“You're not a guest...you're an inconvenience!”
Review of Tharathip Resort

Tharathip Resort
Ranked #41 of 137 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Staff are extremely rude... I read reviews from other guest who had stayed and expected them to be rude however I was totally surprised. The staff do not care that your are a paying guest they treat you as if your an inconvenience to them...especially the young receptionist.

We hired a bike from this hotel and was given the worst bike they had...all of which were pretty bad but this one shouldn't have been road worthy!! We then asked to swap... The young receptionist tutted, rolled her eyes and spoke to her colleagues who then began laughing. We then got a bike for half the price from the local town and used the hotel car park during the night, in the morning we realised the bike had been vandalised and had several slashes to the seat. In the morning they were unusually smiley towards us which only infuriated us as we knew it was them but had no proof.

The eating area which can only be described as the family living room was a joke! Children, toys and staff just sitting around watching your every movement. You simply do not feel welcome and it was apparent that the staff have no idea of customer service let alone basic manners!! I would avoid this hotel it's not a nice relaxing hotel. The only positive in the rooms are reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte J

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Comfy bed, fast wifi, nice pool
A descent resort in need of some landscape upkeep. The staff needs a little warming up to but were nice for the most part. Two of the pools were out of service. the view from my room of the beach was very nice. The beach at the hotel was meh, and did not swim in it.
Food wasn't the best and hotel is a bit far from good nightlife but do-able with a bike. For the price I paid, I was happy with my stay, close to thongsala market by bike

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 4 September 2013

First of all i'd like to start with the positives.

my mates and I stayed in a concrete building which had a proper price-quality ratio. The rooms are spacious, includes a balcony, air-conditioning, a safe and a nice bathroom. The breakfast which is included is very basic, don't expect too much of it but it's okay to stir up a hunger. The Resort offers a nice pool with beds around it, as well as a little beach. The location is attainably located when you are in the possesion of a moped,car or motorbike.

What we didn't experience well was the service. The resort has been built up by a family which run the resort at the same time. The employees are unfriendly and unwilling to cooperate. Let me sum up a few events with regard to the staff which occured to either me or one of my friends.

-at the day of arrival in tharatip resort, we were assisted by a woman who had a nasty wound on her knee(probably caused by a motor accident), instead of covering it up or hiding it under the counter she was pointing it right towards us and she payed more attention treating her wound than assisting us.

-I wanted to make a reservation for 2 friends who'd arrive 2 days later. The answer I got when I tried to make the reservation was that I had to pay for them in advance, I said that that wasn't going to happen and told the lady I'd tell them to make the reservation by booking.com or whichever. At that point she responed astonished: no no it's okay, i'll make the reservation and they can pay whenever they want. This seemed a little bit odd to me, later we figured out that a hotel has to pay commision to an internet booking site.

-every now and then when we purchased refreshments we placed it on the bill. The morning after when arriving in the breakfast hall, the bill was already waiting for us on the counter and the lady behind the desk said with a big smile ''pay please'' instead of a goodmorning.

-The other day the man was doing some maintenance work(painting the walls and that kind of stuff). When he had finished work he came straight to the restaurant to take the orders and serve the meals, in exactly the same outfit as he did the painting with, it was still all covered up with dye.

-A few days later I made another reservation for two other friends who were already in ko phangan doing rockclimbing. At the day they were supposed to arrive in tharatip we heard some bad news that one of them had been lost during rockclimbing and was missed the whole night, eventually they managed to found her the next morning. Unfortunately they couldn't come to tharatip because of what's happened the night before. I explained the whole story to the lady behind the desk in order to cancel the reservation, the only thing she asked was ''Can I charge you money?'' that made me feel sick.

I could write alot more things but it should be clear now.

So what you get for the price you're paying for is definately worth it. The service is what it make a bad accomodation.

I won't come here again unless the service's been changed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2013

- the food is terrible are the resort
- went to hire motor bikes couldn't start no petrol was told its not included
- may one of the staff members talk english
- manager referred to us as bit*^es when we comments on the lack of taste in the food
- constant noises of istening to people run around, dogs barking and the drying/washing facilities all night
- the rooms are a joke
- they turn the water off over night
- its literally situated on a hill and they make you carry your bags up the stairs
- checking out at odd times is 6:30am is near to impossible!
- waste of a view

Room Tip: nothing really positive to say besides DON'T STAY HERE!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Me and two other friend came to tharathip - koh phangan. the place id dreamly. the rooms are big with a view to the sea and a shore nearby.
the rooms are big. we took a bedroom for 3 people and got two rooms with a big bed and two other beds.
the has a bis safey box.
there is a nice pool with beds around it.
the dinning room is big with a view to the beach althogh the breakfast is avarge but the prices for the resturant and the drinks is very cheep.
the staff are kind and you can rent here a bike to travel the island.
you also have a free pool table and a bar nearby (on the shore).
the sundown is extreamly beautiful - a lovely plkace for cuples/lovers or people who wants to have a rest
we enjoyed here very much and we shorly return again (shlomi' tagisto and avi from israel)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank shlomi z
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It pains me a little to write this because in principle it's a very cute family resort - the staff that worked there was very nice and accommodating, but the reality is this is one of the worse establishments I have stayed at in my life. Most likely if you are staying on Koh Phangan, you're there for the Full Moon Party - if you are looking to spend time on a tropical beach island in Thailand, go to Phuket or Koh Samui. The resort is on a hill which makes for a hard walk up awkward stairs and there's no real organization to the rooms (we stayed in a room oddly called "Sexy Pink", which despite the memorable name was hard to find). The hotel met basic needs bed, shower, air conditioning, and restaurant - but none of these things were more than decent (with the exception of the restaurant which was very well priced); the bathroom was gross and the bed was frightening, while the air conditioning sounded like a speed boat. It's not centrally located and is VERY far from the actual site of the Full Moon Party. There is no real concierge; yes, there is a desk where you can get basic services but it closes at night (I had to walk into town at 2am in the morning because of an emergency and thought I was going to be a tourist who disappears in the middle of the night). It is important to note that because of the tides, the beach on the resort has no water during the day and is effectively just a large plain of sand; furthermore, the beaches on the island all pretty much suck similarly because of the tides - if you want nice beaches seriously go to Koh Samui or Phuket. If you are looking for a very cheap accommodation during your stay for the full-moon party, then this place can meet that need; however, for anything else, I would recommend staying somewhere else. I will say though that the one redeeming quality about this resort was the wifi, which was better than most places and free.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you would like a good room, you will receive the bare-minimum, basic accommod...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Staff were useless, room wasn't finished, restaurants food wasn't amazing and it was in the middle of nowhere, took a good half hour maybe longer to get to the full moon party, hotel has potential but as it is currently - not recommended.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the newer rooms as they're only half done.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends