“Mixed feelings”

Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan
Ranked #3 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights- it was my luxury budget blowout- i've never stayed in a hotel like it!

OK, good points-

1. The room. I had a Deluxe cottage which was just gorgeous! utter luxury!

2. The pool was spectacular.

3. the spa. Although I had free massages with my package, and I don't think I would pay the price for a massage there when they're a quarter of the price in the town.

4. The beach itself, though it's not a feature of the hotel but the area. Plus the remoteness.

5. The hotel (not the restaurant) staff were very friendly. I said sawadee to all the gardeners and maids and they always smiled.

6. Breakfast. AMAZING!

The Bad-

1. The food- I had three meals in a row there and had food poisoning. There was a dead maggot in my yellow curry- they also don't have much veggie choice.

2. Any other five star resort who had given you food poisoning would put you up for free until you were well- we were charged for cleaning and our taxi out of the resort. They put out 2 puking people and smiled as we handed over our money.

3. I hate to say this, but the amount of children. I was paying a fortune to have a luxury retreat with my boyfriend (literally, a week of wages to pay for each night) and every time I tried to go to the pool it was full of screaming children- not exactly a quiet paradise.

4. Minibar prices- they're taking the piss.

5. Taxi prices- as above.

6. The way that vat and service are added after you have ordered your drinks- all high end resorts seem to do that though.

7. Distance to my room. I wasn't offered any of these nice golf caddy rides about like everyone else. There was a slight air of snobbery about some of the other guests, as if I wasn't quite of the standard of person they expected to be there- fair enough, I'm a scruffy student.

Overall, I'd stay again at a non school holiday time and not eat dinner or lunch in the restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed 20 June 2008

This hotel and resort is absolute paradise. The pool is one of those infinity pool that looks like it flows into the sea. So Beautiful. The staff were so friendly and so helpful. On a few occasions I used the spa and it was amazing. You could not create the atmosphere to was so tranquil. To hear the sea, the birds and all that fresh air was perfect. Little golf buggies would pick me up and reception and drop me of at the spa on the hill top and then pick me up and back to the pool. Food was delicious. I would definitely return. We booked our hotel when we arrived (low season) and it seems there are better deals if you contact the hotel directly. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BusyIreland
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Panviman resort was everything we could have hoped for and more. We spent 7 nights there in May and were left feeling totally depressed at the thought of leaving this amazing place.
The train from bangkok to Suratthani and then boat trip to the island was an amazing way of arriving at the island and after a bumpy taxi ride, we were welcomed so warmly by the resort staff with a cool towel and cold drink. Perfect. We upgraded our room to a deluxe cottage which was the most amazing hotel room i have ever had. Lovely carved bed infront of three walls of floor to ceiling glass, looking over the bay of Thong Nai Pan. An amazing place to watch the lightening at night. The bath tub on the roof was left unused but mainly because my partner wasnt too sure of the bats which would keep us company at night! Plus, the internal bathroom was beautifully furnished and more than luxury!
The pool at the resort is beautiful and always well maintained with excellent staff. The sun moves behing the hotel at about 1500 in May time but a short walk down to the beautiful private beach made it easy to find the last rays of the day. All in all, the most amazing situation to be able to sit and relax and do nothing.
The food at the resort is very nice and extremely reasonable, if a little lacking in choice. The menu for both eatinf places is the same all day long which was a little disappointing. However, i would strongly recommend making the walk down to the beach to sit at any of the eating places down there. The food was wonderful traditional thai food ( as well as western) with a great cocktail menu and friendly staff. Eating Pad Thai, looking at the stars with the occasional lantern drifting sky wards will remain the most magical memory of the entire trip.
It is true that comapred to some 5* hotels, this one may appear a little rustic. However, this is its beauty. The island itself is a relativgly untouched paradise and the Panviman respects this perfectly. The rooms however, even the standard ones, are beautiful and well deserving of a 5 star rating in my opinion.
When leaving, the hotel were very helpful in organising their new speed boat to take us to Koh samui aiport for something like 80 pounds in total. Out flight was the last one out of the aiport so were very keen to stay at the resort for as long as possible. The hotel orgnanised the boat for us from the beach at 1900 so we had the most amazing sunset boat ride, speeding along the waves......a brilliant way of leaving paradise if funds allow.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Petersutton01
Reviewed 24 May 2008

We stayed at the Panviman for 4 beautiful nights in April 2008 at the end of our honeymoon. The Thong Nai Pan Noi beach is just gorgeous- perfect in fact. Crescent shape, soft sand, clear and warm water. Exactly what you think of when you think paradise. The Panviman sits up on the hill overlooking the beach and is superb. The accommodation is spread across the hill and tucked among trees. The pool is beautiful, with a cascade waterfall effect over the edge of the hill, overlooking the ocean. The food is good, breakfast is a huge spread (is a somewhat weird combo, with asparagus soup and other funny offerings, i guess they are trying to cover all bases. Try the banana pancakes though, yum!).

The Panviman has lounge chairs down on the beach, and also a bar/ cafe which serves good food. We hired a kayak from the hotel down on the beach and paddled round to the next beach, which was good fun and good exercise (and then we didn't feel guilty lying around on the beach the rest of the day!).

The village behind the beach is worth checking out- you can get your clothes cleaned for 1/4 of the price the resort will charge, and you can get supplies. There is also a nice restaurant (called Again and Again) which serves excellent Thai food. We also had 2 great meals at the BanPanburi restaurant on the beach, the best food we ate and great cocktails.

The hotel has a shuttle bus to the port/ ferry area every day at 10. When we arrived from Koh Samui we luckily met two travellers who had arranged a pick up from the hotel - I would reccommend organising this if you can (we hadn't as we booked at the last minute).

The only downside was that the room we got, room 106, while a nice room, didn't have much of a view and also had a resident gecko living in the roof which made a racket all night, very bizarre! The Panviman is expensive by Australian standards but we got a great deal on Wotif (25% less than normal prices) and still cheap by Western standards- we paid approx $140 AUD per night.

I hope we get to go back again one day...

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MelbourneScorpio
Reviewed 26 March 2008

After spending some time in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui I can honestly say that Koh Phangan and the Panwiman Resort left me with my most positive impression of Thai hotels and service.

The resort is tucked away in the island, in the north east corner. I expected that we would be confined to eating in the pricey hotel restaurants but to my surprise there were nice bars and restaurants with good food at a good price dotted along the beach beside the hotel.

The breakfast buffet is good and served in a circular room with a panoramic view over the ocean.

The resort is like a little "Flintstone village" - little stone roofed villas tucked away into the hills. The standard rooms we heard were good but it's worth spending a little more to stay in a Deluxe Cottage. It can be a bit of a walk to your room as the resort is spread out so you can stop by the reception and hitch a ride with a golf cart.

The swimming pool is lovely and never got crowded even though the hotel was full during our stay. If you want to grab a lounger on the beach, you need to be early as they are snapped up early in the morning.

Service was better than experienced in many of the other Thai hotels. There are supposedly giant monitor lizards in the neighborhood but we didn't see any during our stay.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KerryBravo
Reviewed 24 February 2008

Stayed at the Panviman for the first 4 nights of our honeymoon. The hotel was great and we had a fantastic time there. It's located right between the two beaches but only has direct access to Thong Nai Pan Noi - have to walk the road to get to Yai.

Service is excellent. This is definately a higher end hotel on the island. Great views (particularly from the breakfast restaurant), food was terrific (maybe pricey) and the pool is lovely. They provide lounge chairs and towels on the beach which is a plus.

We definately enjoyed Ko Phangan and the Panviman.

Only tip is that if you take the public ferry from Ko Samui - the ride to the resort should only cost about B500-700. It's a 45 minute ride across a very bumpy dirt road (we thought it was fun). The songthaews will try to charge much more if they think they can! Not sure if the resort can arrange for transport. Worth inquiring about with them though.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanning_Canucks
Reviewed 21 January 2008

What an amazing place, pure paradise basically sums it up.
The resort is out of this world, beautifully done up and the rooms were spectacular. We booked a deluxe cottage and requested a sea view, we were not disappointed. The rooms were stunning and had the most amazing view. We had a bath on our balcony which we made good use of!

The staff are so friendly and will do anything to help you whatever your request. The food at the resort is a little bit costly and to be honest not that great but if you walk for a few minutes down to the beach there are a few bars and restaurants there which are cheaper and the food is fab! We ate at the Beach Bar pretty much every day, they also have a happy hour from 5pm - 7pm and 10pm - 12am where all cocktails are about £1.50.

There is not alot to do at the resort, we stayed for 5 days which was perfect and we will definately be going back to the resort next year.

Ok now for the less positive parts; the drive to the resort is awful, it takes 45 mins and you are literally driving up a mountain which has no proper roads, it was not great but it is worth it when you do get up to Panviman. If you can afford it what i would suggest is to book the hotels speedboat which is a fairly new service. One way from Samui direct to the resort costs £100, it takes about 45 mins door to door and cuts out that drive and also the sea ferry which only goes twice a day i believe. Also at the pier (cant remember the name!) there is a new speedboat service which leaves every hour on the hour and costs about £7.50 per person but only takes 10 mins to get from Samui to Koh Phangan, again this would be worth booking instead of the ferry which although only takes 30 mins goes only a few times each day.

This hotel might not be great for those who find it hard to walk very far, it is on a mountain and there are pretty steep steps to get to and from the beach, also all accommodation is on a mountain to expect steep paths! Certainly kept us fit!

I hope you find this review helpful :o)

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple