“isolated, beautiful, quiet, relaxing, great cookery course, expensive.”

Salad Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“isolated, beautiful, quiet, relaxing, great cookery course, expensive.”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

the journey to the resort is not for the faint hearted!!! the transfer organised by the resort gives you peace of mind but you can do it yourself much more cheaply.
Haad Salad is stunning...it looks like the bounty advert. we have some beautiful pics.
great pool villa, polished floors, lots of seating, plenty of space. Although on the dark side of the hill during February it's always in shade. And overgrown trees meant our ocean view was limited... but we didn't mind. When the temp was in the 30's your own shaded pool area was fantastic. kept clean on a daily basis. quite a hike up the steep hill to your room but golf carts can take you up if the hips and knees are bothering you!
Biggest negative was the bed linen. it was like sleeping on sandpaper - for a luxury resort and the poshest on the beach they really need to replace the old bobbled linen.
I had to turn mine nearly every night to a smooth spot! aircon worked well.
pool area lovely and clean. although broken tiles meant the pool was out of use for three days while they did the repair (they didn't keep the water moving in the bigger pool so it got all murky and uninviting.)
while we were there they swapped the beautiful (although worn) solid teak beds... to plastic without a mat... not good.
we took the cookery course. Just for one would have been enough. they should do an offer of 4 recipes for two rather than 3 each.... too much. However Poompooyay, the chef was fabulous.
Unfortunately this was not reflected in the restaurant meals which didn't taste anything like the fresh fragrant food we had made with the chef. we found other places to eat.
Breakfast had plenty on offer.
the location is isolated and very beautiful, all of the seafront restaurants and hotels clear the sand of the previous days rubbish (bottles, cigarette butts etc.) so it always looks clean.
the sea is very safe but isn't so easy to get into though because of all the sharp broken coral... the future white sand...very sore on your feet... if i were taking children i'd definitely take the jellos for their feet.
you have to head up...and up....(take oxygen) then down into haad yao if you want some shops, up over the hill as drinks, snacks etc are very expensive. other restaurants are much more reasonable for drinks and food.

Room Tip: pool villa with sea view fantastic. didn't like the look of the lagoon villa as on view to every...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you for such a nice review, every single bit of your would be very useful for us to make further improvement. We, Salad Buri team hope that we would have a chance to welcome you again in the soon future

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This is a sham of a resort. I visit Thailand 3-4 times a year with my business, and having to come to Haad Salad to conduct most of my work - its normal I stay on the bay. Having tried 3 others on the bay this time around we decided to try Salad Buri. Wow what a bad choice.....
First lets stat off with the welcoming.. or should I say lack of. In a land of smiles this resort has none.. we were shown to our Pool Villa with cold water, no light and no view (even though asking 3 times if it was Ocean view) we then had to move villas after no hot water - (fair enough)
For our trip, like always I rented a moped... I always take care in driving around the Island having seen some horrific crashes and incidents. On hiring the bike we looked closely at the bike and ensured it was in perfect condition - My bad it seemed I didnt check UNDER the bike where they billed me on check out 2000 BHT for a part missing!!!! Seriously this is a scam at its worst. Nothing I could say would help and the more I pleaded the more guilty I sounded so I paid the money as it was going nowhere. The Place was not busy yet everything they did took ages, weather it was ordering a drink, asking for room service, asking for the check etc... 10 sometimes 20 minutes and 2-3 times of asking. This is not a good resort, this does not offer good service, nor good food, The rooms are over priced at 5000 bht for a room with a huge steep hill and no ocean view (too many trees in the way that could be easily cut) their is no privacy in your rooms. Staff are rude to the extent you feel guilty to ask something. You get scammed.... I really wish I had booked at another place on the bay.

6 Thank bobobo308272
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your comment as it will be very useful for future improvement. Also, I would like to apologize that we are unable to make you satisfy while staying with us. Beside, there is one point regarding to your comment that I think it is needed to be clarified, which is the motor bike rental. Once you rent a bike, the one in charge for motor bike rental will guide you through all parts and dimensions of the bike, then he will ask you to read and sign the contract. After you have signed the contract it does mean that you are willing to pay for any damages caused during the length of renting time.

I would like to say sorry again for such a bad experience that you were having.

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed for three nights and had a very nice time. The pool are is really nice and the room was small, but in good condition. We just got a basic room, which had a really great view of the sea. Some of the staff were a bit unfriendly, especially compared to other places we've stayed in Thailand. Breakfast was pretty good; try the banana pancakes! Food was great. For dinner we went to their sister hotel further down (I can't remember the name, but you can ask) and it was fantastic. Great wine, excellent BBQ fish and great ambiance. A great place to stay if you are with a partner of family, however may be a bit quiet for young singles.

Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for such a nice review and I am apprecitate to know that you were having such a good time while staying with us.

Salad Buri hope that we would have a chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Do not be cheated by the hill view and once nicely decorated rooms. The hotel stuff will turn it to a night mare.

It all started from the reception desk, where one of their managers was quite impudent, when we were stuck undeceive about staying there or leaving to look for a better value for money (as for $130, that we paid for the room, one can stay in a real 5 star hotel in Thailand). Ignoring her behavior, we decided to stay, and now I can say it was a mistake.

When we picked up our premier suite it all looked nice until we started touching things: everything that can be unfixed is: soap-holder(no soap is provided btw), toilet paper holder, etc etc are shaking, several lights were broken, decoration vase was broken too.. Though, the first thing you find in your room is price-list for damaging hotel belongings (half of those on the list weren't even in the room).

I wouldn't mind the jacuzzi being a bath tube only, if one could fill it with hot water enough to cover their body, but it is just impossible. That's how it works: you can only have hot water there for several minutes, so that you get a thin layer of it, and then it gets cold and you've got to freeze yourself by turning the air conditioning inside the room to 20 Celciums (that's what the management suggested), then in ten minutes you will get another another 15 liters of hot water, then water starts running cold again, and you have to wait again while the water you've poured to the tube is getting cold.. I complained twice, they said they'd send someone to check and fix it, but it never happened.
It once happened that all the water was cut out for 45 minutes. We reported immediately and waited for someone to come and check for half an hour.

The service: I've cut my foot deep in the see (as the see next to the hotel is covered with corals and stones and its really dangerous to get into the water there). The management could only get me a bottle of iodine with an outdated expire date, that could do no disinfection at all.
When my husband got sick with fever (they saw him at reception, all red, hot with temperature, covered with sweat and unable to stand on his feet) and I asked them, if they knew the operation hours of a doctor cabinet, located in 5 minutes walk from the hotel, they just said they DON"T KNOW, not even making an attempt to call the doctor, or find out the information. So we decided to go to the central clinic in Thongsala and the hotel driver would drive us by a longer and worse road that goes along the sea-side, trying to find other passengers on the way, instead of taking a faster way where it was less likely to make extra money.

The taxi prices for the same root can be 300B one day and 400B the other, depending on the duty manager's appetites.

Nothing you order from the restaurant or even the room service can be put on your room: You've got to carry cash all around with you, whether you are at the beach or at the pool side. To order drinks to the pool or beach-side, you still need to go to the restaurant yourself, and order there. Noone would bother to approach you.

Breakfast is not a 4 star and the yogurts there were 2 days after the expiry date. The waiters took no action when I told them about it, and one of the managers - said he had another opinion on expiration dates: according to him, products "can be still good for one or two months after what's written on the pack"..

The personnel, but for 3 absolutely unuseful managers, don't speak English at all. It creates problems now and them.

The SPA is just several beds on the beach right next to the restaurant. None of masseuses is a certified one. The instruments for manicure weren't sterilized properly: a girl just put couple of drops of peroxide (again, with outdated expiry date) on her scissors. The procedure is just a torture: she didn't use neither hot water not a cuticle remover to soften it and just started to steer the nail with some metal shovel, scratching it. My hands looked worse when I finished, then before I started.

The only nice thing in that hotel is a girl who helped us book tickets back to Bkk. Very professional and friendly, I hope she finds a place in a nicer business, and all other "managers" are just the sort of people, that on no occasion, be they the owner's cousins or friends, can work in service industry.

And there is no fitness center, btw.

3 Thank amorfed
Dear Sir/Madam

First of all, I would like to say thank your comment as it will be very useful for our future improvement. However, regarding to your comment I would like to clarify some of the points that you have lised out. First, about the hot water as we use the boiler together the heater, then that's the reason why we suggest the guest to turn on the aircondition for 15-20 minutes, just to make the water heat up faster.

Besides, although we are not such a perfect hotel, please believe that we did try our best to service the customers. So the decond point where I would like to explain is that, as when there is a problem with the hot water, we then have to fix the boiler which located outside the room. So when you call and report the problem, we did actually sent the satff to fix it, but they were fixing outside the room, so this is why you may not see them fixing it.

Third, I would be very appreciated if you could tell me the appearance of the driver where you claimed that he's looking to another passenger along the road, as I take this as a serious case. Our hotel have such a strong policy that the taxi driver do not have the right to pick up potentail customer along the road and if they do so it means that they are corrupted.

Fourth, for the Taxi fee, we do have the standard rate for the normal time, but the rate will be changed if you are going later than the time set for standard price.

Fifth, it is the hotel policy that the bill can not be charged onto the room, and we have such a strong reason of doing so. In the past we do allow guest to pay all of their bill together when they are checking out, but we have experienced so many problems related to unable to collect money from the guest as they clame that they did had it ot it doesn't belong to them. And when such case happened, staff will be the one who have to responsible to paying the bill and of course that they are not happen. So, we try to solve the problem by clear cut the bill day by day.

Last, all of those mentioned earlier are not an excuse, I just need to clarify some of the points perceiving from our management style.

Also, I would like to say thank you for comment again and also thank you that once you had choose to stay with us

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

We stay for two night and are glad to be moving on. The staff is unfriendly and the front desk lady is especially rude. Our room was small and had an awfully strong odour of mold from the filthy bathroom. The resort is very run down, lounge charis worn our, beach towels torn up, china at restaurant all chipped up etc... We only had breakfast here but it was not very good and if you don't get there first thing they start to run out of items. Definitely not a 4 star maybe a weak 3. For what they charge stay somewhere else. Just because of the mold in the rooms alone I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me to! The salad beach resort down the beach looks way nicer, we dint see the rooms but ate there a few times, the food was great and the staff very attentive and friendly.

The manager will probably get on here to say some canned response that goes something like "your comments have been noted an under review, here at the salad buri we strive to please our guests and provide a pleasant stay" yada yada yada.......... Don't believe it tho, this place is going downhill fast and they don't care......

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Montri P, Owner at Salad Buri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear Sir/Madam

First, I would like to say thank you for your review and would like to apologize for unable to satisfy your need as well as expectation during your stay with us. You may not believe that I would like to truely say thank you due to every single point that has been listed out will be very useful for us to make a progress of improvement.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Located at the southern end of pretty Salad Buri beach, the Salad Buri Resort is one of the largest and most upmarket hotels on this beach. Our pool-level bungalow room was generously large and well furnished. It had a private dip pool on the deck outside the room that was welcome on occasions. The room was immaculately serviced every day by the smiling team of room ladies.

On the downside, on our arrival the room had a really strong strange smell that we finally concluded was due to damp that had totally penetrated all the furnishings and refused to go! We tried all that we could to dispel it - opening windows as often as possible, endlessly lighting incense sticks - all to little effect even after 16 nights.... We should have asked to change the room but because the hotel was so full, we did not want to be relocated to rooms way up the hillside....

Disappointingly, despite the overall quality of the room, the bedding sheets were not cotton and were clearly pretty old and thin as they ripped quite regularly :-(. Beds and pillows are pretty hard.

The outside restaurant offered a very good menu and an excellent BBQ. Prices for menu items were competitive with the smaller cafés etc along the beach and the quality was good. The BBQ was always very good but not cheap! One complaint was that the hotel has the highest beer prices of the whole beach. Also, the cups and plates appear old, stained and often chipped...

I guess that the hotel is around 10 years old now and despite the very best efforts of their very helpful and willing staff the owners appear content to ignore ongoing maintenance with the consequence that the years are starting to show signs of becoming shabby. Examples include the wooden decking around the swimming pool where nails protrude from the decking which is very uneven in places and large wood splinters threaten your feet. We understand that "jacuzzi spas" in the spa rooms no longer function and the defective parts are apparently "too expensive" to replace - so the jacuzzis are now just baths....

The beach is family friendly but be aware that there is a lot of stone-like coral debris washed up at the hotel end of the beach, which can make getting into the sea quite painful. Suggestion - enter the sea half way up the beach where there is least debris. We hoped to do a lot of snorkelling from the beach but were disappointed to find that the "reef" some 100m off the beach is quite dead with very few fish to be seen....

The wi-fi throughout the hotel is poor and slow (at best). Only the pool wi-fi or the reception computers had half decent performance.

Other thoughts - there are plenty of other cafés and restaurants up and down the beach, so plenty of choices (menus are much the same). A number of convenience stores are at the far (north) end of the beach and plenty of ATMs. Only one small first aid / mini pharmacy close by the shops.

Salad Beach is pretty isolated and unless you want to run the risks of the small hired motorbikes you may find yourself looking forward to the occasional visit to the main town Tonsala about a half hour away by taxi (which the hotel can arrange easily for 150Baht per person). Don't miss visiting the Saturday late-afternoon "walking market" in Tonsala with plenty of stalls and street food.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room that is not up the steep hillside!
Dear Sir/Madam

Firsy, I would like to say thank you for your comments as it is very useful for us to use as source for future improvement.

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 3 January 2014

We had booked 4 nights and ended up checking out after the first night. Our room was tiny and had severe mold issues - it stank so much that we didn't get any sleep the first night. They did offer a new room, but after we read other reviews here on TA that mentioned the same issues in other types of rooms, we decided to leave early for a different hotel. The staff wasn't very welcoming compared to the other hotels we stayed at. Breakfast was only alright, but definitely not 4 stars. Would recommend a completely different hotel, if you value your health.

Room Tip: DO NOT book a standard room, they are shared with a villa and only separated from the other room by...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MortenSch
Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to apologize for making you disappointed and would like to say thank you for your comments as it will be useful for us to make a progress of improvement. Also, the room sometimes have bad smell due to the moistness.