Phangan Beach Resort
US$75
US$62
Agoda.com
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$165
US$158
US$113
US$94
US$81
Phangan Bayshore Resort(Ban Hat Rin)(Great Value!)
US$116
US$68
US$90
US$85
Agoda.com
All reviewsfull moon partyair conlovely poolrent bikesfan bungalowrestaurant servespool tablethong salalaundry servicespent nightslow seasonamazing placegreat atmospherekoh samuipbrdacehammocks
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I came here in June with my friends and was very excited as this was when we would be experiencing the much talked about full moon party, however, I can say that this memory is forever tarnished by the rude and obnoxious couple that own and run this place. At first when we arrived, we had to wait at reception for about five minutes, despite the owner seeing us, but she had to obviously prioritise her conversation with her friends at the bar before serving new arrivals. So when she eventually turned up, she wasn’t the most welcoming in her attitude, just seemed like she had her speech prepared of do's and don’ts and seemed a little rushed as she wanted to obviously head back to the bar. However, at the time, we didn’t think much of it as we were excited to see our rooms and settle in. Over the course of the days, I started to really develop a dislike for the female co-owner as she was so loud and imposing on guests. Every morning, she would be up at the snooker table with her two friends, laughing, shouting, making rude comments about Chinese people and shouting 'racisttttttttt' to her friend - I heard some very offensive comments during their pathetic conversations. I felt really sorry for my friends whose room was allocated right opposite the main restaurant as they could hear everything from early morning - and believe me this noise continued way into the evening. You were lucky if there was perhaps maybe half hour of silence in the day. Personally, I am all up for having fun and enjoying myself, getting drunk, but surely this is for the guests and the owner/host should be running the place appropriately and not acting as though she is on holiday. As for her husband, he was not as bad as her but he did eventually ruin his reputation with the guests of that time (will come to that eventually). So as a host, she was rubbish, no people skills to actual guests, she just wanted to spend every waking moment with her two friends, cracking jokes, drinking alcohol (at all hours of the day) and swearing loudly. I noticed she was very rude and dismissive with her Thai staff (restaurant workers) too, who by the way were absolutely wonderful. If this resort deserves any credit, it is due to them, they are kind, attentive, polite and ever so helpful. Due to this, we left them a kind tip at the end for their wonderful service. So anyway the full moon party arrived and we were told at the beginning that there was a 'free bbq' for resort guests- so naturally we were pleased, sorted with dinner for the night. Once ready, we all met at the beach bar and brought quite a few drinks, in fact we did everyday as it was fun place to be at the beach bar. Once the bbq was underway - by the way don’t think these people know how to work a bbq, because it took absolutely ages to prepare etc, my friends went to the bar and politely asked the female owner if they could have five tickets for each of us (as there were five of us) to which she refused saying we could only have 2 or 3 because we had 2 rooms. So not only was this not a 'free bbq' but apparently you only each get a ticket, if you have an individual room - which there are none of- so my question to the owners is, what kind of 'free bbq' was this? Are the owners actually saying that one room, one ticket? So a couple in one room... one of them gets to eat and the other can just watch on... absolute rubbish. Have no idea if this was an actual rule they had implemented or whether this lady was being difficult with us for no good reason. My friends are very polite and would never speak rudely to a lady; especially someone who is running the place, as it would not be in our interest would it? So anyway, her husband spotted the disagreement and decided to intervene with full aggression and verbal abuse - yes you heard right - THE OWNER decided this was the best action for a minor disagreement. NOT the guests who were 5 young guests staying at the guests, but the owner. I have never heard of such a story, it was disgusting and unacceptable. I get that a man would want to defend his wife, but defend her against what? My friends were not being rude in the slightest. Many of the other guests at the hotel experienced this and were shocked at the owner’s reactions. Eventually the situation was calmed down due to the diplomacy carried out by myself and my friends. The male owner had not only sworn and used such vulgar language but he also back handed my friends across the head and threatened to throw all of us out. This is hotel service at its best - WOW, amazing, can def say I will NEVER go to such a place again and if I ever hear of friends, family visiting Ko Phangan, I will personally; stress the importance of eliminating this resort from their list of potential places to stay. Needless to say, the first half of our much awaited excitement for the full moon party was ruined by this episode and even after we left the resort to go to the full moon party, we all felt really annoyed for a good hour or two and spoke about how it was completely immoral over how we had been treated.

Anyway, on top of the owners being vulgar, obnoxious, loud, aggressive, rude and unwelcoming- the rooms are not cleaned on a daily basis unless you go over and stress this to them. When we arrived there was no toilet paper either, that bad room preparation for you. Also if you are looking for a beautiful beach right outside your room, this is not a great part of the beach suffers from a low tide for most of the day- which looks rather ugly. As a result we visited other parts of the beach which were a lot nicer. I loved every minute of Thailand ( we travelled around) and had a brilliant time, but I can say this part of the trip in Ko Pha was slightly ruined due to two unprofessional individuals who clearly have no people skills or real experience of running a hotel- absolutely no class or appreciation for people who pay so much money to stay at this rubbish resort.

Lastly, I never write reviews but after this awful stay, I made a promise to myself that I would as I was so angered at how my friends had been treated that I thought it is necessary to warn other potential guests. Hopefully, the owners might read this and re-evaluate their attitude and make major changes and if so, all the best and well done, but if not, this place will eventually lose all business- and serves them right!

6  Thank Anj5
Reviewed 6 July 2011

Myself and my partner stayed here in June around the full moon party and I can confirm that the below happened as it was my room they tried to charge I have to say that this was quickly rectified and corrected...That's the positive.

the negative is that this was not the people the owner picked a fight with this was two completely different lads, so I think some people are getting mixed up, the two lads who tried to charge our rooms were dealt with pretty well and asked to leave, simple. But there was a second altercation with two lads we were chatting with before hand and seemed pretty nice, If they done what they were have supposed to which was being rude to the bar tender, then I would see through it if they were asked to leave, but it is true that the owner got very very aggresive wuith these two much smaller and younger lads. It was very uncomfortable and actually ruined our night for a bit. It was supposed to be a free BBQ but lots of people were told to buy two or more drinks from the bar to partake in it.

The rooms are very overpriced, the rooms aren't that great neither, we stayed in bungalows all over Thailand and I have to say that these were both the worst and most over-priced. The beach outside the resort is awful also, Im sorry to say that as I was looking forward to staying here. The food is ok the bar is nice, but like someone said above is over-ran with the owner and his friends and Im sure the complete pool looks good.

this place was rated third in all of koh phangan, I think there is some scamming being done if im being honest and I apologise if im wrong, this place is very average...At best.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cduffy123
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. Great little place on the beach not far from the ferry. We stayed in a beach front bungalow with air con. The room is small but fine for sleeping. The air con was good for the balmy nights and did not smell like mould as other places we stayed have. A new pool has recently been completed. A cocktail and view over the beach is perfect from the pool. Suchai the bar tender is great fun. Lazing around on cushions in the restaurant / lounge room is also great for relaxation with a beach view. Would happily stay here again. Only suggestion is fresh fruit juice in the restaurant rather than from container.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The path leading up to the resort is long, narrow, sandy, bumpy and hazardous, so few taxi drivers were willing to make the voyage throughout our 5 day stay. The initial walk with heavy suitcases in swelterring heat proved to be a particularly bad omen for our stay.
We were 'greeted' at reception and I use the work greeted here extremely lightly, by someone who we later discovered to be the owners wife. Her tone was cutting and patronizing which after a month of good Thai service we were shocked by!
The bungalow we later checked into was to a good standard, simple and slightly cramped for 5 days but not bad, I visited a friend who was staying nearbye and for half the price he had a better room which fit 3 people.

On a couple of the mornings while attempting to lie on post night out, we were disturbed by loud music and raised voices from the central restaurant area. I wouldn't mind, if they were guests just enjoying their holiday; however, it was the owners and their friends that were drinking and playing loud music in the morning! Couldn't complain as we were worried about crossing paths with the lady that greeted us at reception.
The final straw came when on the full moon night, the hotel threw a pre full moon BBQ at the beach bar. We were with a group of guests who we had gotten to know over 3 days, and we had been drinking at the beach bar together throughout our stay. They went to the owner's wife and asked for some bbq tokens for the food, she refused to give enough for the 5 guests and the next thing we see is the the owner grabbing one of the boys who was half his size, swearing vulgaraties and asking him to go somewhere else to have a fight! He proceeded to grab the master keys from one of the staff and threatened to throw the guests out of the hotel (on full moon night!).
I have stayed in many hotels and met some disrespectful staff but this was by far the worst behaviour by any one in management I have seen. We know from having spent time with the guests he threatened to chuck out, that they were great guys so what the owner did was completely uncalled for.
If what the guests did was really that bad, he would have thrown them out as it is the hotel management's right, so it is clear that it was a rush of blood to the head. I would not chose to stay somewhere where the hotel owners have that sort of attitude to their guests and job.
Our full moon party was partly ruined as we could not enjoy it with the friends we made at the hotel given that they were miserable after the event!

To summarize, ok accomodation, good Thai staff, not a nice beach (south coast - shallow), can find cheaper and better elsewhere and direspectful owners who ruined out stay.

6  Thank hembbq
PhanganBeachResort, Owner at Phangan Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

phangan beach resort has been in talks with the trip advisor staff regarding this and 2 other reviews recently posted on the tripadvisor website,unfortunately resorts and hotels have strict guidelines we have to work to regarding reviews ,however there seems no guidelines for people(not guests) to write whatever they want to on the website,we at phangan beach pride ourselves on a high standard of customer service and this has been our key stratedgy over the last 5 years and has worked very well (please see the other 49 reviews ),there are many many untruths written in the last 3 reviews and i will try to clear up a few of the tales as follows
the comments regarding early mornings being woken up by the owners drinking with their friends is absolutely nonsense, as a father of a young boy of 4 , plus actually having to run the resort at the busiest time of the month and thirdly myself being a tourist police officer on the island does not let such things happen , we do obviously enjoy our customers company in the evening but strictly on a social level.on the point of the lady (my wife) being rude and scornful ? well unfortunately for the guests comments my wife isnt of natural english speaking background ,she is actually from latvia, as an englishman my self sometimes european english can sound a little harder than when an native english person talks , my wife is of a very professional manner and again please read the comments on here and many other review pages online,comments regarding the entrance to the resort is also not correct,taxis do not go down the road as by law in thailand taxis require a special licence from the resort allowing them into the area, we have 4 taxis who actually work for the resort and are on standby all the time for our customers , it is in no way hazadous by any means , there are many many untruths within the last 3 reviews and i prefer to spend my time concentrating on actual customers and customer service,again as a police officer on the island we do have to deal with problems from time to time regarding alcohol issues, this was the case unfortunately on the june full moon, we did have 2 guys at the bar ordering drinks and putting them on other peoples room bills, as mentioned before in a previous reviewresponse our staff picked up on the scam and the 2 gentlemen where asked to leave the resort ,refusing and becoming very rude and aggresive towards the female staff behind the bar i was forced into removing the 2 men from the resort,i spoke to and apologised to many of the customers at the bar and explained th esituation and they agreed it was the right thing to do , obviously the 2 men had friends at the resort and now we are feeling the wrath of friends united by making up slanderous stories, i urge all of our potential customers to contact any of the people on trip advisor or on our own facebook page , it is a crying shame that there are no restrictions stopping slanderous untrue reviews being posted

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Interesting to see similar reviews to this one. You certainly can not complain about the cleanliness, restaurant or the resorts location, yet it is quite simply let down by the staff, or owners to be precise. It is a shame as I regularly visit Koh Phangan and will not be able to return to this resort again. However, if you don't mind those who run it being obnoxious, loud and utterly disrespectful, then go for it!

3  Thank LukeC186338