“Idyllic location”

Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We spent 8 nights at the Panviman Resort and had a perfect holiday. The service was fantastic and very friendly. The hotel provided transfer from Koh Samui airport to the hotel which went very smoothly and was efficient. We had booked 2 deluxe cottages for our family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children 9-18). The cottages were on a hillside with fantastic views out to sea, they were spacious and had lovely bathrooms with huge picture windows.
Because of the location of the hotel on a hillside, there were some very steep paths to some of the cottages and steep steps to the beach so it may not be suitable for family's with young children but the hotel were happy to drive people up to their cottages at any time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed 25 April 2011

This was a beautiful place to stay, we stayed in a delux cottage and it had a great view of the beach. The room was big and the bathroom had a great view also. However, it is up a big hill, so there is a lot of walking to and from your room each time, but the resort offers a free taxi service to and from your room within the resort if you wish. The staff were really friendly and helpful and made us feel pretty special. I would definately recommend this place to a friend. We went to the full moon party and had no issues in getting there and back on a speed boat. Its not a place to go for singles who want to party, its more of a couple and family friendly resort. The swimming pool is great.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2011

The Panviman Resort appears to have been designed and built by Fred Flintstone after a 48 hour drinking session with Barney Rubble. The resort is on the edge of a cliff which means it is highly unsuitable for young children or anyone who has issues walking up extremely steep hills and steps. Upon arrival we were taken to our room and were immediately hit by the smell of damp which they tried to mask with an oil burner. We asked to change rooms straight away and were moved to a smaller slightly less smelly room. It was at this point I realised I had made a big mistake in booking here. The hotel is old fashioned, shabby and in dire need of a huge re-furbishment. Their website is hugely misleading. The breakfast is mundane, nothing changes and the quality of the food is poor. Don’t touch any of the meats unless you enjoy a good chew. After a couple of days you may well favour a lie in instead! Room service closes at the same time as the restaurant which is my view it totally pointless. The pathways around the hotel are treacherous, the hotel is built into a cliff and there no railings at some points with sheer, 10 metre drops onto rocks. The Fitness centre is by no means a gym it is in fact an outdoor kiddies play area. The pool area is nice but gets no sun after 3pm. They forgot to book our transfer back to Koh Samui which was a blessing in disguise as we booked our own transport for 1100 baht rather than the 2500 baht that the Panviman wanted to charge us. I filled in a customer survey whilst we were staying there and this resulted in us being given a wide berth by most staff. They did not take the time to speak to us about the issues we had raised. I was so disappointed with this hotel and its’ facilities, I would strongly advise against staying at The Panviman Resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lulu2010Leamington
Reviewed 30 January 2011

We stayed for 8 nights and overall had an enjoyable time in this bay. A bit tricky to get there after hours. Figure 45 mins + 1500 BHT from Had Rin (4WD needed as road is under construction!). We did not use their spa. On the positive side: We had a deluxe room which was 100% clean and up to standards. Good matrasses. Nie balkony with stunning view (bring moscito repellent). Nice bathroom. Every day, cleaning staff surprised with a new "animal" on the bed made of towels. On the negative side: own discotheque which is cooled down like a fridge and has no charm, no free wifi internet, rushed average breakfast, overpriced restaurant (better go down to the beach or town), many details within resport appear either worn-out or not yet ready... Concluding: okay but too costly for Thailand compared to what is around for same money.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sascha_Mary_Cologne
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We booked the deluxe pool room villa for 7 nights. We are both well travelled people, and when we walked into our room, both went wow. Our own pool and jacuzzi outside, stunning views, totally secluded. The bed was SO comfy. Food in this place was excellent, but a little pricy for Thailand. We ate in the hotel restaurant 1 night, and had room service 1 night. Both times the food was great. The village is a minute's walk away, and the food there was equally good, and less than half price. Taxis from the village were also far cheaper, but that is to be expected.
The hotel is a little off the beaten track fro the party places of Haad Rin, but if you want somewhere to get away from it all, with the option to party too, then this is definitely the place for you. We loved it and will not stay anywhere else when we go back to Koh Phangang.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank loopylou38
Reviewed 28 August 2010

For professional reasons we have stayed in dozens and dozens of hotels throughout the world, and this was without doubt the best we have ever stayed in.
The rooms are bunched together in blocks of around 10-12 which are distributed subtly around the resort with no major, imposing high rise central building to disrupt the views. The rooms are stunning with an enormous terrace, and ours overlooked the sea view. Amidst the palm trees and other flora, there is a lovely swimming pool which overlooks the sea view, but the hotel also has a private beach area with loungers and bar service. The hotel is situated between two beautiful sandy beeches, so-called 'Little and Big', which are populated by a handful of excellent restaurants and bars boasting brilliant seafood, service and cocktails. Behind the beach is a villiage with more bars, restaurants and other amenities, which has not lost any of its rustic Thai charm despite Koh Phangan being a popular tourist destination.
Every detail at the hotel was perfect and the staff could not be more helpful.
However, there is one major drawback: since the roads on the island are still very under-developed, it is not an insignificant commitment getting from the ports to the resort, and you will endure an hour long journey on some of the bumpiest tracks in Asia. Leaving the port you will find a load of windowless jeepneys and it will cost you around 200 bhat a head to get a ride to the resort. This is not luxurious travel, and you will be squeezed in with plenty of others. If you have spent the past two weeks travelling around Thailand this shouldn't be too much of a culture shock, but for those with kids it might be worth investing in a more expensive means of transport. However, the hotel is geared up for the arrival of dusty tourists and will greet you with hot wet towels and tea.
For those travelling on New Years, as we were, there is also a further catch. As with many hotels in Thailand and other resorts, booking in at New Years effectively carries an additional tax in the form of the compulsory purchase of tickets to the hotel's New Year's Eve party. Since nothing was going to keep us from Full Moon we paid the additional charge which amounted to about £100, but did not attend the dinner. The staff went to great efforts to ensure we knew about this in advance, although not -- I should add -- before we booked it. So be warned, you may have to cough up an extra £100 travelling at this time of year.
For those travelling to Full Moon from this northern tip of the island don't worry: the villiage is geared up for it and there will be plenty of cheap travel to and from the party.
A perfect destination for honeymooners, this is pricey by Thai standards but worth every baht.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in August and overall were disappointed with the experience.
The location in between the 2 Thong pan beaches is fantastic and the views from the rooms are brilliant, unfortunately that is where anything better than average applies to this resort.
Here are a few examples of incidents that detracted from our experience at Panviman.
1. Transfer to hotel. We arranged with Panviman to be picked up from Thong Sala pier. Along with the other hotel guests who'd just arrived on the ferry we walked over to the van at which point the panviman rep asks myself and my wife to confirm our names are on the transfer list (we'd already done this when we first hopped off the boat but anyways) after doing this he tells us to wait whilst he starts telling all other guests to hop in the aircon van. 5 mins later having pretty much told every other guest to hop on he turns around and asks me to check my name is on the list again. For the 3rd time I do this at which point he says the van is full so you'll have to wait. I was pretty peeved at this time as he's basically let everyone else jump in and left myself and my wife and 2 other guests out in the 40 degs for no real reason. He then makes a call and we wait another 10min for another hotel ute to arrive and the 4 of us (who for some unknown reason weren't good enough to ride in the van) pack ourselves in to the ute and make our ways to the resort. Bad start.
2. Room floor boards - we're shown to our room and the view is brilliant. however 3 steps into the room and I'm thinking I might need noise cancelling headphones to stay in this room. The hotel rooms have floating floorboards in them and perhaps due to the temperatures and humidity etc there would appear to be a lot of movement in the boards. The final result is that each step you take makes loud creaking noises that you can hear 2 rooms over. Even rolling over in bed woke me up at night as the creaking was very loud (which is no mean feat as I live next to a main road and can sleep through a hurricane normally!)
3. Food- To say the food options are limited at this resort is probably a tad generous. But I didn't come to Koh Pha Ngan for a culinary experience so that didn't worry me too much. The first night we were there we dined at the hotels Stone beach restaurant down on the beach which has a great location and looked like a pretty smart set up.
After dinner (seafood platter for 2) I was feeling a tad feverish and when I woke up a few hours later and was as sick from food poisoning as I have ever been in my life. I've eaten street food all across SE Asia and had some bad experiences but this was the worst bout of food posoning I'd ever had. The only positive I can think of this experience is that an elderly person or young child weren't served what I'd eaten. Based on how sick I was over the next 48hrs I think a young child or elderly person may have required hospital treatment.
4. Evening visitors in room- Another feature of the room (apart from it's loud groaning and creaking) was that each night we'd come back from dinner there would be a large cockroach waiting in the room for us. The first night I chased the roach with my flip flop but he got away through the big gap between the wall and the skirting boards the rooms have. The following night I killed one and left it next to the bin (thinking housekeeping may notice the thumb sized roach and perhaps spray the room or something). The 3rd night the new roach got away through the cockroach gateway behind the bed. So final tally was me - 1, cockroaches - 2, Panviman resort - 0. Who knows how many of the suckers were woindering in and out during the night while we slept.
5. Persistent Housekeeping- I know housekeeping have a job to do and I like a tidy room as much as the next person. But I found the housekeeping staff at panviman to be a tad overbearing. After the food poisoning episode I was pretty much laid out in bed for 2 days and I'd put the 'do not disturb' sign up on the door. However houskeeping would still ring (twice) to say they needed to make up the room. When i told them I was pretty sick and the room wasn't messy they just said "ok, so we come in an hour then?" I staggered off to the pool to let them make up the room as I couldn't be bothered trying to explain that I was sick etc. I think perhaps ticking the task off their to do list was more important than the guests wish for privacy. The following morning they called at 9am asking if it was ok to make up the room there and then. Things had gotten ridiculous at this point.
6. Transfer back to Samui- As you can probably tell, I'm pretty keen to get out of here at this point. There is a speedboat service that costs a bit extra which can be booked at reception. So we go to reception and ask the young man at the front counter about catching the speedboat back. He didn't really understand what I meant, so I pointed out the speedboat trf sign on the counter. Still no luck, so he went and got another one of the girls from the back whilst he looked at some brochures in the corner which took on great importance all of a sudden (turns out he couldn't speak English-which isn't his fault but what manager would put him out there working on reception at a resort/hotel to begin with?). The girl then explained that there was a minimum 4 persons reqd to get the speedboat happening so we mentioned that we were interested and gave her our room number etc and she said if anyone else was interested she'd let us know. The following day (the day before we were to leave) we checked again re the transfer and the girl tells us there was another couple who were interested (making 4 of us) and they'd been told the same thing as us i.e. minimum of 4 people reqd. When I asked her if she'd told them about us being interested she said no and then asked us to give her all the same details we'd given her the day earlier (i.e. room number, name etc).
In the end we did work out the speedboat transfer (after following up ourselves twice) and the boatride back was brilliant. (I''d advise anyone to spend the extra if you are staying at any resort/hotel on koh pha ngan that offers this service). But the lack of service and the drama involved to make something quite straight forward happen was very frustrating.
Overall - this resort has a great pool area and location which offers brilliant views of the bay but there are far too many negatives to make up for these positives. With some good management and some upgrading of the facilities, this place could compete with the likes of Santihya and Rasananda but at the moment its just an overpriced disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple