“Very pleasant”

Ranked #97 of 133 Ko Pha Ngan B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

So, we were booked into another resort, and drove up on a day trip to visit Ko Ma - the little island point with good snorkeling. Miserable with our other accommodation, we looked around, and asked about bungalow prices and made an inspection.

We got a beach front bungalow which was lovely. It had air conditioning, fly screens, clean sheets and a hammock on the balcony.

The staff were very friendly here, and seemed to take a lot of pride in their establishment, from wiping down the beach furniture at the end of each day, to raking the beach first thing in the morning.

Despite it being low season, there were still plenty of people around which got rid of that sad abandoned feel that the other place that we stayed in had.

The food was pretty good, and I noticed that the kitchen looked clean. On the downside, the food was a bit pricey.

Room Tip: The beach front bungalows were very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HolidayLeech

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I arrived in low season, in the evening and there were plenty of bungalows available - so I got a pretty good deal. Other bungalows on Mae haad were 2x the price and not on the beach. I planned for 1 night but stayed 4 as the place grew on me - to be able to get up early, walk 30m to the water and snorkel with hundreds of fish before the day trippers arrived was perfect. The place was quiet at night and after I got over my nerves of the first night - I was fine. A couple of bugs were seen around the room but it is a beach and you are on the edge of the jungle - you are going to get that. Stay away from the restaurant - better eating at pims restaurant out on the street. While I found the staff to be initially rude, they later surprised me by coming to my bungalow to let me know that a taxi had arrived earlier for me and it would cost me less to take this one, instead of a later one I booked. That was considerate. Overall the beach is great - and there is not that much choice, and the bungalows are on the sand - lovely!

Room Tip: Room 5,6,7 on beach or 15,16 one row back - these are a little more private as people walking along...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Nvdm
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

We wanted to do some snorkelling and we decided to head to Haad Mae. aAfter seeing many places we landed at Island View Cabana. The Bungalow seemed alright and we decided to take it. When we got in, we found out there were no windows. No plumbing system and we could not even lock the door. We went back and asked for our money back. After almost an hour the staff still did not want to give us our money. I threatened to call the police and the girl did not seem bothered. Basically all our attempts were vain. They offered to move us to another resort, at double the price. In the end we decoded to stay and obtained the use of the safe for free. They also changed the light bulbs in our room and the lock. This place is not worth the money though. 1000 Baht per night is too much for a terrible bungalow.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Gianni2014Thailand

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had a horrible experience in this place. Booked 3 nights but stayed only one! At night the bungalows get infested by cockroaches, crickets and many other insects while you are sleeping (if you can sleep!).
My night was A NIGHTMARE. I was hearing noises of the insects crowling into the room from the holes in the walls and the door that doesn't close properly! Horrible!
Asked the manager to refund me at least a night (i even showed her the pictures of the insects on the floor that I managed to take during my SLEEPLESS NIGHT, but they kept all the money!)
TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!
STAY AWAY FROM THIS DISGUSTING PLACE! NO VALUE FOR MONEY.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Chiara P
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Holiday was a nightmare caused by food poisoning and staff rudeness. We ate the first 2 days only at their restaurant. Both had severe food poisoning from their seafood. For the next 6 days for one of us 2 days for the other. This can happen, we have travelled extensively through Asia and remote Pacific Islands, so we coped! Just learned another lesson. Still very unwell at day 6. When we checked out we booked a taxi rather than their songthew to move to another beach as I was not well enough to travel safely. Staff member was very abusive, argued with us, abused the kind person who had organised the taxi for us and we had problems getting them to return our luggage from their songthew. Return of 500 baht key deposit was difficult as well.
Best part of our stay was the laughter, kindness and concern from the great staff at the little massage hut 100 metres down the beach who did all they could to help us. Had great cheap massages there before we became ill. Koh Phangan is fantastic. This is our 3 rd visit, we have taken another week to fully recover. Fortunately we still have 2 more weeks on Koh Phangan to enjoy the people, beaches and Thai food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Davlyn-Bushby
International
Reviewed 29 November 2013

when you pay 400thb a night you can't really argue. You get a beach bungalow very near others (meaning noise); on the beach, rustic. To be fair it is pretty scenic, relaxed and quiet; plus staff were friendly. Snorkeling was ok if nothing special. Mostly families, couples and young groups when we were there. There is a little beach bear down the end of the beach with good pina coladas. That's about it so don't expect more...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank S E
boston
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Many bungalows by the water are around 900-3000 baht.at nicer places . Here theybrange from 400- 1500. If u want cheap then go here.. if u are a complainer dont! This place has no sense of service. If the staff set fire of your bungalow in the middle of the night, dont expect an apology. The 21 year old "manager" would simply tell you "not my fault" and walk away. We traveled with a show dog (minpin), and the pack of stray dogs that live on the premises howled and scrapped at my dog all night and tried to kill our dog. I felt hunted. "Manager" says " not our dogs". I say " but they live in one of the bungalows" she says " your dog not allowed". The nerve. This "resorts" goal is to collect money and not interact with guests. If u have problem. , they rather u leave and not come back. Dogs always walk into restaurant asking for food. They make non attempt to clean up dogs and make beach a safe place. Also manager admitted that the dogs have bitten guests before!. Still no effort to get ride of them..

• Stayed November 2013