Review of Agama Yoga

Agama Yoga
More attraction details
Owner description: Agama is the Yoga University on the paradise tropical island of Koh Phangan (Thailand). It is a place for spiritual seekers who are looking for Truth. We offer monthly Yoga courses and drop-in classes,Tantra workshops, meditation retreats, and specialize in Teacher Trainings. We also have an Ayurvedic & Holistic Healing Center. Our program consists of teachings and explanations of various techniques from many styles of Yoga, including Hatha Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Tantra Yoga, Kriya Yoga, Laya Yoga, Raja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana yoga, Nidra Yoga, and Bhakti Yoga, altogether constituting a genuine example of "Integral Yoga" At Agama you can discover yourself, reveal your full potential and evolve spiritually. Together, we form a supportive community of interesting people from all over the world. We offer a special atmosphere, great teachings, and profound knowledge. We make an authentic form of Yoga based on Indian and Tibetan traditions available to you in a practical and comprehensible way which is easy to apply in your daily life. Our aim is to guide our students into a journey of self-discovery and process of self-development.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Such an amazing school! Powerful teachings surrounded by a great community! Definitely recommend this school to anyone interested in traditional and deep forms of Yoga!

7  Thank Amitayus Ricky H
in 9 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I spent about two years with Agama at its different locations in Thailand, India and Mexico. It’s is a wonderful place to get an education on the fundamentals of true yoga. The Level 1 class will likely change your life for the good.

However, the practice is extremely powerful, and it is difficult for many people to keep their heads straight. Some women loose all inhibition (when a bit of inhibition can be useful) and men become a source for a lot of unnecessary emotional pain (due to having multiple sex partners).

One of the first things you learn when arriving in Thailand is that Swami will have sex with pretty much any attractive woman, so he can “teach her” about Tantra. This is not a rumour. He said it in front of me more than once, and I know women he’s slept with. In fact, he will sleep new students, often after hypnotizing them, and those who are clearly in an emotionally vulnerable state.

Agama will teach you how to harness immense power, but it does a poor job of demonstrating how to use it. I learned a lot there. Yet the teachings and environment lead me to making some really big mistakes in my personal life.

Be careful!

48  Thank MikeALM
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was a Yoga Newbee and was really impressed by the program and the whole approach!
Very recommended for western minded people!
I especially like the lectures on all kinds of topics that noone teaches in university!
I will definitely be back!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
7  Thank FlorianBarcelona
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Evolutionary and mind expanding with incredible teachers and ancient principles. Agama teaches the truth of what yoga really is

3  Thank Jaqlyn G
See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My partner and I attended a Tantric retreat at Agama yoga. Overall, we had a positive experience and came out with a very heightened spiritual connection. However, I feel that this was the case largely because we remained very focused on our own experience rather than what was happening around us.
My partner and I are in a monogamous relationship. Being a tantric retreat and us not being too experienced with this practice, we assumed there would be many other couples, however there ended up being far more singles and only one other couple was monogamous. This was just fine with us until some activities arose where we were only allowed to participate if we did so with others. When asking if we could participate all the same but only with each other we were told that was not the point of the exercise and we could not. We felt a lot of pressure to participate both verbally and non verbally but in the end decided it was not for us and were forced to go home. After standing outside and seeing everyone get undressed and sexual with each other, switching every couple of minutes, we were very content with our decision. Only a few minutes later, the other monogamous couple ran out in tears. The next day, many women arrived in tears and the energy was completely different between many couples. It was clear that boundaries has been crossed the night before. Tantric intimacy is a practice between a man and a woman. We were confused as to why it was considered so wrong in this environment to participate in every aspect with your 'one and only'. Surely, this would create a far more pure and powerful energy than with someone you just met? We felt this divide was very unnecessary and uncomfortable.
In contrast, like I said, staying focused on our own interactions brought us great joy and we experienced many beautiful revelations in our relationship . We took a lot away from this retreat and met some very inspiring people. Most of the activities brought us to a new level of 'closeness' and we truly learned a lot about ourselves and our relationships. We really enjoyed the verbal teaching as we were given a vast amount of information on tantra, communication and the relationship between Shiva and Shakti. This, along with the variety of wonderful mediation practices we learned, we still reference today. Living in Thailand at the time, this one definitely one our highlights.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction