“Rude and unpleasant” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
London
“Rude and unpleasant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

We spent a week staying around Sunrise Beach on Koh Phangan, in 3 different places. We decided to try Bayshore after 3 days at the truly delightful Palita Lodge, which is just a little way down the beach from Bayshore. I'd booked via my iPhone so didn't have a printout of my reservation, but that hadn't mattered anywhere else. On check-in, the guy asked for my printout - I explained I didn't have it but asked if he had a notification of our reservation - he said no, and insisted I show him the reservation. I asked if I could connect to Wifi to retrieve it, and he said I had to pay (this was a surprise - all the other places we stayed had free wifi). So I had to pay B50 to access the wifi and show him my reservation - at which point he reached across the desk, and there was a printout of our reservation all ready to go; he handed it to me with a smirk.

If I hadn't produced my reservation he'd have charged me for the room a second time. A very profitable scam, no doubt.

Generally the staff there seemed fed up and unhelpful - who can blame them? If the management treat their customers like this, what could it be like to work there?

The breakfast buffet consisted of the worst food we had in a 3 week trip. Basically this was our only experience of rudeness and bad service in the 3 weeks we were there, and the only really poor food we were served. Besides Bayshore, pretty much everyone we met was friendly, and all the meals we had were good or downright great.

Yes, Bayshore has a nice pool and location, and the room was OK (though for the price, could have been smarter).

There are plenty of nice places in Koh Phangan, including several right on Sunrise Beach. Do yourself a favour and avoid Bayshore.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JerryBLondon

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

Don't get me wrong...we came to Ko Phangan to party. In that respect, the hotel was good location. But that was about it. I know you see some good reviews, I believed them before staying here too. I think everyone I talked to here agreed: this place sucks the big one: Rusty shower handles, No shower curtain (Of course no separation b/w shower and bathroom floor), a huge dip in my mattress (back hurt every day when I woke up), NO room cleaning (unless you specifically ask) and AWFUL shower pressure. And, of course, they charge for wifi that doesnt even reach your room. For $100/night, you can do a LOT better. If the management is reading this, you REALLY need to clean this place up...its run-down and poorly managed. What a WASTE of a good location. Would not stay here again if you paid me.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank PerennialStar
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Immediate impression was this had the most gorgeous pool ever! Right by the sea and huge! Rooms were well priced (as not full moon time when they double in price and occupancy too). Quite plain but clean and nice wet room bathroom with no vents.
Staff were ok but that helpful really.
Good location with easy access to the beach, other restaurants, bars and shops. Not to near the busy bars so could avoid the noise when in your room but easy to walk too.
Food here was ok- only ate here once, nothing special and a bit pricier than some others.
I really enjoyed my stay here, the pool was excellent and rooms met all our requirements. We stayed in a standard bungalow which was the cheapest they had but was one of the best places we stayed for cleanliness.
Overall I would stay here again and would recommend to friends going too. However, I would probably avoid it during full moon time as pictures suggest it gets horrific and very expensive too.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Above the normal backpackerstyle places of koh phangan. Brilliant location for all the party spits, yet the noisy clubs are a little further down the beach. The only night that it is crazy down this end is the fullmoon party. The hotel is lovely, pool overlooks the beach, resonably priced, not the quietest but for the location it's in.. Quiet enough. The only annoying thing is the hotel has a shortage of towels so bring your own.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank catgr
Lacanau-Ocean, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Ok so air cond, pool, included breakfast and bang on the beach. It does get noisy but that never has bothered me. And strangely enough, it's not the music from Tommy resort i could hear but my neighbours coming home laughing so never mind the noise really ;)

Very clean.
And having toilets available while partying or if u go to the beach during the day is a big PLUS!! (otherwise u must pay)

Staff is not that warm but they do anything u ask them.
There is a shop and an emergency room ( avoid Sam though) just next door which have proven to be handy.

I would not go anywhere else if you want to party and still have good comfort!

Room Tip: downstairs, by the pool for more warm up parties or in the courtyard for more quietness...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

Superb location as it was right by the beach, at the center of Had Rin. Room and bathroom was clean (although out tv was tiny and pillows were too thick). Pool just by the beach w/c looked amazing. Breakfast was average.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

This place looks nice, but when it comes down to it, its really not. There is a security guard at night that honestly sleeps the entire time. I asked him 3 times to please tell the drunk Arabs to keep it down and nothing was done. I woke up to at least 100 ants in my bed (avoid bungalow 402!) and the beach front eatery had horrible service..There are 5 guys working there and none of them could ask me if I wanted another beer? I had to flag them down everytime..Plus the food was nothing to write home about.
The pool is nice, the location is great but there are much much better hotels on the island of Koh Phanang.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo