“A bit overrated”

Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Sydney, Australia
“A bit overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

I think the review below mine is spot on. While my overall experience was positive, there were a few little things that detracted from the experience.

I am backpacking in Thailand and decided to splurge on a nice hotel for a night. When I am spending about 8 times my standard nightly room rate, my standards are higher. There were just a few little things which I found frustrating.

The good:
- Very, very comfortable beds
- Nice pool overlooking the beach, with swim up bar
- Good fitness room
- Clean, modern rooms
- Well maintained and well manicured grounds
- location would be excellent for full moon party

The not-so-good:
- I had found this hotel online and noted the online price. Since I was staying just down the street, I decided to walk up and take a look before booking for the following night. When I did, the lady at reception quoted me the same price as what I had seen online. I asked whether I needed to pay upfront to confirm my reservation, but since the resort was empty (due to it being low season), she said it was fine to just come back the next day. Of course, when I did, she was not at reception and I was quoted a much higher price than the day before. Even though it was 8 days after the full moon party, I was being asked to pay the full moon rate. Eventually she agreed to the lower rate, but this really bothered me, as it seems they were just trying to get more money from me. This was especially annoying since the online price was still the original quote and the card she showed me clearly said the new price I was being quoted was full moon price. If the place was full, I could understand this better, but there was literally 10 other people in the resort. She later apologized for the "misunderstanding" but I don't really think there was any misunderstanding about it.
- The restaurant is poor. The prices are 2 to 3 times most places in the area. I understand its the convenience and location I'm paying for, and I would be fine with that, if the food was any good. My ham and cheese sandwich came covered in wayyy too much mayo and mustard. It was supposed to come with "fresh cut French fries" which turned out to mean 3 slices of potato. It also took about 30 minutes to arrive. The kitchen seems entirely unable to handle more than one order at a time, and since a table of 5 sat down before me, I was out of luck. Also was not impressed that the woman at the table next to me who ordered after me received her chicken sandwich before me. Don't think her husband (who ordered with her) was impressed either as she was finished her food before he got his. I also ate the complimentary breakfast the next morning - didn't realize it was easy to screw up eggs, but my "poached" eggs came rock hard. More like hard boiled.
- The water pressure in the shower was weak. Couldn't get the shampoo out of my hair (and I don't have thick hair). I know this is a problem through out Thailand, but I've stayed in hostels with better water pressure.

Overall, the place was nice and I had a relaxing time, but for the money I paid, I think things could have been a bit better.

1 Thank siobhanhughes
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Siobhan I am pleased that your overall experience was positive and that the resort itself generally scored top marks within your detailed scoring. It is very disappointing then that we let you down in a couple areas to take the shine off what should have been a great experience. T Although we always try our best, mistakes may happen but we are committed to ensuring guests have the best time so we will use your comments during training to help eradicate such mistakes and improve our service. I do also plead for all guests to talk to myself or management about your stay during your stay so we can respond appropriately to ensure that you have the best holiday possible; that’s what we are here for. In response to your comments:

Although we recommend that guests reserve through our website to ensure they get the room they want, we do also offer discounts to walk-in guests but this of course depends on our occupancy and the details of your requested stay; number of nights, etc. I assure you that our receptionist would not have been trying to get more money from you and seems more a case of miscommunication.

As for your experiences within our restaurant again our introduction of a restaurant egg-station should help in one instance and regarding the other points I will coordinate with our kitchen team to clear these issues. Regarding the water pressure this is something that we can usually resolve quite easily and so by informing us during your stay we could have acted.

I would like to thanks you for giving us your feedback to help us better our service and also providing us the opportunity to give some helpful advice to TA readers.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

4 night stay over May 2013 full moon party.

Firstly, above all we enjoyed our stay but it could have been better.

Rooms: clean but pretty basic, it's very contemporary and once you see past the grey paint and high gloss its not particularly special, bathroom was clean and overall rooms are pretty good. We popped along to a friends room in room 04, he had a pool facing villa, nice but £40 more than our room and on 2 days there was basically a pool party with booming music from 3-7pm. Not good for anyone wanting a siesta before a night out, and defo not worth the extra £40 over standard rooms.

Restaurant, we only used this for breakfast, it was ok but took an age to get 2 poached eggs! Then once I got mine I had finished and eaten the rest of my breakfast before my wife got hers, its little things, might sound petty but when I pay £60+ a night (considering I've paid £7-15 all over Thailand and had better) I expect breakfast to be able to be served together, after all a poached egg takes about 1minute to cook, there seemed to be 7-10 staff running about wiping tables down, perhaps another one it the kitchen would help? Can't comment on luches or dinners as didn't eat here for those meals.

Pool and poolbar: pool is nice and was very busy on 2 of the days particularly as mentioned there was a pool party, DJ banging tunes out and a gathering of people getting on it!! It took 20 mins to finally get 2 beers!! Again 10 staff flapping about and nobody with urgency, people in pool were getting served and non pool side were waiting ALOT longer, again just a simple routine of a few guys making cocktails whilst others served and took money would have sped up this whole process, again a little frustrating.

Beach: not great, infact pretty naf, there seemed to be about 10 sunbeds, and with 78 rooms I guess this place and have anything up to 150+ people when busy, do the maths, there were ALOT of people on beach on towels, (which are provided in rooms) but beach was pretty stoney and not by any means a picturesque Thai beach you will have seen elsewhere in Thailand, didn't fancy the water after taking 10 steps in and seeing loads of sea urchins I bailed and went back to pool.

Haad rin: 10 min walk to haad rin beach and all the bars and restaurants and of course the full moon party.

Reception desk, all very nice and friendly but again frustrating, we were asking questions about transfers etc and the girls were more interested in giggling and laughing to each other rather than helping us. We eventually 2 days later got a ticket sorted out but had asked well in advance, when I asked again like over a day later they said oh hold on, called Lomprayah and as I expected they were fully booked, had they done this in any of the 20+ hours previous that the Lomprayah office was open we would have had our seats! Instead we had to settle for the car ferry and a god awful local bus the other side before missing our departure and turning up 3 hours later to Krabi than we wanted or expected.

All in all a decent place, but just got the feeling although staff were all very nice and friendly they need someone to train them properly. It felt to me it needs someone to get hold of it and wake it up a bit, does that make sense? Hope so.

7/10 but with improved service would go to 9/10

Thanks for a decent stay.

2 Thank TheGooner14
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
We are happy that overall you enjoyed your stay and hope that you appreciate that Full Moon places unusual demands on the service team but we are always looking to improve our standards to ensure our guests’ stays are perfect whenever they join us. In this I thank you for your feedback and wish to give you some responses.
The unsatisfactory response time of your egg order is something we must improve on. During Full Moon the 150 guests tend to all arrive for breakfast at the same (late) time and so this may either result in the odd delay or miscommunication. We apologize for this. The future plan is to have an ‘egg station’ with our cooks visible in the restaurant so that guests can order direct and see their egg made to their required taste. It will also help us to manage response times better. It’s a shame that you did not try out lunch or dinner to experience a changed dining atmosphere and service.
Regarding bar service during our Full Moon warm-up event sometimes service can become hectic particularly during cocktail happy hours. You may have missed but there is always a stationary cashier but the barman receives the payment from the guest to issue to the cashier for a number of reasons. What we will take from your comments is that during special events we will add a temporary bar adjoined for beer and soft drink orders and also advise guests more clearly that these orders can still be placed at the restaurant less than 5 meters away.
To create a more relaxing beachfront we have an order of additional loungers on the way to double our number from 20 to 40 but we will not be using all of these at the same time as we’re reluctant to be seen as taking over the beach so we are also looking at other ideas to create a more relaxing environment for our guests to chill beach-front and poolside.
As for the incident regarding your transfer arrangement it appears there has been a miscommunication as our Reception team believed that you were making an initial inquiry about times without yet wanting to book. All transfer requests require the guests’ attendance for confirmation of details to the ferry company and the signing of your service voucher. If you in your initial request wished to confirm then this is a mistake that is both outside of procedure and character. We will use this as a case-study to prevent it happening again and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
I would like to once again thank you for your feedback, we can hopefully use this to push us up to that 9/10 for any future visits.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Finally a first class resort close to Haadrin Beach. Been coming to Haadrin for the FM party for many years and there has never really been anything trendy or upscale until now. Thankfully THE COAST has arrived: great food, awesome service and fantastic chic pool. Nothing can be said badly about this wonderful resort, but of course you might not like it if you are not into modern.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhilipBenoy
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Philip thanks for this great review and I particularly am proud of the first line. Haad Rin is such a great place and doesn’t get the reputation it fully deserves; probably because the town still holds only to a real laid back island culture. Well we hope that The COAST Resort is the first step in the right direction in bridging the gap in bringing class and quality to the town whilst retaining the friendly and laid back atmosphere of this island that is so charming. I’m glad that you think we do this in style too. I agree that modern may not always be too everyone’s taste but at least Koh Phangan and Haad Rin now has the choice with us. From my own experience as a holiday maker you usually find a place that either has style or charm but not both and I hope that our team here manages to do just that. Glad you had a wonderful time and hope to see you back next time !
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

