“Staff and the Service is a LETDOWN”

V2 Seagate Hip Hotel
Ranked #28 of 133 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Staff and the Service is a LETDOWN”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Okay. We were supposed to stay at another hostel in Haad Rin however we had to get a refund after getting a shoddy tin room. It was 20th August, a night before the full moon party and we walked around and round and found this place.

We ended up paying a lot for the rooms but the rooms looks very very decent and it was right on the hotspot. Where all the music was and the bar was literally 1 minute away, same with the beach. So if you want to be at the core then stay here. But after two nights here, the music in the early morning from the bars etc felt deafening and we were just waiting to get out of the Haad Rin area on a whole.

The room was spacious, stayed in a triple room. And very well decorated as well. A/C wasn't too powerful, at times we felt we were melting in the room. And there's no room service... its very difficult to find a staff at the reception desk as they just take off and its just very weird how they run this hotel. And we literally felt like we were sleeping in sand the entire time as the rooms hardly got cleaned. Stayed 3 nights 4 days and cleaners only came once, after intense pleading.

Grateful to have found a hotel at the very last minute but if you do your planning well then I'd suggest you to look elsewhere then this place. I'm confident there are better varieties just around the corner.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We booked (and paid) this hotel in January, so 7 months upfront through Agoda. As we arrived at the hotel the manager told us the booking was no good, since they don't work with Agoda anymore. We tried to argue with the woman but she kept telling us that they stopped with agoda a year before. She could not explain why it was still possible to book (and pay) through agoda.com. She told us to call Agoda and let them sort it out. They did not have a working computer and after a lot of trying we were able to get a smartphone of our own on the internet. Afrer calling Agoda they told us that they would call the hotel. After 10 min they called back and told us the hotel didnt answer. We had to give our phone to the girl behind the reception to talk to her. This happened a couple of times since every time she got on the phone she would fight with the people at Agoda and yell and then hang up. She told us it was to complain at Agoda.com. Other guests came by and there were quite a lot that had booking reservations through other sites and were told all rooms were taken. She did however took in guests which were walking in with no reservations for much higher prices or for the same price get the ones with reservations a different room on the top floor (shared shower toilet) We have seen these rooms and they are a nightmare, about 10 rooms with average 3 people share 2 toilets/showers, at 7 pm they already were very disgusting. During full moon the entire island is full when we looked for a different hotel there were only about 10 left. Even Agoda could not find us a substitute hotel and told us to try and find one ourselfs and claim the costs on Agoda (up to 2 times the money we paid) sounds like a good solution but unfortunately the hotels left on a full moon late in the day will cost a lot more. Seagate did not offer us anything, not even a glass of water whatsoever in the 4 hours we were there trying to work things out. They called us a taxi to take us to the hotel we finally found on the north side of the island. Since we have been in Thailand we learned to ask for the price, 400 Baht per person she said, holding 4 fingers in the air and told the driver the same. So of we went to his taxi, after a long drive, he had to drop of other passengers along the way, we arrived at our new hotel. I gave the driver 800 Baht, as agreed, and he starts making trouble claiming 1000 for 2 people. By now I was really angry and I told him we made a deal at the Seagate hotel and that the manager was there to confirm. He calls the seagate hotel, talks for 30 seconds and hands over the phone to me. The same manager as before tells me now that she said 500 each. I know for sure she said 400 when we were at the seagate hotel since I confirmed it about 3 times. I am very sure she is in an the scheme since the other hotel owner where we stayed that night told us taxi rides were 200 per person and even showed a price list. I strongly advice against this hotel since they are frauds and corrupted to the bone. If you end up here being overbooked they will charge you a lot more for less or you have to find another hotel last minute which can cost a fortune. The Thai tourist police should take them down!

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Reviewed 22 May 2013

We arrived in ko phangan and it was getting dark very soon so we found this hotel that seemed a reasonible price, we asked to look at the rooms and yes they were pretty 'nice' rooms. Once we unpacked we realised we were still terribly sweaty and the aircon was blowing out hot air, I had just travelled from ko tao here and tried to look for somewhere for an hour in 38 degree heat so I was not in the mood, I went down to reception to find nobody there!!! I waited and waited until my partner had to go up stairs, a Thai man outside kept saying one moment and then got the lady for me who just looked at me like I was stupid when I told her RED in the face and sweat dripping onto the floor that the aircon wasn't working. She spoke to another women who then got another man to move us to the room next door, where thankfully the aircon did work. The bathroom was dirty and they were curly hairs in the sink and toilet and a used razor in the shower. The shower was cold not hot like it advertised and the extreemly LOUD music kept playing untila round 3-4am. The next morning when we went to check out there was again nobody at reception. We were sure we were meant to get breakfast but recieved nothing not even a person to hand our key too, so we left the key on the top and LEFT. Went back two days later after remebering we left important travel documents in the bedroom and special cards, the women at reception just said NO she didnt ask what room or when or made any attemp to help. Just kept looking and saying NO.

DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I stayed in a room that looks exactly as the one in the photo.

The location is very close to the beach, the area where the party is, so make no plans for going to sleep early unless you can do it with the music on.

Next time I will go for one of the beach bungalows as the need for A/C is minimal there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I booked this hotel back in April 2012 for 28th Dec - 2nd Jan 2013 when I arrived on the 28th to check in I was advised by the manageress she had sold the room I had booked which is the ones they show you on the website, however what they dont show you is the cell like rooms they then put you in when they have sold your room to someone else without any prior warning from the hotel or Sawadee,as the Island waas fully booked due to peak season I had no choice but to take this cell like room with two shared showers and toilets for at least 24 people. On the first night in this room it rained and the water poured in the roof so the room was soaked along with all of our belongings, I complained the next day and had tp practically beg to get another cell like room, again we were moved to another room two nights later the rain came again and we came home to 4 inch of water in this room and no-one at reception to complain to so we had to sleep on the floor in the hallway at reception, when the manageress did show up the next day she was so rude about having to move us again and refused point blank to sign a letter listing all of my belongings that were ruined for my travel insurance, we eventually checked out early with the promise of a full refund when I asked for this refund she again verbally abused me and said that she hated me, i was a (a word tripadvisor ont let me publish) again swearing at me just one line of abuse after another then threw 2000 baht in my face, I have witnesses and photos to prove all of the above which I will be posting on every review website I can find!! When I complained to Sawadee my booking agent they didnt want to know, never called me back as promised and were very abusive. I have been visiting KP for 15 years now and this was the worse experience of my life, stay clear of this hotel and booking agent Sawadee

Room Tip: there is no good rooms this hotel is awful
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AnnaMarieBreslin
uk
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We had booked the Seagate V2 back on April via Sawadee com. We paid for 5 nights and arrived on 28th Decemeber to be told there was a problem with our booking and our room was gone but they could offer us an alternative. They took us up stairs to the top floor and showed us a room that was no better than a dorm room and had 2 toilets that had to be shared with all the other rooms and dorms. We called Sawadee who where of no help to us and couldnt of cared less. The Manager of the Hotel was the same. As it was Fullmoon there was no way we would of got a room anywhere. We had to accept the room with 2 beds and shared toilet and get a refund as the hotel room we booked was far more expensive which the Manager was reluctant to give us. The toilets where a nightmare when you went into shower everyone in the queue was banging on the door for you to hurry up. Had i wanted a room with a shared toilet then i would of booked this but when traveling on holiday i dont want to share a toilet/shower with every man and their dog.

On return from fullmoon there was water in the corner of our room so we moved our backpacks. Then as it rained again we got home and the water was even worse we went to reception and they then transferred us into the room next door and the floor was dry. That night it also rained and when we got home the water in the room must of been about 9 or 10 inches deep our back packs were soaked. We could of swam in the room there was that much water never in my life have i ever seen anything like this before. Our mobile phones and tablets were ruined. When we went down to reception they had to come up with buckets to get all the water out of the room then we got transferred to room no 3. At this point we met a family in hotel who heard us arguing with the owners and booking agent. They had previously booked out rooms and paid the previous month to go and scatter their daughters ashes. Once the family arrived and there must of been about 10 of them so it would of been 5 rooms they where told the same there was a problem with booking and there rooms where gone so they where also put up on the rooms on top floor.
Once the moved us into the 3rd room and dried out the 2nd room we seen them sell that room onto another couple. As it rained again that couples room would of been the same when they returned. This time they had put towels down all the corridor and outside the doors of the rooms that clearly where leaking.

The manager told us we would get a full refund due to the hassle and the fact everything in our backpacks where ruined. When leaving on last day she went crazy when we asked for our money back . She callled my friend a [--] cow and went balastic saying she wasnt giving us any money. My friend stood her ground and told her she said she would refund us. This was all going on at reception with other guests standing and watching. Eventually after calling my friend all the name under the sun she had the cheek to throw 2000bht in her face and shout at her to get out her [--] hotel and not to come back. As we have traveled Thailand for over 10years there is a rule that you would never disrespect or even attempt to win an argument with a Thai we had to keep our cool and let this woman abuse us.

There was no security on the hotel reception at night time so anyone could of walked in off the street. We want to warn others not to book this hotel as the whole set up was a disaster and we wouldnt want anyone to go through what we did. The rooms we originally booked looked lovely and we where looking forward to staying in them how wrong where we???

Not only was the hotel at fault but also the booking agent Sawadee com. They couldnt of cared less and the amount of time and money that was spent on phone calls to them to get us sorted was a waste of time as they didnt care. We will be taking this matter further with the booking agent and claiming compensation but we wanted to warn other travelers NOT TO BOOK THIS HOTEL. I would advise you to sleep on the beach before booking a room at the Seagate as this was our worst experience of the holiday. So for the rest of the holiday i was left without a phone and tablet as both had been water damaged and not to mention the fact we had to get everything in our backpacks washed as everything was soaked.

Clearly the Hotel is taking all the booking from the agents then when people walk in off the Street they are selling the rooms on. The Managers attitude was disgusting and they way we where treated was a disgrace. The Hotel should be shut down. Please dont book this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank tineyuk
Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

I had booked the seagate for 4 days at 100 usd per night as it was during a full moon party. The location is amazing, just steps from cactus and the beach. Don't plan on sleeping until sleeping until at least 5am. Rooms were very nice, brand new everything, nice accent lighting.

Negatives
First one, which was not necessarily the hotels fault but there was no working wifi anywhere in the hotel and the computers in the lobby did not work either. Likely a server error as I could connect to wifi but no Internet. This lasted all 4 days.

On arrival, around 930pm, there was nobody at reception and we waited about 20 minutes and still nobody there. We had to go behind the reception desk to use their phone to call the "mobile" reception number and eventually about 45 minutes after we arrived a guy showed up and didn't really know what to do. He eventually just gave us a key without saying anything. There is nobody ever really at the reception desk, even during the day. There is one woman who starts in the morning and leaves at 9. She cleans the rooms and doubles as 'reception'. If you want something you need to track her down and she could be anywhere in the hotel.

The security at this hotel is seriously lacking, especially during full moon parties. There is no real safe, they have wooden lock boxes which could be easily broken, we chose to leave our valuables locked in our bags.

On the night of the full moon party we had come back to our room unwind a bit before going back out and were in the room about an hour. Within the hour we had 3 random people come knocking on our door looking to use our private washroom. There is NO staff on at night which makes the security of the place a very major worry when going out at night.

Staff (as minimal as it is) is quite friendly and will try to help when possible but poor English and little training makes it difficult, you are better off to book tickets for travel yourself at the numerous travel agencies in the area.

• Stayed August 2012
Little Paradise
#112 of 367 in Ko Pha Ngan
Rin Beach Resort
#88 of 133 in Ko Pha Ngan

Been to V2 Seagate Hip Hotel? Share your experiences!