I think the review below mine is spot on. While my overall experience was positive, there were a few little things that detracted from the experience.
I am backpacking in Thailand and decided to splurge on a nice hotel for a night. When I am spending about 8 times my standard nightly room rate, my standards are higher. There were just a few little things which I found frustrating.
- Very, very comfortable beds
- Nice pool overlooking the beach, with swim up bar
- Good fitness room
- Clean, modern rooms
- Well maintained and well manicured grounds
- location would be excellent for full moon party
- I had found this hotel online and noted the online price. Since I was staying just down the street, I decided to walk up and take a look before booking for the following night. When I did, the lady at reception quoted me the same price as what I had seen online. I asked whether I needed to pay upfront to confirm my reservation, but since the resort was empty (due to it being low season), she said it was fine to just come back the next day. Of course, when I did, she was not at reception and I was quoted a much higher price than the day before. Even though it was 8 days after the full moon party, I was being asked to pay the full moon rate. Eventually she agreed to the lower rate, but this really bothered me, as it seems they were just trying to get more money from me. This was especially annoying since the online price was still the original quote and the card she showed me clearly said the new price I was being quoted was full moon price. If the place was full, I could understand this better, but there was literally 10 other people in the resort. She later apologized for the "misunderstanding" but I don't really think there was any misunderstanding about it.
- The restaurant is poor. The prices are 2 to 3 times most places in the area. I understand its the convenience and location I'm paying for, and I would be fine with that, if the food was any good. My ham and cheese sandwich came covered in wayyy too much mayo and mustard. It was supposed to come with "fresh cut French fries" which turned out to mean 3 slices of potato. It also took about 30 minutes to arrive. The kitchen seems entirely unable to handle more than one order at a time, and since a table of 5 sat down before me, I was out of luck. Also was not impressed that the woman at the table next to me who ordered after me received her chicken sandwich before me. Don't think her husband (who ordered with her) was impressed either as she was finished her food before he got his. I also ate the complimentary breakfast the next morning - didn't realize it was easy to screw up eggs, but my "poached" eggs came rock hard. More like hard boiled.
- The water pressure in the shower was weak. Couldn't get the shampoo out of my hair (and I don't have thick hair). I know this is a problem through out Thailand, but I've stayed in hostels with better water pressure.
Overall, the place was nice and I had a relaxing time, but for the money I paid, I think things could have been a bit better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contact us direct for the best rates available. Stylish and contemporary, our design is based on outdoor living bringing Koh Phangan's picturesque sunset beach and the tropical atmosphere into our resort, making it a special place for everyone to relax, enjoy and remember.Retreat to the peace and relaxation of our Sunset Beach after enjoying the island's colorful nightlife.Be our guest, make friends and experience the unique island of Koh Phangan with us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.