“Beautiful Place and People”

Thong Yang Bungalows
Ranked #43 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Some of the nicest people I've met in Thailand run this place, a wonderful family, 3 generations. They have a quiet and beautiful beach, they rent motorbikes, good food, everything you need.

I've stayed here more than once and always feel at home here.

I fall asleep to the sound of waves and crickets, I love it.

Room Tip: I like to not stay right next to the restaurant, but a couple bungalows away where it's totally...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 26 February 2014

hey people! So here is the thing :) I was in Thong Yang bungalows and they are really the best ones I ever been on Thailand :) Staff are really friendly and helpfull, you have your own private beach wich is quite away from the parties, but not to far away. If you rent a motorbyke you have only 5 minutes to the center. Bungalows are okey. For that price we paid around 700THB a beach front. Great view. you also have a refrigerator, in your room which is not that usual for that price :) It is a very good thing that you are away from the noise. I recommended a Thong Yang Bungalows.

greets H

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

When I looked for a hotel on Koh Phangan and read reviews on tripadvisor.com, I've took note to this hotel because it was number 1 in the category B & B. Now for some reason it has moved to the category Hotels and lost there in the third decade . Of course it is much more gesthouse or B & B, than a hotel.
Segment coast of the island less than 100 meters in length is limited on both sides by huge boulders . House of owners stands a little in depth between them. Kitchen and veranda is used as restaurant and reception. Behind the house and up the slope to the sides huddle over a dozen guest houses of different sizes. Bungalow's furnishings is modest - bed with a very hard mattress, fan on the wall , cupboard and fridge. In the bathroom are sink, hot water shower and toilet. If you want to use air conditioner, you should pay extra.
You get this bungalow for a very small price. Do not expect that this price includes daily cleaning of the room - you can do it by yourself, the room has a broom, daily replacement bed linen and towels, daily replenishment of refrigerator with water bottles and other attributes of the hotel service. But you get something more meaningful - a personal touch , as the presence in of a large Thai family life, representatives of three generations of which greeting you, cook your food , help address emerging issues. Yard of their home becomes a place of your stay - lying on the beach or in a hammock reading a book or working on the computer - anywhere on the territory is excelent WiFi.
When number of guests a little , it seems that this piece of land - yours, that you just visit friends in their country house and everything is only for you . It's an amazing feeling.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank OldGrumbler
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

Got to start by saying some of the reviews below seem very dramatic. I didn't even consider suicide and if a fan isn't sufficient you really should consider a/c.

Thong yang is reasonably priced and although not perfect isn't bad. Me and my partner stayed here for 5 nights over the full moon party. We found it really peaceful and a great escape from the noise of the more busy parts. The room was sufficient and paying the extra for a/c is definitely worth it. There was also a fridge in the room which is handy.

The food was good and again reasonably priced but the service was terribly slow at times. There was a nice lounging area to the side of the restaurant with some nice cushions could probably do with a couple more though as only enough for two to sit comfortably.

We had one of the bungalows on the front. They are small but the bathrooms are fine, I would prefer a flushing toilet but it wasn't a major issue. The showers maintained a good temperature for as long as needed. I did find the porch area slightly cramped however as there was a bench on there but facing sideways rather than towards the sea due to lack of space which is a bit of a shame as can be nice to chill outside your room in the evening from time to time. There was one larger bungalow that allowed this so if you like to watch the sea in the evening it may be worth enquiring to see if you could obtain this room.

The dogs are on the most part fine, one in particular is pretty smelly and tatty but when the owners do see them near the eating area they do try to shoo them off. However a bit more vigilance with poo clearing wouldn't go a miss.

All in all this place is a nice stay very peaceful and friendly staff and a nice crowd. You feel like your belongings are safe also. So not perfect but not bad either.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank benb1987
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Our visit to Phangan was part of a longer holiday so that we went to the full moon party. After reading reviews we decided to stay in a hotel that was slightly far from the beach but not across the island. Thong Yang seemed perfect and cheap. Indeed the room was a sea front one and the small beach was just perfect.

As the price may suggest the room was basic but the entrance had no handrail so that if you are planning to enter the place drunk you may end up on the rocks below since there is not even a glimpse of light on the outside of the bungalow.

At the restaurant the staff remove their shoes but since there were 5 dogs around we did not bother as the floor was dirty. Moreover when eating at the restaurant 3 of the dogs would be playing around - no problem right? Wrong, they smelled so bad and weren't on a leash. The food was well priced however 2 of us who ate a coconut milk soup ended up with diaorrea and vomiting the day after so we resorted to eating toast after that.

For our last day we also booked through the hotel a trip to go to Krabi. We should have arrived in Krabi at 15:00 however we only arrived at 20:30. It seemed that other people from other hotels were promised the same. To add insult instead of the tranportation taking us directly to the bus station, we were taken to a shack to eat from a presumably friend of a friend with a loo shaped like a hole in the ground (cooking was done next to this place).

If there is a large banner above the restaurant promoting trips, then they would still not have done anything about it.

Room Tip: If you want a good room don't come here, go to Haad Rind Bay for the full moon party and don'...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for the Full Moon Party in November. After talking with friends and reading the reviews, I thought it might be a good idea to get a place further away from the action. We booked Thong Yang well in advance and were excited about our stay based on the photos. Once we actually got there, we ended up leaving a day early to stay at another place (for free, since our friends' friends left early). Here's why.

The photos are quite alluring and indeed the bungalows are right on the beach. There are hammocks on the trees and it's quite relaxing. What's easy to forget is that the entire island of Koh Phangang is NOT that big and almost all of the resorts are on the beach! So given that, I think there must be better options, even given the price.

The main deal killer was the bathroom. It was one room with no separating doors of any kind for the toilet or the shower. One of the walls was the rock of the mountain that was originally there. Because of this, the bathroom got pretty damp. At night when I turned on the light, I saw ants and a cockroach. That was fun. Oh and did I mention the toilet does not flush? It's one of those with a bucket and a scoop next to it. The nail in the coffin was that when it rained, the roof leaked, the water came down the rocks in the bathroom, and left a muddy residue on the floor. I had to ask the hotel to clean that up for us.

The second big factor was the owners' dogs. They had 4 dogs who would roam the grounds all day. They woke us up because they were playing on the roof in the morning. Then when you go to eat lunch they are running around the restaurant patio area the whole time. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind dogs, but these are smelly scrappy dogs that would wrestle and play with each other while I'm trying to enjoy a peaceful lunch. The owners paid them no mind of course.

Lastly, it got really hot inside the room. We didn't get the AC room in November, which may have been a mistake on my end, but the fans did not do enough to keep the room cool. Luckily there were some hammocks outside to chill and relax on, but of course the dogs wouldn't let me sleep.

You might be thinking - "Hey, the price is so cheap, what do you expect?" That is a fair point except when we left a night early, we moved to a friend's hotel which was only slightly more expensive and had A/C, a flushing toilet, and a much nicer shower. And no cockroaches. And it was still by the beach, although granted the room did not face the beach directly.

At the end of the day, Koh Phangang is littered with resorts. There are so damn many. The restaurants basically all have the same food and prices (with the exception of the fancy resorts and the street vendors), and the beaches are all beautiful in their own way. So if you're going to full moon, I recommend staying at Haad Rin Nai which is on the opposite side of the full moon party. It's still walking or very short driving distance to the party, but without the loudness and all night raging. If you want a beautiful beach, Baan Tai is great but there are many other beaches on the island all of which have bungalows and taxis to Full Moon and elsewhere around the island for no more than 200bht per person.

For that reason, I think that there are better options than Thong Yang, and I recommend staying somewhere else unless they improve their facilities.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

This place...where do I begin?!
Upon arrival you are greeted by tree roots representing a stairway to the beach. Charming? Yes. Risk of tripping and falling to your death? Likely. But not to worry! There's a pack of barking dogs to land on. Nothing more comforting for a sprained ankle than a bit of mange.

The staff seemed "laissez faire" about our arrival, or our presence during our stay. They seemed keen to rake the sand first thing in the morning, occasionally disturbing a maturing dog turd. A faecal zen garden! How lovely.

Now, to the room. Ever wondered what Tenko would have been like if Dame Barbara Cartland wrote it? Well, wonder no more! If you plan to take acid at the Full Moon Party, please don't look at the holographic pictures of parrots and tulips. I am planning therapy and haven't even had a drink. If you do glance at them, please rest on the bed of breeze blocks covered in sateen in a delightful shade of Austin Allegro brown. You may find our sweat stains when you stay, as changing sheets seems unnecessary to the staff. Feel free to use the carrier bag found down the side of the bed to suffocate yourselves. The previous guests escaped prior the urgency for suicide.

The bathroom has a rustic charm about it. The ants which hide under the seat and nibble on your cheeks are an invigorating way to wake up. Once suitably bitten, rinse off in the shower, which expels yellow water. If I wanted a golden shower, I'd have gone to a "specialist club" on the mainland...

All in all, dreadful. People moan about the posh resorts but they should come here for one night and then reassess things.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends