“MOST DISSAPOINTING!! BE WARNED....”
Review of Maehaad Bay Resort

Maehaad Bay Resort
Ranked #35 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We orignally booked this hotel based on the reviews of Tripadvisor and Agoda and I must say that we were extremely dissapointed with this resort in almost every aspect. It does suprise me that some people seem to think that this resort is awesome. I can only think that such people are not used to staying in proper 4 star and above hotels!

On arrival, the exterior of the hotel, to the left of the entrance was littered with rubbish, rubble and cut off palm branches, empty bottles etc. Weeds are growing around the Hotel Signage and the woodwork that makes up the name of the hotel does not look like it has received any varnish in 5 years.

The room itself is large but on closer inspection was absolutely filthy and full of dust. It looked as if it has just been left the same from being used by the pervious customers. The airconditioner stank and their was a black mouldy buildup on the vents of the aircon. I called the staff to show them the state of the room and they just stood there looking at me. Just wiping my finger over any part of the room indicated a build up of dust. I asked for another room, but was told that they are fully booked up. I asked to speak to the manager but was told that he is in Bangkok - basically no one was put in charge and thus no one was going to take any responsibility at all.

There is not even any tea/ coffee in the room and the bar fridge literally had a few tins of cooldrink - nothing else. The curtains were stained - wonder when last they have been washed... we decided to take a walk of the grounds and have something to eat while they cleaned our room properly. During our five day stay, there was one gardener, but he just seemed to do as little as possible which shows as the grass does not look as if it has been trimmed around the edges in ages; there is litter lying in the garden areas and weeds growing everywhere. The sprinklers are just left on the grass with pipes running to waterpoints - surely these should be put away after use - it is very unsightly to say the least. The pool was really dirty and we did not once see anyone clean the pool during the 5 days. At best, they were possibly throwing chemicals into the pool, but if you used goggles underwater, you could see all the dirt on the bottom. Next to the pools, they have some showers which are to be used before climbing into the pool. One of these was blocked and remained so during our stay. There is a bubble type seating area in the pool - this never worked at all. A lot of the loungers around the pool are either broken or also have not seen varnish in many years. As for any service around the pool i.e. someone coming to take drinks orders etc - this does not exist at all. You have to walk all the way to the bar which is not attached to the pool area to place a drinks order and often there was no one at the bar either so you would then need to walk to the restuarant to find someone.

Our room was cleaned properly over the next few days. There are plenty of people who have mentioned about the bed being hard - this is an understatement. I had backache every morning and woke up continuosly during the nights due to being uncomfortable. The water pressure in the rooms is a joke as well...

The rooms are not sound proof by any means and you constantly hear doors banging and we could also hear the neighbours TV playing.

For a 4 star resort, the breakfasts are a joke. The choice is limited and not very nice at all. There are flies all over the place. I chose to not have breakfasts on 2 mornings.

As for activities at the hotel, this does not really exist - My wife asked if we could use a kayak and, if I am not mistaken, they wanted to charge her 200 baht per hour. You can rent a motorbike for the whole day for that price - ridiculous!

The beach is average at best - cant really swim and lots of rough sand and rocks.

We have stayed at 5 hotels in our 3 week holiday and this hotel was the worst by far in every department. If you are expecting a proper 4 star hotel with great service, a clean and tidy enviroment, great service and the normal 4 star standards, then this is not it. However, if you are used to a 2 - 3 star enviroment, then you may be satisfied with it.

In closing, please just read my other reviews on other places that I have stayed and you will notice that they are generally all very positve. Maehaad Bay Resort has the potential to be a proper 4 star resort but it needs to close down for a month and go through a full maintenace makeover and clean up and standards and service need to improve dramatically.

I took a lot of photos of the state of this resort, but have not been able to upload yet - wll do so, when in a position too.

Maehaad Bay Resort will never however see me again.....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Meat82
There are newer reviews for Maehaad Bay Resort

Reviewed 17 April 2014

My friends and I stayed at his resort for 3 nights. We had a really bad experience the first day. We couldn't find the driver who was suppose to pick us up at the airport for an hour and a half. We had a friend call the resort to report that we were still at the pier, they sent a another driver. When the driver met us, he made it clear he was angry even though he did not speak english. He sped up on winding roads and ran motorcycles off the road. It was quite a traumatic experience.

Once we arrived to the hotel, my room was very nice but I learned soon after that two of my friends' rooms did not have running water. Apparently, the majority of the resort was out of water. This lasted for about 5-6 hrs. The rest of the stay was average. Most of the staff is hard to communicate with since they have limited or no english knowledge. They also claimed their manager was out of town and they have very little authority on what to do. Not the workers fault, this is a problem management needs to address on how their staff handles situations.

The workers at the restaurant Kantiwit and Cee were very accommodating though and the deluxe rooms were nice. Also, right before I was about to leave and already sitting in the shuttle, the person who cleaned my room found my glasses and returned it. Other than that, this hotel needs to work on how their staff responds to issues.

Room Tip: beds were quite hard in both the deluxe and superior rooms. For a little more money, the deluxe roo...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LMIF
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Enjoyed our stay very much. Good service, nice rooms.
For some reason it is not common to explain how big the beds are, which is a factor when traveling with children. The two bed room plus extra bed we had easily sleeps a family of 5.
Ok, the beach may not be the best for swimmers, but for snorkeling it is good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed for 8 nights in a deluxe room. The room was extremely spacious with a huge bathroom. Very nicely furnished with a huge bed. We also had a lovely two sided balcony with pool and sea view. My niece and partner with young child were staying in a superior room (slightly cheaper) but they experienced noise from adjoining rooms. We did not have any problems at all. We loved how peaceful the resort was and the beach was absolutely stunning and very unspoilt. The pool at the hotel was lovely (apparently the biggest one on the island!). The staff were all lovely and helpful. Breakfast at the hotel was fine but towards the end of the breakfast serving some things had run out but it wasn't a major problem. Breakfast was served in the restaurant overlooking the sea which is so lovely. There aren't a great deal of restaurants to eat at in the evening (although the hotel serves food and drink which is not expensive) but would highly recommend the Wang Sai restaurant which can be reached via a little bridge off the beach. At the far end of the beach is a little beach bar which serves great food.

We travelled to thong sala a few times which was a bit of a trek (20-25 mins drive) but the hotel would provide a taxis at a very reasonable rate.

We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 12 nights with my partner and 2 year old son, with my family staying too in a different apartment. The main reason we chose here is because of the pool for our son, and was the best bit about the place, the temperature made the pool warm, sun always shining on it, right amount of sunbeds around for the guests staying (always enough for everyone) and extremely clean. Our room was lovely, although had an ant problem in a few areas but they are so tiny compared to ours here in the UK it didn't bother us at all. Our room was cleaned everyday and towels replaced. Everything worked well, balcony had a great view of the pool and sea and was shaded throughout the day. Only problem with where we stayed was the noise from either side of our room, the walls are quite thin and can hear even just talking which when late as night was quite annoying, so would recommend if you stay and have young children or enjoy your sleep to stay in the next level room which I think is called superior as they have no rooms either side and my family who stayed there heard nothing.
The staff here are fantastic, there is nothing they won't do for you and made us feel very special. They gave our son lots of attention which he loved, even down to the gardens always saying good morning and giving our son a playful high five! They have mine buses where if you book you pay 150 baby per person (around £1.50) to get into the main part of town which is about 20 minutes away so totally worth it as it is the same price as if you were to get a normal taxi but their driver is there all day waiting to take anyone who needs to go.
Lots of lovely food places around, we tended to eat indoors when we could though due to the a annoying flies wanting a piece of your food! The breakfast in the restaurant was standards, nothing special unfortunately, and there were a few days where it was all a bit manic and things had run out and not been replaced, seems to have been when the main man who did the breakfast was not there, but again, staff are so friendly you don't mind as much.
All in all, if you are a couple or family, the
is definitely the place for you. This was our 4th time on the island (1st with our son!) which is why we chose something a bit more "upmarket" but if we come back again we are likely to stay in the traditional Thai hut as its more of a Thailand experience that way, being beside the pool here you could have been anywhere. There are too many beautiful places on the island and you can easily become lazy and not want to explore as much sitting by the pool, but can't fault the place at all. Had an amazing holiday and thank you to all the lovely staff!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank carly5365
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Great resort on One of the most beautifull spots on the Island. Extremely friendly staff, mostly competent aswell. Trainees at the reception who don't speak Englisch at all. Resort is two years old now, and already suffering from less care for maintenance. Rotten wood on the balcony's and the pool showers. Wiring still hanging out of te outside wall. The gym is pretty poor kept, and HOT ! Leaking airconditioning in the room, and no one available to fix it. All together a great location and place, but in strong need of good management and a maintenance plan. Otherwise, no four stars in the future......!

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

Spent two nights in this gorgeous resort right on the beach. You can walk directly from the restaurant to the beach. All the rooms are set up to have a great view of the pool or beach.

The hotel has activities like snorkelling, kayaking, walk the sand bar to the little island etc. it's in a perfect spot on the bay. The beach out the front is nice and quiet with flat calm waters for kids and a few waves breaking for the adults.
There's some little huts out the front of 'why not bungalows' next door offering massages for 200tb per hour that are amazing! They're right on the water and the sound of the water is so relaxing.

There's some great bike and car hire places immediately out the front of the hotel, and a convenience store with Internet cafe. On the beach there's also another little store and restaurant that's cheaper than the hotel and the food is great. There's also a few restaurants all within a 2 minute walk from the hotel. So while this isn't the most happening part of town there's still everything you need at the doorstep.

The rooms themselves are massive, and the bathroom so big you could have a party in there! The bed etc is really comfy and the room more like a small apartment than a hotel room. We spent the day working from the room and there was plenty of room for the two of us between the large balcony and the room itself.

All staff were lovely and really helpful and attention to detail was paid at every step. Even the complimentary shampoo etc smelt really expensive. I used it instead of my own shampoo and my hair smelt and felt great!

The only thing that makes this hotel not get a top rating from me is the restaurant and room service. While the food tastes great and is a great price its incredibly slow. We waited about 2 hours for a sandwich and pasta. The staff were very apologetic and offered out meal for free but its not alot quicker dining in in person. However the buffet breakfast is quite good. If the hotel could sort out the food issue it would be a 5 star review from me without a doubt.

I'll still stay there again. In fact it would be my first choice of accommodation on the island but I'll eat elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple