also, I would like to say thank you for your comments as it will be very useful for us to make a progress on future improvement. Lastly, we hope that Salad Buri would have a chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Salad Buri's Teams
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We turned up on 4 October with no booking and decided to stay a night, - we stayed 8 in total!! I have been to Koh Pha Gnan a few times before and have usually stayed in budget bungalows but we decided to go a little more up market this year. Haad Salad has changed massively over the years but its still a lovely place to stay if you like a bit of peace and quiet.

The hotel itself was lovely 3 pools to choose from and loungers that are around the pools and also on the beach which is steps away. We stayed in the standard room which was up the steepest incline I have ever seen or you can take steps if you cant be bothered nan will take you in his golf buggy.

Staff are lovely and although we stayed out of season which was nice and quiet we still got looked after.

Breakfast was nice and there were choices from fruit to omelette and bacon etc so something for everyone and to sit at a table looking out at the beach and sea was so relaxing.

THe cleaners have a little spot near our room and they were fab really built up a rapport with the girls and in return for me leaving them sweets they left me fabulous towel animals and flower petals on my bed each day, it made my holiday.

My only feedback to Buri was that there wasn't any service around the pool apart from on one day where we were given a cover for the sunbed (they get hot) so we just placed towels around them.

I cant comment on the massage or spa area as didnt go, our room albeit up a big hill the views of the sunset and sunrise were fabulous from our bed. Miss that view!

We spent 3 weeks in Thailand and travelled all over but next year we will certainly be coming back to Buri.

Room Tip: If you dont mind the hill go for a room up high
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 169NadZ30
Dear Sirs/Madams

First, I would like to say thank you for your review as it would be very useful for us to process further improvement on those particular area that still need be improved. Also, I would like to say thank you truely from my heart and I will be very appreciated to welcome you again. Besides, for your next visit I am sure that you would see some progress of the improvement.

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Staff was absolutely unpolite, unprepared and simply rude. Something that in Thailand you don't expect. We spent there 10 nights!!! After 3 I personally went and spoke with the hotel manager which is just too proud of himself and narrow minded. He simply did not get the message... Then we stayed there as the rooms are comfortable and we were anyway there just for sleeping and relaxing in the evening. They don't have an accessible beach but a big pool which is not actually where you want to spend your time while in thailand where beaches and sea is amazing. Food and service very poor, especially the breakfast which was almost disgusting.
Staff is not professionals at all and is very lazy. Avoid this place to spend less for a much better service which you can get almost everywhere else in Phangan.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Giovanni C
Montri P, Guest Relations Manager at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Dear Value Guest

Every piece of your comment towards the hotel will be very useful for us. Regarding to the case that you was experiencing while staying at the hotel, we accept that our service is not as perfect as those five stars hotel, but we always try to make it better. Second, for the breakfast we think we did met the standard of hotel's breakfast providing. However, as we still received complaint we will then bring this issue into staff meeting and will surly improve. Third, our hotel did located infront of the beah and there is an accessibility to the beach. As you have mentioned that there is no beach accessible, we are strongly confirm that yes, there is a beach accessible. However, due to the period that you was staying is likely to turn into rain season. Therefore, the sea level might goes high than usual and if the sea level goes too high, then it makes the beach look very small. All in all, we would like to say sorry for making you disatisfy while staying with us, but we did want you to know that we did try to do as best as we could to make our value guest be happy and satisfy with the service provided by the hotel. Also, we will not stop improving our operation and service, so that in the future if we have a chance to welcome you again the things that you complainted on will definitely not happens again.

Salad Buri team