Really liked this place. Stayed there for a few nights during full moon period in March. Clean, comfortable rooms. Lovely pool and pool bar. Gets busy at cocktail hours so I would advise getting a few in once you're served or you may not get another turn!

We ate there twice and the food was lovely. However, as others have said it is pricier than most places on the island and we found ourselves falling in love with the place next door instead; it was so chilled out and relaxing and the food was still fantastic but at a more reasonable price.

This hotel is definitely more upmarket (which is a nice change as there are so few places like that in KP), but if you're not into the poser-y pool crowd scene it may not be for you! The music around the pool was also pretty much round the clock funky house. The sunsets are fantastic but the beach itself nothing to write home about, the sand is so grainy it is painful! Well located though and only a 5 min walk to the action.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Luke thanks for the review and happy to hear that you really liked your stay with us and enjoyed the Full Moon festival atmosphere created at the resort. Happy to hear that you also liked the chilled and relaxed atmosphere retain at Seaside Bungalows next door we agree that they’re very quaint; it shows the diversity that makes this island so great. Next time you visit you’ll have to try outside of the festival week when the whole island returns to it more natural peaceful and more romantic state of calm. We change the music from house to chilled sunset sounds and acoustic sets and even manage to trade the posers in for couples ;)Until then take care and thanks again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel with simple rooms but very confortable! All the charm is in the unlimited Pool and the bar you can enjoy when you swim. The view is amazing and the it is the best spot for a sunset.

The service is perfect! The staff help you in all the steps of your time in the hotel.

Thanx for the amazing experience! We leave tomorrow but for sure we will come back and send you many people!

• Stayed May 2013
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Amazing hotel and experience with perfect service; I don’t think that we could receive a more flattering appraisal. Thank you so much for taking the time to support us, telling the world about us and we will be sure to take extra special care of any friends you send our way. Make sure if anyone’s planning to join us (including yourself) to drop me or our reservations team a direct email and we’ll assure them your returning guests Friends Of The Coast privileges.
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

The Coast Resort is very close to the main fun activities and beach parties on the isalnd but it also has its privacy with a great romantic view. I love that the hotel was spotless clean. My room had a beach and pool view at a good price for Thailand in general. The bar and the pool were lovely and the atmosphere was not good only for us couples but I will bring my kids next time too.
I want to thank thank the staff and the general manager most for their gratitude and most of all I like how the GM empowers his staff to work and gave them the space to be friendly yet professional. Thanks again for a great holiday!

Room Tip: Most hotels have limitted beach /pool view in Thailand and especially the islands so it's also g...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
I’d like to take a moment to convey my gratitude for the praise you have directed to me personally. However I cannot take all this credit as I have a wonderful management team here that supports me and holds the same belief that everyone from the staff to our guests should feel at home and enjoy all their days here; this is our resort concept. It could also not be possible without the right people and we’re lucky to have a great staff team here with great personalities. We’re also lucky to have attracted an amazing host of guests to date who have given us great on-line support and helped to create the friendly atmosphere in and around our resort. I’d certainly consider you within this and so would like to thank you once again. See you poolside !
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Amazing hotel! Such a good atmosphere at the pool with deadly music. Staff were so kind (especially Kib) ! Very welcoming right from the start. May be a 10 min walk from the FM but it is definitely worth it! Cannot wait to go back at the end of our trip! No where compares to it!

Room Tip: Room 1 - 5 are the best :)
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Hey Sally well after this review we’ll be even more welcoming when you come back in July! Thanks so much and you gave Kib a big smile from ear to ear after I showed her your review. Enjoy the rest of your trip and we’ll see you poolside in a few weeks.