Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane
US$71
US$69
US$380
Agoda.com
Milky Bay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$37
US$30
Agoda.com
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$178
US$109
Longbay Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
US$109
US$87
US$79
US$62
US$223
US$165
US$153
Agoda.com
Thongtapan Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)(Great Value!)
US$25
US$21
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewsprivate pooll occitanedeluxe beachfrontmain poolsunset baramsterdam barsunset viewthong salafew issueshotel poolturn down serviceamazing resortour honeymoonegg stationbreakfast was deliciousferry pierbeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Location is superb. The bungalows are spread from the hill top down to the private beach, amongst palm trees, with a very picturesque sunset view, very idyllic. Individual bungalows have a plunge pool overlooking the garden which is probably the best feature.

The rooms in the bungalows are very large, with half of the space taken by the open plan bathroom with a stand alone bath tube. However, some of the furniture and the general finish is rather dated and in need of senior updating. wifi was working but was rather slow and there was no music/radio/iplayer facilities, which is not acceptable for the most expensive hotel of the island, which is 5* boutique pretentious.

The private beach is rather charming as first impression, but not ideal to swim, as you have to walk for over 100m until the water reaches above your waste. I might have been unlucky in the spot I chosen, but still, what's the point of a private beach if you have to go swimming somewhere else?

Breakfast was very underwhelming, with very limited selection of fruit, juices and vegetables, more like 3 stars than 5. Most disappointing, the staff was rather cold and unwelcoming. I was asked 3 times when I arrived why I stayed only 1 night - as if it's as a crime and I had something to hide - and on the day I was leaving I was overcharged the ticket to go back to koh samui (including taxi rides on both sides) by 100%. Only when I ask to a breakdown of the fares I was told that this is just the hotel overcharging the standard fares rather than providing their own superior transportation. Basically the 100% overcharging is their booking fee. Eventually I was refunded and it was a small amount of money, but very unpleasant to be treated this way, the only bad experience of this type in Thailand.

In summary, poor value for money. All would be acceptable for 1/3 of what they charge, but at full price there are much better places out there.

Room Tip: some of the bungalows close to the beach have a great sunset view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FedeMTC
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear FredeMoskve,

Thanks for your extend feedback about our resort. All your different feedbacks will definetly help you improve our service.
We however would like to give you some precisions about your experience of stay, as it seems that their is some misunderstanding.

Regarding the transfer to Samui, our front desk staff booked for you a full transfer to Samui from our hotel to the airport, this include taxi + boat ticket and the price include service charge and VAT as every price policy of Thailand. You will agree that this kind of service ''key in hands'' have a higher value than a simple speed boat ticket. This booking as been made to your request, and we apologize you did misunderstand the price point at the time the receptionist did book your trip.

Regarding our beach, our water is not shallow, but as you mentioned, after around 70 m of swim, the depth is going to 2m all the way to 17m. Since we are located on an island, we have a coral reef, and this is part of the geographical aspect of the island, and its natural beauty for snorkeling.

Our villas are made at 90% of wood, imported from Bali, the furniture inside are as well imported from Bali and hand made. The irregularity you will find in the wood is normal as it is part of the design.
None hotel on the island have this kind of specifications. Our sink are carved in lava stone rocks and bath tub have unique design. We are sorry that you did not liked our unique design.

We do not provide ipod docks or other radio in our villas, the sound of nature and waves are for us the best live music available, and it is part of our concept. Our TV however offer a range of 20 international channels.

Our morning staff will be briefed about the quality of their service and we thank you for the point you made on it. When they ask you about your lengh of stay, it was a friendly approach and we did not mean to make you desapointed. Thai culture is famous to be courteous and friendly.

Our breakfast menu offer 15 dishes ''A la carte'' as well as a buffet with croissant and home made bread. We privilege quality over quantity, and I can certify that none breakfast in the island is made by a French chef, and all our juices ( 6 flavors) are entirely fresh. Once more we privilege quality over quantity...

I thank you one more time for the time you spent writting this very rich feedback and I invite you to come back to our resort where the best hospitality will be provided to you. Feel free to write me an email to my adress : fabrice@kupuphangan.com if you wish to give me more details about your stay or future visit

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The resort has a happy, peaceful feel which rubs off on you as soon as you arrive. The staff are all smiling, happy and kind.

The villas are set out well and I think all of them have a seaview. I was upgraded and for my first night I stayed in a seaview villa at the top of the resort, it has views to die for and it's own pool, but as it's next to the road, so you can hear car engines. I moved into a sunset view bungalow with pool, which was perfectly quiet with an equally fantastic view, this room felt very private. As the resort filled up for the Full Moon, I moved into the seaview room I initially booked, which is the cheapest room type, but this was great too, a huge room big enough for a family, but without it's own pool. My parents stayed in the beach view villa which was a few steps from the sea and the swimming pool. Although it was more visible to other guests it isn't a problem and it still felt very quiet and private.None of the villas are more than a two minute walk to the beach or pool.

The resort is expanding and there are building works to the left hand side, you can only hear it from the rooms situated on the left of the resort, so you may want to check this with the resort before arriving.

The resort team do a great job maintaining the beautiful grounds and bungalows in a relatively underdeveloped part of the island. You can see the staff all putting in a great deal of effort to make sure the guests have a lovely time. We were there on Valentines Day and the resort organised a lovely evening, we watched them spend hours preparing the tables and setting up the band. Each bungalow received a lovely box of chocolates too! The restaurant serves great food for lunch and dinner, you'll definitely want to eat a couple of times here. Breakfasts are good too, you can order off the menu or just have items from the buffet, it's up to you!

Within a 10 min walk along the beach either side of the resort are several cheap and cheerful places to eat and drink and Tong Sala is 10 mins away by taxi.

The spa is very high quality and the therapists are highly trained.

The resort is luxury but it's delivered in a low key, unpretentious way which perfectly suits Ko Phangan.

Room Tip: Villas at the back are a bit closer to the road so can be noisier, next level down are quiet, very private and romantic, villas towards the front are right by the sea and are very peaceful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear TRAM2014,

Thanks for your feedback about our resort and gardens. We take a lot of care in our garden and villas and we are glad you notify it.

Our resort is extending indeed, but the construction noise is minimal as we do not use any heavy equipment such as caterpillar. Having villas on both side of the resort does not create any noise disturbance as the noise coming from the construction is well managed.

We thank you again for the time you spent in your feedback and hope to see you soon in our resort for your next visit on the island.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Hello,
Hello,
I came with my future wife after being few month ago in another hotel around. In short, the team are extremely professional, the breakfast is one of the best ever, and Fabrice, the resort manager will make everything for you at any time.
Trust me on this one, I’m working around the globe, and I’ve found a place which I defiantly going to visit again.
U must check in.
Enjoy life,
Eyal (eyal@votalix.com)

Room Tip: well, basically, all of the northern side is great.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eyal S
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Eyal,

Thanks for your wonderful feedback about your stay in our resort. We put a lot of attention in our breakfast with fresh juice and freshly made croissant and bakeries to start your day.

We are glad you notify it and my team and I will keep on ensuring the best standards of service possible

Once again thanks for your comment and we hope to see you soon for your next visit on the island.

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

What more can I say .... postcard perfect! Staff amazing! Atmosphere, location, accommodation, service and amenities are all first class. The only thing I could fault was due to so many changes in management and staff from when our original booking was made eight months prior up until a day before we left there were discrepancies regarding our accommodation. You should be very proud you have such wonderful and dedicated staff who interact with the guests to help make their holiday that little bit special.

Stayed: January 2014
KKB_Management, General Manager at Kupu Kupu Phangan Beach Villas and Spa by l'Occitane, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Kazzie67,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. Even if you enjoyed your time with us, we sincerely apologize for our misunderstanding regarding your booking. As all got sorted out, it seems that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our team and it training is the core of our business and we take pride in their quality of service. We thanks for your comment and we will pass it on the whole team.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

From the moment we arrived in reception until the time we left Kupu Kupu we were so impressed with this resort. All of the staff are extremely friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The villas are superb with the perfect amount of privacy but still close to the restaurant, pool and beach. We often felt like we were in a world of our own with no street noise to speak of and just the occasional fishing boat putting by or the low rumble of a passing ferry. The food served at the restaurant was delicious with a mix of Thai and western dishes to choose from. Thongsala village is only a 10 minute taxi or moped ride away if you wish to experience the night markets to sample the local food. We will definitely be returning to Kupu Kupu in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Catyle

Dear Catyle,

Thanks for such a great comment about our resort..

Our young resort strive for quality and we are glad to enjoy your time among us. Our French chef Bruno is dedicated to provide you the best of Koh Phangan in culinary and we are glad you enjoyed it..

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back during your next stay in Koh Phangan and provide you and even better experience in our resort.