“Mexican in Thailand”

Ando Loco
Ranked #75 of 368 Restaurants in Ko Pha Ngan
Price range: US$2 - US$9
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Authentic Mexican food at backpacker prices. Imported spices, slow cooked family style flavors incorporated by an American Chef with over 15 years in the business. Killer Margaritas including out Jumbo 650 ml Margarita made only with real tequila. Come see for your self!
West Virginia
“Mexican in Thailand”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We visited Ando Loco while in Ko Phangan because we really wanted some Mexican food. When we arrived the restaurant had a nice atmosphere and there were plenty of seats since we were the only ones at the time. Drinks were tasty although I would have liked the Mojito to be filter before being poured in the drink but that wasn’t that big of a deal. Food was very quick and it was tasty as well. I would return to this restaurant and recommend it to anyone who wants to have a Mexican night. Staff were also very nice and helpful.

• Czech first
  • Thai first
Pattaya, Thailand
“Ando Loco ... It's you who are Loco if you don't eat here!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Last month was my second trip to Koh Phangan and I had the pleasure of dining at Ando Loco in Thong Sala.

First off, I got to meet Ando, a really gracious host from Chicago. Within a few minutes of meeting Ando, it is clear he is serious about providing fresh and tasty Mexican cuisine.

My first experience was during the middle of a sweltering afternoon and Ando directed me to his jumbo margarita that is served in something just short of fish-bowl size glass. Within one sip it was clear that Ando makes his own margie mix and uses a premium tequila.

For those unfamiliar with drinking in Thailand, you should know that Thailand is tequila challenged. Most bars serve something that tastes like lighter fluid with a plastic hat on the bottle. Ando uses Cuervo Silver as his basic tequila mixer, but offers really premium grades for a few more baht.

The first bowl of margarita went down smooth and I ordered the next one with a plate of fish tacos. In my opinion, if a guy has the balls to offer fish tacos, I should step up to the plate and try them. In the 7 days I spent on Koh Phangan I hate Ando's fish tacos three times. Perfectly cooked fish, really tasty sauce with a sneaky heat and authentic soft Mexican tortillas.

One evening I popped into Ando Loco and tried a couple of appetizers. The Boo-ya chicken wings were almost addictive. Plump drumettes with a smokey sweet hot sauce that also kind of crept up on me with spiciness.

The sweet potato fries are absolutely addictive and serviced in a bottomless basket with a garlic aoli I wanted to take a pint of home.

On my final night, I commiserated with a gang of Ando's local customers, quaffed a half gallon of his margaritas and embarrassed myself scarfing down a big plate of a shrimp, rice and greens stir fry combination I forget the proper name of.

I've lived in southeast Asia for nearly 15 years and I will go out on a limb and say that Ando Loco's serves the tastiest Mexican cuisine I've had outside of the Americas.

And, to go along with the food, which always came out hot and fresh, the ambiance, music mix and endless flow of interesting characters who frequent Ando Locos make it a place I will return to every time I find myself on Koh Phangan.

Thanks Ando ... See you in a few months!

goodfellas_10, Owner at Ando Loco, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you Bart for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you in at the bar and chiming in on our tales of the land of smiles over a few jumbo margaritas. We look forward to your returning to Phangan for your next killer tattoo and hopefully a margarita or two...
Ando
London, United Kingdom
“Really good food”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

The food here is really good - I kept coming back (luckily you can eat quite cheap here or splash out). I tried quite a few different dishes, the Tequila Lime Shrimp was SO tasty, also loved the Fish Tacos (the fish melts in your mouth - they seem to be a bit of an institution on the island) and the Italian Quesadillas - yum! The jumbo margaritas were my absolute favourite though, definitely the best I had during my time there - and I tried a few :o) I must just disagree with the review that mentioned the chips (fries) - I know people have their own preferences but these were my perfect chips (I couldn't believe it when I saw them on someone else's plate so had to order some), crinkle cut, just a little bit waggly and not too dry - they definitely weren't oven chips (I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole).

Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“Not the best Mexican food”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

This place looked inviting and the waitress who served us was pleasant enough. I had high hopes of this place being good as they obviously make an effort to import authentic Mexican sauces in.

However the food did not live up to my expectations. The food came out really quick. I don't want to be waiting hours but its also nice to catch your breath if your making an evening of it. Being older than most of the clientele I like to eat out for a dining experience aswell as the food but I felt like I was in a canteen. It's a shame as I only managed one drink.

I had the chips with chilli and cheese on top. The chips were thin crinkle cut which looked very much to me like oven chips. They were ok but the chilli was a bit dry. I had the chirizo enchilada which again was very dry. It didnt appear to be any sour cream inside it as advertised...maybe a more generous portion would make it better? The rice inside also did not have that fresh appearance, texture or taste.

I've had better Mexican food in lots of other countries and whilst I understand its harder to run a good Mexican one in Thailand, the food here is average at best. I see from the owner's replies that he is defensive of his food but this is my honest opinion and I hope they might use it as constructive feedback. I used trip advisor to make my decision on eating here but in hindsight a lot of the reviews are short and done by members who have only reviewed this one place which seems odd.

1 Thank emilycoralsaw
goodfellas_10, Owner at Ando Loco, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hi Emily,
Thanks for coming in to the loco. It seems you misunderstood what you ordered a bit so let me clarify if I could. You ordered the Chicago Sin Fries which are hand cut twice fried local potatoes (cut with a crinkle cut knife) never frozen topped with nacho cheese sauce, seasoned ground beef and sour cream. There is no chili on top so we apologize if the ground beef was drier then the chili soup you though you were getting.

Then you said you ordered a chorizo enchilada. We can very easily make chorizo enchiladas but they are not on the menu and enchiladas do not come with sour cream in the middle so I maybe assume you ordered a chorizo burrito. I have taken your comment in stride and ordered my cooks to add a little more sour cream in our burritos. The problem is they burritos are so big that the sour cream at times can get a bit lost in all that goodness!

Come back again and maybe try our Chili con carne which a rich spicy version topped with sour cream and that comes with either our green cilantro rice or toasted bread we buy from a local french baker.
buen provecho
San Diego, California
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Having eaten Mexican food almost everyday for the last 10 years I can say with confidence that this place is really great. The food was fresh and authentic. Definitely a must during your time in Ko Phangan.