“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
España
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The rooms are large, well decorated and the views from the private terrace are spectacular. The attention, treatment and service are very bad, specially in a hotel of its price and category. In the hotel you have to pay for Internet while the rest of the hotels in the area hotels offer internet free to their guests

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
uk
Reviewed 17 September 2011

First of all, get a speed boat across. We got the local ferry across and it was horrendous! (A boat for 400 was totally overloaded, mainly with full moon party seekers) We got the speed boat off the island (£40) and it was heaven in comparison and well worth the comfort and lack of stress.
The Panviman has beautiful gardens and is well set out. A previous poster said it looked like Barney Rubble designed it and it does! But I really liked it. However, for the faint hearted, unfit or ailing it is certainly not the place to be. Walking around the resort was quite a work out, and some of the paths are very steep.
Our room was in a small block with a gorgeous view over the gardens, pools and across to the other side of the island. However, take ear plugs as the walls are paper thin. Also take an eye mask if you like to wake up naturally, as the curtains provide almost no block from the morning light. (I had forgotten mine and woke up at 5am every day and I am no morning person!) The bed was also far too hard for my liking.
The rooms are a tad on the smelly side; I found it was made worse by the oil burners they light after cleaning the rooms. It's a strange smell, faintly sweaty towel like. If you blow the burner straight out it's not too bad. I'd probably take an air freshener or joss sticks to disguise the smell if we went back.
Don't bother with a manicure/pedicure at the Spa as it was appalling.
Breakfasts were not great compared to other hotels, but for us was perfectly adequate as we loved the range of fresh fruit and the omelettes. At this point I think Sunpoet deserves a mention, as he cooked the best omelettes that I ate in Thailand, in a happy and stress free manner.
We tended to eat down the hill in the village behind the hotel in the evenings. The Bamboo Hut was our favourite haunt and was incredibly cheap, as were all the local restaurants (about half the price of Krabi and Khao Lak)
One nice feature of the hotel was the choice between using the pool area or the private beach. Our first few days were marred by the incredibly bad behaviour of a few children, jumping in all the small pools regardless of whether I happened to be in one or not. They were told off by the attendant, to no avail. However, in retrospect I should have complained to the management.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tikusmikus
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 September 2011

We stayed here as part of a large party. The cost was huge so we were expecting 5 star service but what we got was more like 2 star.
The hotel screwed up the booking and refused to take responsibility for it. The reception staff and the manager couldn't have been more indifferent or unhelpful. When pressed to sort it out they feigned incomprehension.
The resort and staff were tired and tried to rort us on every little additional cost they could think of.
We were pleased to leave and will never ever be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Z K
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I had pretty high expectations for this place, being one of the most expensive on the islands. I got married the week before on Samui with my friends and family - the location and accommodation there exceeded any dream I could ever conjure.

My immediate family and I then had a week to spend together at Panviman. We arrived elated and on a high prepared for a nice 5 star resort week of hanging out. When we arrived, the reception was brittle, they didn't seem to be expecting us and were rude from moment dot. It took us nearly 2 hours to check in because they had lost reservations. We were a group of 17 and had dropped a whooping amount of cash (our room alone (for 2) was the best part of £1000). They split our family up across the resort (a good 10-15 minute walk between rooms). The staff were extremely argumentative and insisted that the mix up was not their mistake (despite us having the printed reservation confirmations) and claimed it was an ebooking error. Regardless, I am not used to reservations staff casting blame elsewhere and taking so long to fix what is clearly an almighty screw up. After spending so much collectively, I would have expected a little bit of effort and politeness. I also would not expect them to be so aggressive that member of my family walked out shaking - great start, Panviman.

We would have moved on to the £5 bungalows next door (where my brother stayed and had an amazing time with very pleasant staff), however we were sure the resort would have charged our credit cards whether we stayed or not and what leg would we have to stand on in a dispute in Thailand? They had a pretty big stick to wave at us and they knew it. With a 1 year old and 2 small children sitting in the heat at reception, 2 hours was horrendous. There was a lot of arguing and the BIGGEST comedown from the most amazing holiday ever.

The blandness and grumpiness of the resort pretty much ruined the rest of the week. Many of our party changed their flights to leave early and we were so glad to get out of there and move on. I think, now, that if someone in the family is being lame we will accuse them of being 'panviman'.

Once checked in, we finally made it to our rooms, extra beds at B1500 per night (even for tiny children), B500 for internet, B2500 for some washing. Yep. To be expected for such a highly rated resort. Restaurant was fine - but only served during the day. During the week, we couldn't catch a taxi to save ourselves. Panviman reception did not know who we could call for a taxi and offered to drive us down the hill for B100 per person - literally 3 minute drive (but a hard walk with babies). We couldn't get to the port for our ferry on exit unless we paid B400 per person (insanely expensive compared to taxis, specially with so many of us). No transfers available (weirdly, since many cheap bungalows will transfer you for free).

When they gave me one of their cheap junky ball point pens to fill out the comments slip, they asked me three times to return it at different points. I returned it at the restaurant after my comments slip was complete, but reception ran after me demanding it back. SERIOUSLY?! Its seemed that everything reception did was patronising, gold-digging and unprofessional, soooooo strange for Thailand.

We don't generally travel 5*, we're pretty easy to please and I've never written a negative review before. But what a disappointment...

I mustn't neglect the nice things, because there were one or two.

1. Our room was beautiful, stunning views and clean. Well set out and high spec. It was £1000 pounds though so you'd expect that.

2. The domestic staff were wonderful. Smiley, chatty and always said Hi. They did a lovely job of the rooms everyday and left the towel animals I love so much. I liked to see the domestic staff about the resort, they were truly the jewels in a quarry.

3. Breakfast rocked the house. Loved it.

4. Pool - pretty cool for kids, so long as you keep them away from the infinity edge with a 20 meter drop and no protection.

Not much to counter being perpetually on edge, worrying that Panviman would get grumpy about something else. I wouldn't recommend it, and I would NEVER, EVER go back.

4 Thank Sarah K
COLERAINE; NORTHERN IRELAND
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My wife loved the Panviman. Kids loved the different pools and my daughter thought the milk shakes were "to die for". I loved the views from our apartment overlooking the bay.
+Short walk to local village and restaurants. beautiful location on a headland. Great local beach bars and restaurants a short stroll up the beach. Very friendly locals.
Staff very friendly and good breakfast with plenty of choice.
- I damaged my teeth on a terrible and very expensive steak at the restaurant. My wife could not eat hers. This put us of one of the restaurants but the one on the beach was excellent.

1 Thank william264
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We left Had Rin for Panviman to escape the full moon rave party. A long bumpy taxi ride later we were met by an extremely friendly staff and knew right away we'd made a good decision. This was my fourth time traveling to Koh Phangan and I was exited showing the island of to my girlfriend. We had decided to put a little more money in for our FMP getaway and had booked a cliffside bungalow.
Two weeks before, Koh Phangan had been hit by a pretty severe flood and I imagine a lot of travelers had canceled their reservations all over Thailand. Therefore business was a bit slow, which was bad for panviman, but good for us not having to fight for poolside sunbeds.
Next to the resort there was a small village leading up to Thong Nai Pan Noy beach. Although I'd recommend seeing more of Koh Phangan when visiting, one could actually stay at this one place the entire time also, having luxury Panviman on one side, traditional thai low-cost village-style on the other.
The cliffside bungalow had a private tub on the roof with sunbeds and amazing views. The staff proved Thailand to be the land of smiles. I should point out that we came to Thailand wanting to relax and do as little sightseeing as possible. We've had a lot of big city vacations running around photographing all the attractions. This time we wanted to nothing at all at a beautiful place. We recommend Panviman for like minded couples.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KjetilH
Swakopmund, Namibia
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We booked because we thought this was a 5star hotel as the rating says. IT IS NOT!! This outdated hotel seems to be on the verge of collapse. The personell seems to feel the same way. The pool does not get cleaned they just sit and watch the guests, the breakfats buffet we only dared to eat fresh made scrambled eggs and toast because everyhing else was on platse with banana flies all over, it is dirty, tdhere are things everywhere, plastc bags, bottles, leaves, i can go on forever. The poolstaff is checking out the female guests in a very unpleasant way and whena bit oversized woman came down to the pool they laughed out loud at her. I have full understanding if personell do not speak perfect or very good english. But in tne brakfast area they did not understand coffee... In the reception area they did not understand seightseeing, or tour or even that we wanted to know if maybe a taxi could drive us round th island. We are used travellera and we travel well. We have no problem with a lower standard as long as you know it when you book. But when the hotel buys in a good photographer, sells itself like six sences and them it is a outdated 80's resort it gets us furoius. Plus for kids is that they have a fun pool for kids since it is in many levels. Negative is that it is bloody dangerous since the main pool ends in a 4-5 meter waterfall which makes a current tomards the fall. A child with floats or if someone jumps in next to a child can make the child go over. Goves me nightmares. My advice if you want a 5star with helpful serviceminded personell, go to rasanda. Pay a bit more per night but even it out by eating at local restaurants at the beach. Also have them pixk you up with htier private speedboat. We travel with a 6 year old and a 10 months baby and we could not have done it without the rasanda help. We booked panviman since rasanda was full and then another 3 nights at rasanda and when we xcalled panviman to book their speedboat to pick us up they said it was on repair so the rasanda was kind enough to let us go with theirs. My suspicion is that panviman boat will be gone on reparation for a very long while judging from the looks of the resort.
The resort with kids is ok for us, the oldest runs herself and the baby is ok to carry and it gives good exercise if you are after that. But it is up on a hill so be aware of that.

The island is beautiful. Even breathtking. We stayed in a suite with a view and the view is very nicebut that is it. The beds are like stone and housekeeping- the only way we could see theyhad been ther was that the bed was made.

The resort feels dirty, not maintenanced, ants and banana flies everywhere. I can go on forever. Oh, the internet is on charge. Very 2011.

The other comments that they dont wan to stay in e beacharea-there is ko beachare to talk about. It is so relaxing and calm and beautiful. I have not even seen a salesman on the beach so to stay there is no problem. Sometimes i feel these commenrs here are eier from people that are used to stay in tents or just come from a full moon party. I think you have to judge the hotel not from your own preferences but from what rating the hotel has. Tjis hotel has a 5star rating but it is a 3 on a sunny day. If you know that and want that then it is probably an amasing hotel.

Room Tip: Stayed in suite and the view was nice over ocean.