“Muay Thai Training”

Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym
Ranked #28 of 74 things to do in Ko Pha Ngan
More attraction details
Owner description: Koh Phangan Muay Thai & Fitness Gym is located on the beautiful tropical island of Koh Phangan in the Gulf of Thailand. It's the first Muay Thai Gym in Koh Phangan and has been around for over 15 years teaching Thai Boxing to both Thais and foreigners of all levels.The gym is in the vibrant town of Thongsala with many beautiful resorts and bungalows close by and a wide variety of shops and restaurants as well as the local night market.The camp offers professional muay thai training from their highly experienced and qualified instructors for all age groups ranging from beginners to professionals. They have both Thai and western fighters training year round and veteran trainers who offer a more personalized approach to its students and clients in a family-like atmosphere.The camp makes it a priority to keep the student to trainer ratio low so that each student gets the proper instruction and attention they need and build a bond with the trainers.Get fit, sharpen your self defense skills, have an experience of a life time with a Thai Boxing training holiday in the tropics.The camp also has a fully equipped fitness gym on premises and a fully stocked muay thai shop with dietary supplements.
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I booked two months of private Muay Thai sessions training twice a week. Mot Daeng was my trainer. He consistently pushed me so my cardio. fitness improved, he corrected me when my technique was lacking and showed me some of the basics of Muay Thai. I had not done Muay Thai before and this was a fantastic introduction to the sport. As a female training at the gym I never once felt intimidated. Thanks Mot Daeng!

Rob and See the joint-owners were friendly, inclusive and helpful. I used the gym three times a week and found everything I needed; kettle bells, free weights, skipping ropes.

Rob M, Manager at Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thanks for the review Sam. We really enjoyed having you at the gym. Good luck and keep training;)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

hi! I was traveling alone to thailand. visited the island before and trained w Chorenrit then too! Its the best gym on the island, with professional trainers, proper equipment for a reasonable price. its feels really homey. almost like a family if you stick around for a bit. and they serve delicious green papaya salad! I definitely recommend this gym to anyone travelling alone and/or with friends! love from Amsterdam, Tess!

1  Thank citizenTess
Rob M, Manager at Phangan Muay Thai and Fitness Gym, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thanks Tess. We hope to see you again in the near future:)

Reviewed 24 February 2014

About one year ago I started to my Muay Thai training in another school on the island. I really liked it right away, but after 10 sessions with this school a friend recommended to check out Chorenrit. From the first trainings session it was clear to me that this is the right place to be! the trainers are very well experienced and give you many details. In the other school I felt like "just another Farang (thats the word for tourists in thai) that just want to have some workout" - I never felt that they really give me all the necessary things you need for a real fight. Very much different in Chorenrit, they have an amazing structure and guide you step by step how to learn the art of Muay Thai.

Usually you start with 15-20 rope slipping, after that some stretching to avoid any injuries. followed by a few rounds of shadow boxing in which you can perfect your combinations and work on your techniques. Usually after that you do a few rounds on the bag and alternately pad work with a trainer. after that clinching or sparing. At the end some strength and stamina exercises (kicking the back 100 times and funny stuff like this) and finish with situps, in between the breaks you also do push ups. Its a great work out and you learn a lot about Muay Thai.

Fits for beginners which are looking for some fun activities as well as people who seriously want to learn how to fight.
And if you dont want to fight, the Gym included is also the best on the island. I've been to other gyms but this one has the best machines and also a very powerful environment in which you get motivated to have a kickass workout :)

1  Thank ooo-O-A-O-ooo

Thank you so much for such a in depth review. It's a real pleasure having you train at the gym.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

On of the best attractions on Koh Phangan is the Chorenrit Gym in Thong Sala. If you want to be active, work out or train Muay Thai during your holiday than I highly recommend a visit at this gym.

Let's have a closer look at what you will find at the gym of Sri and Rob - a friendly and welcoming couple.

[Gym]
You will find equipment to exercise every major muscle group. Do not expect fancy exercise machines for every small minor muscle group of your body. That's what I really enjoy. Simple and efficient training (pull ups, dead lifts, bench press, shoulder press, rows, squads, leg press and sit up variations). The Chorenrit gym is perfect for that training purpose.

Dumbbells from 1 to 40 kg!

The gym has enough fans to cool you down in your breaks. Towels are provided and you can shower after your workout. Lockers are available.

[Muay Thai]
Thailand's most famous sport and one of the toughest martial arts. People with different levels of experience train together in a group which I find very beneficial especially for me as a beginner. The thai trainers and Rob have a good routine to train us stiff and wimpy farangs.
The training is hard, your chins will hurt after kicking bags for the first time but that is part of the process and will make you stronger. At any time I felt good and taken care of. The trainers are supportive, experienced and you can have good fun with them.

The structure of the training when I was there: Warm up (skipping or running) - guided streching - shadow boxing - pad work - bag work - sparring or clinching. If you still have a bit of energy at the end you will do some more exercise like sit ups.

My personal recommendations:
If you can choose go for morning sessions because it won't be so hot.
Bring running shoes and enjoy a warm up run with the group on the beautiful island.

I give Chorenrit a straight 5-star rating.

Thanks for such a great review Julius. I hope you have a safe trip home, we enjoyed having you at the gym.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have been coming for training holidays at Chorenrit for a couple of years now and I keep coming back because of the great people and trainers as well as the continued improvement in my muay thai skills. I came as a complete beginner and now have had 4 fights. Confidence fitness and mental toughness has also been another reward from the training. In the beginning I felt like giving up a couple times but the support that I received at the gym helped me see it through.