“Gorgeous hotel, great staff & good location”

The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan
Ranked #6 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Croydon
“Gorgeous hotel, great staff & good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Me and my friend stayed here in May 2013 over the full moon period. It's walkable to Haad Rin beach but not too close to the madness which was good. Depending on which port you come into, they do organise a car to pick you up but even from the other one it was only about 100 baht on the tuk tuk.
The staff were really friendly and helpful. The bar staff in particular were really good fun.
The breakfast had the usual choices you'd expect from a hotel. Only had dinner there one night and it was fine but it's much better to go exploring.
The hotel don't have laundry service but there's a place literally across the road (that they told us about). There's also a convenience store close by and also the boxing stadium (although that's a generous word to use) where we saw the Muay Thai boxing.
The hotel is practically brand new so the room was really clean and modern with AC, TV, a safe and a bathroom with wetroom shower. With 2 girls staying there, we really could have done with a floor length mirror but that's the only bad feedback I have for the room.
The ONLY bad thing I can think of is that there aren't many sunloungers and because it's got such an amazing pool and bar people from other hotels would be there and there were times when it was a struggle to get a lounger and you knew it was being taken up by non-guests but I guess not much can be done with that.

Room Tip: The pool side rooms are worth the additional money if you want to be in the thick of the party atmos...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hi girls thanks so much for the review and feedback. Good to hear that overall you were happy with the resort, its location and the service provided here. Once again its wonderful hearing that on top of the service you found our team to be friendly, helpful and fun !
Regarding your feedback for additions to the resort, the full-length mirrors and the loungers; we have acted on these issues after listening to our guests comments. We have additional sun-loungers (and beach-beanbags) due for arrival and we have just ordered full-length mirrors to be installed on the inside face of our wardrobe doors. I would like to that you and other guests for such helpful suggestions which will help us to continuously improve.
Your next stay with us will hopefully be perfection.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

We arrived a little tired from traveling and although we were really excited to see the parties hosted on the island, we really needed a good sleep in a quiet hotel. The COAST was the balance we needed. The hotel is brand new and the staff are excellent, making sure to go the extra mile (cold water and iced towels as we waited in the lobby for a taxi among other things) The pool is breathtaking and the free breakfast every morning is a nice way to wake up and get plans together. It is a 5 minute walk to the full moon parties and town. The hotel itself is clean and has really nice American standard bathrooms (which I found few and far between in Thailand) Incredible. I can not wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chase P
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Hey Chase we're grateful knowing that a mix of American standards with Thai hospitality made for an amazing experience for you guys. What's also great knowing is that you feel that we kept the right balance of providing peace and quiet whilst setting the right environment for the islands festival week. For 3 weeks of each month peace and quiet is what we and Koh Phangan do best then as the island throws a week of incredible parties its important that we create the right atmosphere for our guests but also keep to what we and the island do best; chilling. Thanks for appreciating that. Hope you come back and thanks to your motivational support we'll keep going that extra mile.
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the coast for 6 nights over the full moon period, the hotel is really modern and clean, the staff are friendly and helpful.

The room was nice and modern, I would recommend a garden room with a balcony as the standard rooms do not have this.

The food in the restaurant was average, the chicken satay was yummy and the satay sauce is the nicest I've had since I've been in Thailand but the burger was a bit crumbly and some times the potato wedges were hard in the middle. Overall an average/fine place to grab a bite to eat at lunch.

The only grumble we had was towards the end of our stay when a lady at reception, who was lovely and meant well, didn't speak very good English and told us that Thongsala was much nicer than haad rin, full of restaurants. So we asked for a taxi transfer there (400 baht 1 way about £8/9s) but we were dropped off down a dingey alley with 1 cafe type restaurant and 2 bars which weren't up to much. We had a wander but the surrounding areas were unlit and there didn't seem to be anything there. This annoyed us slightly as the night itself was a dissapointment and it cost us 900 baht round trip to get back to the hotel when we could have had as equally grim meal in a place in haad rin!

The location of the hotel is good only 10 mins to haad rin and the hotel does 1 way transfers for 50 baht pp which seems reasonable.

Overall a pleasant stay at the coast, it seems like the best option for hotels in haad rin as the surrounding hotels and hostels looked pretty dire. If you want clean, modern and friendly staff in a lively environment during FMP I would chose the coast.

Finally we wanted to say that Steve on reception was really helpful and seemed clued up on the island/ places to go, I think it would be a good idea to give him a role as a concierge to perhaps advise guests on trips and places to go in the area and given that he speaks native English this would help both guests and the Thai staff who lack in this area.

Thanks for a nice stay if we are ever back in haad rin the coast will be our 1st choice again.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Joanne thanks to you and Michael for review and your stay here with us. I'm pleased to see that you guys enjoyed your stay and found our staff friendly and helpful; it's always particularly pleasing when our guests strike up a good relationship with at least one member of our team and so its great knowing that Steve left a very positive impression.
Its a shame that you were caused to grumble about your night out in Thongsala as the town does actually have a few good places to go but they're not all centred together in walking distance (unlike Haad Rin town which is a close walk-able hub of bars, restaurants and shops) and so you need to know your way around or have transport. We always give our guests maps at check in and talk through them before sending people off in a taxi so its upsetting knowing that we haven't done this for you on this occasion. I'd like to thank you for highlighting this so that we can discuss this with our reception team to confirm the importance of giving all the information possible every time.
Thanks again for the review and support and if you are ever back I'll be happy to give you the guided tour myself. Take care.
Veghel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

We stayed at The Coast Resort for 6 days and everything was perfect, from the second we arrived until the moment we left.
The hotel looks great, it's very modern of wich I'm usualy not a big fan. But everything just looks right and with al the plants and tree's it's really balanced if you ask me. We stayed in the superior room. The rooms are not very big but big enough for 2 people. The rooms have a very big window in wich you see al the nice palmtrees. There's is good airconditioning in the rooms. The bathroom is nice and clean. You have a big TV with a lot of channels and in Thailand they almost always air good movies so there is always something on, if you even get to wachting of course. Housekeeping was good wich is a big plus with all the sand you take with you from the beach.
The infintypool is just gorgeous. The poolbar is great with delicous cocktails. And at the restaurant they serve good food and a very good breakfast (the best we had in thailand). And of course the view is just fabulous.
The location is great. It's easy to find and it's close to Haad Rin beach and city centre, but because it's a 10 minute walk away it's very nice and quiet. Taxi's also pass the hotel very regularly because the resort is on the main road to Thongsala.
But the best thing about this hotel is the staff. They really make you feel welcome and special. They help you with everything. They speak the best english I have heard in my vacation. They just make an efford to make you feel at home.
We very much enjoyed our stay. If we ever go back to Koh Phangan we would go here again without any doubt.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
AdamBoulton, General Manager at The COAST Resort - Koh Phangan, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Hi Christel we're happy to see that everything was perfect for you and Johannes; from the design and retained nature to the facilities and location. But similarly the best feedback from this is that the best thing you saw in our resort was the staff. I will always repeat this but it gives us the best feeling when our guests appreciate the effort and personal care we try to put into making our guests holidays as perfect as possible and in making you feel welcome and right at home. It's great also now that we're already starting to once again get positive comments about our restaurant as we've been working on improving this area of the resort. It is a work in progress as every aspect of service will always be as we continuously wish to strive to be at our best but if we do these things with genuine care for our guests then we won't go too wrong. Thanks for your support, your appreciation and I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you with us again.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

I looked up every hotel on this island and came across this one. reviews were the best so I booked it.

I'm really impressed with the service when we arrived, the rooms and the attention to detail.

great views and pool, and 5 minute walk to full moon party.

we will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi Shaun I hope that people do take your advice a "book" their holidays with us as I really believe that we can give our guests the best Koh Phangan experience; whether that's a more friendly yet sophisticated warm-up to the Full Moon festival or the peaceful and relaxing sunset strip setting for the other 3 weeks of each month. We're glad that you enjoyed your Full Moon experience and please come back any time! Thanks for your invaluable support.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed in Thailand for a little over 10 days and of my experiences with hotels and catering while there I have to say it was the best and to a high standard compared to other luxury hotels I have stayed in worldwide.
The staff were all very friendly and helped with any request. The food was delightful and they had a great choice of tradition and western food to cater for all.
We stayed right on the pool front in a beautiful bungalow which was cleaned daily to a high level and came with all mod cons.
The pool bar was a nice touch and the service we got there was great.
Overlooking the beach and sea meant sunset was beautiful and something not to be missed.
We were working and the staff helped us by giving tips of where to go, car hire and other information that we would of been at a loss for.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard D
Hi Richie thanks for such a glowing review ! To state that we provide a high standard amongst the best worldwide is very flattering and humbly appreciated. So of course your on-line support is also appreciated. We hope you have a great time in Glasgow and when your on your way home to Mexico please feel free to take a detour and visit us again; you'll be more than welcome !
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I enjoyed a stay at The Coast for 5 days in May of 2013. I had intended to stay 3 days but after enjoying my time there so much & meeting & connecting with many fun & likeminded guests & staff there I decided to extend my stay a couple of days.

The service was impeccable & spot on from the moment I arrived. It is a very welcoming crew & they truly want to help you enjoy every minute of your stay on the island as much as possible. Everyone was very friendly, knowledgable on where to go & what to do & professional on every level.

Some of the things that stand out most are the service, the pool ambiance & the drinks :) The best mixologists serving up cocktails at the swim up bar, overlooking the ocean with good house music...what's not to love?! This trip being my second time to Koh Phangan I also think The Coast is in a perfect location as it's a very easy 10-15 min walk to Haad Rin (the party beach) so if you want to you can easily walk down to the parties but you can also easily & quickly get out! A short walk home & your back to a nice quiet haven which for me is key.

I traveled by myself & I felt completely safe & welcome. If you are wanting to experience the land of smiles & fun that Thailand is known to be I suggest you check in here :) I will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Hey California Gypsy ;p We pride ourselves on providing not only a welcoming atmosphere but also a safe and friendly place for all guests and to have a lady solo traveller so completely safe and welcome that you extended your stay and will "definitely be back" means we're doing a good job. Part of that is our care to security, our CCTV and 24hr manned security but mainly I think its generally that care of our team and also a big part of it is that we've been lucky enough to attract (as you say) other like mended friendly guests; everyone is so open and friendly to each other hear. It's a great feeling.
Well thanks so much for you fab review and we will look forward to your definite return to The COAST Resort !