“Not a great place to meet people. ”
Review of Amsterdam Bar

Amsterdam Bar
Ranked #38 of 368 Restaurants in Ko Pha Ngan
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
“Not a great place to meet people. ”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

To be fair, when we went it was cloudy so we didn't get to enjoy a great sunset. Nevertheless, the staff were relatively poor at their jobs and the crowd was pretty introverted despite it being a young crowd. Could have been because of what they'd inhaled if you know what I mean. Speaking of which, according to my friend it was mainly tobacco. Drinks are more expensive than they should be. And when you're trying to get out of there the taxis try to charge you ridiculous prices. Wouldn't bother again.

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Москва, Россия
“beautiful place”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

great sunset view and pool, and after the sunset you can relax listening to reggae music. Good cocktail but it was hard to drive back cause it's located on a mountain ;) There is no many people there

Visited March 2014
1 Thank kert_dezcom
“Amazing atmosphere and sunsets”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Visited this place several times with my girlfriend throughout a 2-week stay in Koh Phangan. Generally, the prices are very reasonable. A couple of smokes go for 400 THB, and the stuff is quite good. Apart from the long way up to the sitting area and the playlist that contains the same 10 songs over and over, this place is great. The place is packed around sunset time, mostly with young folks (18-24 seemed to be the average age range). If you're looking for a nice place to sit up high and enjoy the view while smoking, definitely visit this place.

London, United Kingdom
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I visited Amsterdam Bar with 4 other friends in December 2013. It was the day after the Half Moon Party and was the perfect place to relax and unwind after a crazy party! We were recomended this place by the manager of our hotel. He described it as "Smokers paradise at sunset" and he was not wrong at all. Although the walk up to the bar is quite tiring (on a hangover and 2 hours sleep), once you get to the bar you are presented with a panoramic view of the island, the adjacent islands, the woodland and the beach. The views are breathtaking and no photo's will be able to do it justice. The bar is perfectly located for sunset and is known as one of the best spots on the island to watch it, particulary when smoking. When the sun sets, the bar staff light a series of fires around the perimeter of the bar which gives it a very ambient feel. It was at this point i decided to slip from sitting cross legged to lying in a star shape and looking at the sky and all I can say is WOW! Coming from London, the skies are heavily polluted and therefore we only see a fraction of stars. In Ko Phangan there is very little pollution and so you get a clear view of the stars and we all literally could have stayed there for hours taking it in. They were renovating part of the bar when we were there which looks like it will be very cosy (includes a pool). The music is very good and provide the perfect atmosphere. Definitely worth visiting, especially for anyone keen to relax with herbs!

• Visited December 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing location”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Dropped into the Amsterdam bar solo as I was doing a moped tour around the island.

I timed my entrance perfectly as the sun was just starting to set and the place was packed full of people. I had my first beer downstairs near the pool and happily chilled out to the cool music and amazing backdrop. Being solo, I tried to strike up some conversations with people but the majority of the patrons were Israeli and were extremely pretentious towards me.

From here I took the restaurant upstairs and sat with a fellow solo traveller from Britian and here we both had some great food while the sun went down.

I spent a lot of money here as drinks were expensive in comparison to other nearby bars. The sunset truely made up for this and I will definitely return on my next visit to Koh Phangan.

As another person has commented, be careful if you intend to drive after drinking at this place as I witnessed a pretty bad accident at the bottom of the hill on my way out.

Enjoy Amsterdam Bar!