“I want to go back here - had a brilliant 5 days !”

Baan Tai Backpackers
“I want to go back here - had a brilliant 5 days !”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

What can I say... From the moment I stepped through the door it was one of the best hostel experiences I have had. Scott, the owner was really friendly and helpful, the place was welcoming, clean and sociable and in perfect distance from any of the party's we went to. You could hire mopeds from the hostel for 150 baht per day hassle free and taxis easy and accessible any time of the day.
Beds were comfy and rooms were well kept and clean with option if AC if you preferred. You can't take your own alcohol because there's a bar in the hostel but that didn't matter because drinks were so cheap. The vodka and cokes were my life for 5 days. If I had to say one bad thing it would be that the beach directly opposite wasn't the best for a day out at the beach but there are beautiful beaches within 10/20 minutes so we got mopeds there most days.
Overall I would definitely go back here if I was to do full moon again. Met some lovely people and had a crazy great few days in koh phanghan!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Emily F

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2014

This backpackers is the center of where your fun will start on Koh Phangan! Short distance to the Jungle Party and Full Moon.Best restaurant across the road on Koh Phangan! Scott and his staff are always eager to help be it places to see or things to do,they can even set you up with a scooter to get you around the island(this is a must do). I had the best time doing the pre party before heading off to the Full Moon Party! No complaints here at all....I'll be coming back!

Room Tip: All rooms are great but get in early!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Osmosiss
Tustin, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I didn't stay here for very long (1 night) but my impressions of the hostel is that its clean, well maintained and fun. It's got a stocked bar, x-box and a great common room. I went during low season so the hostel wasn't very filled up, but I'd imagine come full moon or half moon this place would be poopin. I recommend this hostel definitely.

It's kind of far from Haad Rin Beach is my only complaint.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank jlin15
Marseille, France
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Booked a dorm bed here a few days ago but when I arrived at the hostel (Wednesday around 8 a.m.) receptionist said she knew nothing about it. So I wait a couple hours for an internet point to open, meanwhile I get a room in another hostel for a couple nights and by 10 something I come back with my reservation e-mail printed out. Receptionist then acts all embarrassed and sorry, she calls her colleague, they apologize and I book a dorm bed for today, Friday 28th. Well, in a pretty surreal turn of events this morning I show up and receptionist not only acts like conversation #2 never happened but she's pretty pissed and rude too, she just keeps repeating in a very harsh tone that they're full and I know it. I try to remind her about her colleague and reservation we made while she was there but nothing, at one point she even literally goes like "e-mail, e-mail, e-mail... you keep talking about e-mails but we're full!" in a tone a mum would use to scold her child. Worst hotel experience I've had in over 15 years of backpacking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Misia_Emme
BaanTaiBackpackers, Manager at Baan Tai Backpackers, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
since you didn't actually stay with us I'm not sure why tripadvisor has allowed you to review our building and since our only 1 star review is yours (someone who never stayed with us) I hope that other potential customers read reviews from people who actually stayed in our building, I was over seas at the time of this and I do remember you sending me an email directly a few weeks before your arrival, why didn't you make contact via email once the issue came up? My thai staff turned you away because she thought you exceeded our age limit of 35 years, and were kinda creeping her out, you didn't pay a deposit so you didn't loose any money from what I was told you found another place to stay during you visit, again had you emailed when the issue came up I likely could have helped but I guess it's easier just to complain on the internet
Toronto, Ohio
Reviewed 1 April 2014

loved my stay with these guys, was a little quiet but that happens between the full moon parties, staff were super nice and helpful with lots of information about what to see and do around the island including beaches bars and places to eat, the lovely thai receptionist was so helpful in booking ferry tix for us to get over to koh tao, even set up a taxi for the morning, would suggest to anyone coming to koh phangan to hit these guys up, you won't regret it

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

this place was simple and great, people working there were so kind and helpful with everything I wanted to know about the islands and party life, They also made me feel very safe as they did not let just anyone into the building, there is an age restriction as well as a number of rules regarding drug use, all the people in my room were super social as we spent most of the time together checking out the island, I would totally suggest these guys as they know how to have fun but also feel safe.

Room Tip: air condition dorm was a cheap upgrade from fan and the room is bigger with a balcony
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I stayed here for about 20 days (completely unplanned but I was enjoying myself).

As far as room quality goes its about as good as a hostel gets, the dorms themselves are all very clean. The rooms are mostly out of audio range when music is playing so getting sleep isn't an issue, the owner is mindful of people in the fan room so even then chances are the noise wont bother you.

The location of the hostel is absolutely ideal for pretty much any reason you are on the island. Haad rin around full moon is hectic and crowded whilst thong sala is a little bit too far away. Considering the proximity to a beach (across the road) and how a taxi in either direction costs 100 baht (2 pounds) there is no reason to be closer. Not to mention that half moon, jungle and black moon are all about 5 minutes by taxi away. You can rent a scooter at the hostel, riding to haad rin takes about 10 minutes, same for thong sala.

Food and drinks are served at the hostel. Pre-drinking at the hostel is cheap as the drinks there are standard (if not just below) island shop price. Food at the hostel is also cheap but if you want something different the restaurants around range from expensive luxury to cheap thai-food. Directly next door you will find a seafood restaurant and a sushi place, also a 7/11.

If your a guy its worth mentioning there is a functioning Xbox. Among his games there are fighting games, FIFA 14, shooters, GTA IV and more. If your a girl don't worry, he hides the controllers early in the night :D.

Party-wise the hostel has all the tools to help you meet new people. Generally around 7-8 people just congregate in the common area. There are various sets of cards around along with a computer and speakers for music.

If you happen to come within the next few weeks you will most likely see me there again :)

Room Tip: Fan room is by far the cheapest but also closest to common area (although assuming you go out on the...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Harpwn
BaanTaiBackpackers, Manager at Baan Tai Backpackers, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
man that really covers it all, so glad you stuck around for so long, basically part of the family now mate