“Was expecting a shed in a small dirty resort. Ended up doubling our stay loved every second.”

Phangan Beach Resort
Ranked #30 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

The staff here were great espically Adam who is general manager and a great tour guide. He knows everything about the island. So do speak to him about anything and having an English family running the resort gave us some needed home comforts.

The staff were great the pool is lovely and the location is incredible. After a heavy night there can be no better resort to wake up on.

We opted for the cheap fan rooms. Now these are basic units but the bed was comfy and it had wifi so what more do you want for 550bahts a night, split with a friend. I loved phangang and loved this resort and will be going back.

All in all if you want an amazing room pay for the air con units, if you just want an amazing stay get a fan room and just enjoy the resort. Also food there was good.

Can't wait to go back.

Adam and the London Lads

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Adamfs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We had booked a stay here for the weekend of a full moon party. On arrival the receptionist first pretended that we didn't have a booking. When I produced a confirmation email he went away and thirty seconds later came back with a printout of the same which he clearly had before. He then explained that there are regularly overbookings due to issues they have with online booking companies and that they wouldn't honour our booking. We were offered a room in the resort next door for the same price. The air conditioning there was broken. We ended up moving resort and at our next resort we met people who had had the same experience so this was not a rare event!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank rovingrebel
perth
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Enjoyed this place, we were well looked after from the free pick up from port right all the way to the free drop off again when we were leaving. Owners were very friendly and helpful. They were always on the premises and ran a great business. Beach and grounds are cleaned ever day and the place is immaculately clean! The night before we left the fan fell off the locker and broke in to pieces, we informed the owner's the next morning, they did not charge us anything extra and were very understanding! Food service in the restaurant is a bit on the slow side but well worth the wait. I would have no hesitation in recommending this resort!

Room Tip: If I were to stay here again I would pay the extra for an air con cabin as it does get very hot!
usa
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I just traveled back to the Soviet Union, but it is now located in Ko Phangan, Thailand.

I was excited to spend two nights in Ko Phangan to partake in the Half Moon Party.

I emailed Andy, the owner, a couple of times before I arrived with questions. I took the ferry on 3/15, and called the hotel before I arrived. I spoke with Adam, he shared with me that he did not have a reservation for me. I shared with him my confirmation number from booking.com. He affirmed there was no booking on his end. And his hotel was sold out.

I arrived at the hotel. Adam asked me to wait in the restaurant while he checked in other guests. After waiting for ninety long minutes in the hot afternoon Adam walked me over to the adjacent hotel and left me there to my own devices. This hotel resembled an abandoned set used for a zombie movie. A room was shown to me that was similar to a dilapidated shack that the Unabomber would hole up in.

The hotel owner was quoting me the same price as quoted in my reservation at the Phangan Beach Resort. But it was not the equivalent room. The abandoned zombie camp was not somewhere I wished to stay.

I traipsed back to the Phangan Beach Resort and found Adam. I shared with him my confusion. I said it seemed unfair that he was not honoring the reservation that I made. If he did not a have a room available at his hotel, I believed it was his responsibility to find me another hotel option at the same cost with the equivalent quality.

Adam then shared with me that it was not his fault. He said booking.com was at fault, and he was not responsible at all. He mentioned that they have had problems with booking.com in the past. I asked him if that was the case why would he continue to have a relationship with them and allow themselves to be represented by them.

At this point, Adam called the owner Andy, who in an aggressive tone reaffirmed that Phangan Beach Resort was not at all responsible for a confirmed reservation made through booking.com and I was on my own. He directed me to call booking.com directly.

Imagine, buying an airplane ticket on Expedia.com, arriving at the airport, and the airline denying you a seat on your confirmed ticket, because they do not necessarily honor reservations from Expedia.

Or imagine, buying a steak at a restaurant, and finding out the piece of meat is spoiled. When you approach the manager, he denies any responsibility, and tells you to call the farmer who raised the cow. “It is not my problem!!! You figure it out!!”

This sounds like the service level reminiscent of Soviet Union.

But now you can find that level of caring and warmth from Andy the owner of Phangan Beach Resort in the year 2012.

As you have figured out, I am highly recommending that you do not patronize this hotel. This type of service should not be rewarded, but should be shunned.

Customers should be respected and helped.

More ammunition. I finally took Andy, the owner's advice, and contacted booking.com after my stay. (they sent me of the confirmation number of the fax they sent to the hotel) Booking.com is a very professional organization. They immediately took my information and investigated situation.

They contacted Andy, who not suprisingly, told booking.com that I was very satisfied with my experience. I am not sure why he is so dishonest!

Booking.com then emailed me their policy...On the rare occasion that a hotel becomes overbooked, we require the hotel to take all necessary steps to ensure that your reservation is transferred to a suitable alternative hotel or we will do so ourselves so as to not inconvenience you more.

I guess Andy beats to his own drum in the Bizzarro World. Since his response was "it is not my fault or problem", hence dear customer you figure it out.

Sadly, we are talking about such a small amount of money. Booking.com again demonstrated their professionalism and just offered me a $20 credit. I would advise booking.com to not partner with people like Andy and Phangan Beach Resort. They do manage their manage their business like the honest professionals at booking.com.

15 Thank rmgsafari
PhanganBeachResort, Owner at Phangan Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
to be fair there was a mistake regarding this booking and i apolopgise if you may feel if it was not corrected to your satisfaction, as you well know i was not on the island on your arrival as i was away in bangkok on business .we at phangan beach resort never received the confirmation fax from the agent mentioned, we had many problems earlier this year with a breakdown of communication from the netherlands main office ,they have rectified this problem now and we have had no problems since.as i understand adam had shown you more than one resort we could have accomodated you in ?and one of them is actually on trip advisor rated in the top ten?but you chose not to take it?and finally decided to stay at our resort for 2 days in a slightly downgraded room?i am happy that you stayed at the resort and i will take your comments seriously and make sure that no zombies enter my resort from next door..........
london
Reviewed 21 March 2012

What a place....if you are looking for full moon party antics, you will find them, if you are looking for chilled out beach paradise, you will find it.
The beach and setting is idyllic, the rooms are cute bungalows on the beach, with decent showers and facilities. The bar is open as long as you need it to be, the food service is very good offering all tyes of cuisine, from thai salads to lasagne, to home made pizza.
You are treated as if in a huge family, everyone is super friendly and made us feel very welcome. Hats off to Adam the best bar man on the island! Prices very competitive. I would definately recommend this resort and if I visit KP again this is where i will be staying.

Room Tip: definately go for beach front, if you can't cope with creepy crawlies go for a cement build
1 Thank lastmintraveller2010
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here with as part of a stag party in the run up to the full moon party on the 8th March and cant fault a single thing! The location was fantastic - Ban Tai beach is clean, quiet and the resort has a fantastic view of Koh Samui!

Its a family run resort which is clearly evident in just how warm and welcoming Andy and the rest of the guys were to us all!

Yes the rooms are basic but they are well kept and great value for money.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable visit and I cant think of a better place to prepare and recover from the craziness of the full moon party

Thanks PBR for the warm welcome and the many unforgettable mankini memories!! lol

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here as part of a stag party... Warm welcome from Andy and his wife and cold drinks from Adam at the bar.

The rooms are simple but do the trick for what you pay for.

The location is brilliant.. Nice quiet beach, clean surroundings and lovely views.

The masseuse by the pool is icing on the cake.. Most deffo recommend staying here and will be back again for sure!!

Cheers all at PBR for making the stay memorable..

Mankini all the way :-)