we were excited to see this hotel as we had such great reviews on here... but, i think the management needs to rethink some of the methods of service if he needs to sell rooms for 5000thb a night.
1) the rooms dont have an automatic locking system, which makes it very difficult to be sure your belongings are kept safe. water temp consistency varies enormously, but we were told its a problem for the whole island.
2) the breakfast is very very average for the amount you pay. the egg station is good, but when i asked for bacon in my omelette she said she couldnt do it, even though there were strips of bacon beside her. you have to ask for EVERYTHING.. juice, water, butter, fruit, you name it... i would much prefer a buffet type of service as this service became very tiring (even though we only ate there once!). the breads were stale and we had no idea what sort of jams they gave us .
3) when we got back from the beach we asked reception for some fresh towels to take to the pool, and 3 TIMES they said they would bring them to us.. and what happens? ... no towels
4) our second last day is when the real problems started.. we needed to organise a taxi to take us to dinner - when we asked them, they said they didn't have any taxi services, after asking her to call an outside source, and not their own transport system, she said she didn't have the number... so what would a normal receptionist/concierge with perfectly good english do to book their guests a taxi? FIND THE NUMBER!! we felt like we had to hand feed them ALL the time, even after writing it down on paper
5) we also needed to book transport off the island, and a car to the ferry dock, telling them the details felt like running a marathon... they needed 4 receptionists (even the lady with the american accent) to try to fathom what we were saying and it still took half an hour. we then asked if we could please get an american breakfast sent to our room at 6.00am as we were leaving fairly early. the lady with the semi-american accent said that would be no problem.. but what happens when we wake up? we get an apple, a bottle of water and a sandwich in a brown paper bag.
6) when we asked to speak with the manager of the hotel, he just nodded his head as if he was listening, but even HE did absolutely nothing to really help us. he just said 'im sorry and we will try and fix it'
7) the atmosphere was appalling.. because there was no one there (and we soon learnt why), it felt like a ghost town. i know you can only put that off to the simple fact no one has booked to stay there but it says a lot about reputation...
8) the worst part was, we had 4 days in koh phangan to spend, and it seemed to be wasted on spending hours of planning and talking through things with the staff.. for the management, we were just a couple of hotel guests and they come-and-go, but the stress caused from the staff and manager created so much stress for us, it made a huge dent in our stay.
i would VERY STRONGLY suggest not to stay here. there are many places closer to haad rin for a quarter of the price with great rooms and excellent service. even though the staff were well mannered and polite, i believe it is not their fault the way they have been trained.. that responsibility is handed over to the manager.
whats even worse is, i'm going to receive a very blunt, boring reply from the manager of this hotel 'assuring' me his staff are well trained and blah blah blah, but i don't really want a reply, i just needed to let people know if they want to a relaxing, island holiday, this is not the place for it.
other than that, of course, koh phangan is a fantastic island, its probably best to stay a little closer to the party district of haad rin beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chantaramas Resort is located on Koh Pha-Ngan, in the Gulf of Thailand. The resort have swimming pool on the private beach wider than 100 meters on “Baan Kai” Beach that is within easy reach from Thong Sala Pier, the main pier of the Island, just for 10 minutes and is shorten from Haad Rin Pier only 7 minutes. Getting to Koh Pha-Ngan is very convenient as it takes just 20 minutes by speed boat from Koh Samui. The resort offers transfers service at a charge . Chantaramas Resort & Spa is delicately designed in modern contemporary style according to the local knowledge to add to the Island one of the most beautiful boutique resorts where guests could fully enjoy the local uniqueness of the decoration and total privacy and comfort of individual quarter in a lush setting of natural ambient of flowers and tree, the natural surrounding have been reserved for more than half of the area occupied by the resort to give the guest the feeling of total natural living and the place to get away and enjoy peaceful nature. Chantaramas Resort & Spa resort is also carefully designed to be friendly to wheelchair persons as there will be worry-free for those to enjoy all the resort facilities as other guests. Contact our Reservations for special deals or special preferences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Southall Travel, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Chantaramas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.