“Clean, fun and great vibe”

Baan Tai Backpackers
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I didn't stay here for very long (1 night) but my impressions of the hostel is that its clean, well maintained and fun. It's got a stocked bar, x-box and a great common room. I went during low season so the hostel wasn't very filled up, but I'd imagine come full moon or half moon this place would be poopin. I recommend this hostel definitely.

It's kind of far from Haad Rin Beach is my only complaint.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jlin15

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Booked a dorm bed here a few days ago but when I arrived at the hostel (Wednesday around 8 a.m.) receptionist said she knew nothing about it. So I wait a couple hours for an internet point to open, meanwhile I get a room in another hostel for a couple nights and by 10 something I come back with my reservation e-mail printed out. Receptionist then acts all embarrassed and sorry, she calls her colleague, they apologize and I book a dorm bed for today, Friday 28th. Well, in a pretty surreal turn of events this morning I show up and receptionist not only acts like conversation #2 never happened but she's pretty pissed and rude too, she just keeps repeating in a very harsh tone that they're full and I know it. I try to remind her about her colleague and reservation we made while she was there but nothing, at one point she even literally goes like "e-mail, e-mail, e-mail... you keep talking about e-mails but we're full!" in a tone a mum would use to scold her child. Worst hotel experience I've had in over 15 years of backpacking.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Misia_Emme
BaanTaiBackpackers, Manager at Baan Tai Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

since you didn't actually stay with us I'm not sure why tripadvisor has allowed you to review our building and since our only 1 star review is yours (someone who never stayed with us) I hope that other potential customers read reviews from people who actually stayed in our building, I was over seas at the time of this and I do remember you sending me an email directly a few weeks before your arrival, why didn't you make contact via email once the issue came up? My thai staff turned you away because she thought you exceeded our age limit of 35 years, and were kinda creeping her out, you didn't pay a deposit so you didn't loose any money from what I was told you found another place to stay during you visit, again had you emailed when the issue came up I likely could have helped but I guess it's easier just to complain on the internet

Reviewed 1 April 2014

loved my stay with these guys, was a little quiet but that happens between the full moon parties, staff were super nice and helpful with lots of information about what to see and do around the island including beaches bars and places to eat, the lovely thai receptionist was so helpful in booking ferry tix for us to get over to koh tao, even set up a taxi for the morning, would suggest to anyone coming to koh phangan to hit these guys up, you won't regret it

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

this place was simple and great, people working there were so kind and helpful with everything I wanted to know about the islands and party life, They also made me feel very safe as they did not let just anyone into the building, there is an age restriction as well as a number of rules regarding drug use, all the people in my room were super social as we spent most of the time together checking out the island, I would totally suggest these guys as they know how to have fun but also feel safe.

Room Tip: air condition dorm was a cheap upgrade from fan and the room is bigger with a balcony
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here for about 20 days (completely unplanned but I was enjoying myself).

As far as room quality goes its about as good as a hostel gets, the dorms themselves are all very clean. The rooms are mostly out of audio range when music is playing so getting sleep isn't an issue, the owner is mindful of people in the fan room so even then chances are the noise wont bother you.

The location of the hostel is absolutely ideal for pretty much any reason you are on the island. Haad rin around full moon is hectic and crowded whilst thong sala is a little bit too far away. Considering the proximity to a beach (across the road) and how a taxi in either direction costs 100 baht (2 pounds) there is no reason to be closer. Not to mention that half moon, jungle and black moon are all about 5 minutes by taxi away. You can rent a scooter at the hostel, riding to haad rin takes about 10 minutes, same for thong sala.

Food and drinks are served at the hostel. Pre-drinking at the hostel is cheap as the drinks there are standard (if not just below) island shop price. Food at the hostel is also cheap but if you want something different the restaurants around range from expensive luxury to cheap thai-food. Directly next door you will find a seafood restaurant and a sushi place, also a 7/11.

If your a guy its worth mentioning there is a functioning Xbox. Among his games there are fighting games, FIFA 14, shooters, GTA IV and more. If your a girl don't worry, he hides the controllers early in the night :D.

Party-wise the hostel has all the tools to help you meet new people. Generally around 7-8 people just congregate in the common area. There are various sets of cards around along with a computer and speakers for music.

If you happen to come within the next few weeks you will most likely see me there again :)

Room Tip: Fan room is by far the cheapest but also closest to common area (although assuming you go out on the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Harpwn
BaanTaiBackpackers, Manager at Baan Tai Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

man that really covers it all, so glad you stuck around for so long, basically part of the family now mate

Reviewed 19 March 2014

- in terms of staying somewhere for the party vibes of the island, this place is exactly what you need. Great place to meet people, be hungover (hundreds of films) pre drink -alcohol is super cheap and owner makes great cocktails! The owner is super laid back, and the hostel literally offers anything you could possibly need ! Just literally don't even bother going anywhere else !

• Stayed: March 2014

thanks for the kind words = ) we are always so lucky to have guests like yourself come through and hang with us, even if for only short periods of time = )

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here during the halfmoon festival. Had a great time, met loads of people and scott is amazing and helpfull. Aaa makes the best toasties in the world. On the opposite of the road there is a great restaurant. You can rent a scooter for only 150B for 24hrs and see the rest of koh pangnan. We loved it! X Eline & Imke

• Stayed: March 2014
BaanTaiBackpackers, Manager at Baan Tai Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

thanks girls, was so nice to have two lovely dutch ladies staying with us ugly dudes for the week, drank me under the table during the half moon = ) enjoy the rest of your travels