“Surreal but superb”

The Mason's Arms
Ranked #55 of 363 Restaurants in Ko Pha Ngan
Price range: US$2 - US$11
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Want a taste of delicious home cooked food? Visit the Masons Arms English Pub during your stay on Koh Phangan. Air-conditioned smoke free restaurant. Free Wifi and Jukebox. Pool and darts, live football, open mic nights, extensive menu, with take away service. Good selection of beer and cider. UK Military Discount offered.
London, United Kingdom
“Surreal but superb”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

After a couple of months in Southeast Asia I happened upon here quite by accident and it was a VERY pleasant surprise.

It was rather surreal to see Mock British architecture on a tropical island in the gulf of Thailand, particularly with the authentic beer garden in the front, which gives way to palm trees and buffalo on either side! Inside, the design and layout are identical to many pubs that you will find back in the UK with a traditional layout with all of the regular features- the only thing that seems odd is that everything is new so it has a sense of being in a film set of an English pub.

Now to the food... I can't say I was expecting much from it, but the food was astoundingly good! I ordered the full English breakfast and was staggered by how excellent it was. Easily the best one I've ever had outside of the UK, and would hold its own against most in the UK too. My friend had the steak and ale pie, which I tasted and I was blown way by this too. I went back the next day with a load of Americans in tow to show them some traditional English grub and I made them all order pies and everyone loved it. I had the steak and kidney, which was delicious; a very generous portion comes with delicious mash, veg and gravy. The pastry is superb and the filling to die for!

I think anyone who comes to Southeast Asia and doesn't take advantage of the excellent and cheap local cuisine is missing a trick, but when you want a taste of home and some comfort grub then this is absolutely the place to come!

• Visited November 2013

Krabi, Krabi, Thailand
“Best western food hands down.”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our group who were mostly Brits went down to meet some other friends of ours for some day drinks and it turned into staying close to 12 hours, having three meals a piece and drinking copious amounts of cider. This place was phenomenal, and according to my British friends the food was accurate to a tee, not a component out of place. I strongly recommend this place, especially for anyone whos been out here a while and feeling some home sickness.

• Visited October 2013
Petworth, United Kingdom
“Small corner of Hampshire transplanted to Thailand - amazing!”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Out on a bike with my wife, looking for a Thai chicken-and-rice stall, when I thought I'd had an hallucination. But no - there really was a real English pub sat there in the jungle. Going inside was even weirder / better - not just a pub, but spotlessly clean with helpful welcoming staff. Result!

We haven't been home in over a year so merrily indulged in chip butty's and cider while chatting with Shaun the friendly landlord. Delighted with our discovery, will definitely go back when we return to Koh Phangan, deserves to do well.

(Small suggestion - in spite of the 'open' sign on the road the closed doors make the pub look shut and we asked before stopping - as we were leaving another patron pulled up and was about to leave until we convinced him the pub was open.)

• Visited September 2013
Thailand
“You can't go wrong with The Mason's.”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Fresh door wedge bread, pickles, cheese...if you're travelling, need I say more? You can't wrong here.

Visited August 2013
Australia
“Good food, clean, good music”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Staff gave friendly welcome when I arrived... Which sadly is a rarity on this island. Food was fast and too hot for me to eat at first which is a good thing. Fresh ingredients and the burgers are cheaper then other places in town that were disgusting. About 10 minute walk out of town but easily done. I'm staying across the road so I'm thankful to find somewhere that serves good high quality food... Can't wait to try scotch eggs!!!! Also their website only has a sample menu. The menu itself is quite large and varried. Nachos, Italian, steak, pies, breakfast, burgers etc etc

Definitely a must if you are staying locally

• Visited September 2013