“Nice hotel - not secure, though”

Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Stuttgart, Germany
“Nice hotel - not secure, though”
Reviewed 31 July 2008

We did not mind the bumpy ride up the mountain to get to this resort, after reading the reviews I thought everything people said was very accurate. I was a little disappointed that the hotel refused to collect us in one of their 2 vehicles, when I tried to set it up 6hrs in advance.....it was no bother to get a taxi which cost $25

The part missing from other reviews is the security aspect. We had clothes and a mobile phone stolen from the room and when we reported it to the manager she told us that this happens during full moon party!!! Apparently many people do not notice until the next morning and blame the theft on party goers at a beach some 10km away! Since we reported the theft at lunch time, I found this excuse to be a very poor one not to mention that they were clearly aware of the problem! Both of us had selected clothes for the evening and placed them at the top of our cases, hence why we noticed so suddenly upon returning. We had gone to the pool at 10am and returned at just midday, and since the room had been cleaned during that time one can only point the finger in one direction! The manager asked why we did not put our things in the safe, to which I replied that the safe was not big enough for 2 suitcases!!!

The hotel rooms also have an inadequate patio door wooden latch-lock that when you try to push the doors apart the lock simply opens! Although it would have been difficult to access the patio without being seen during the day, following this event I used a belt to secure the doors shut!

The overall quality of the hotel was good and service was exceptional from the wait staff.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — security
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
travelchic79
Reviewed 29 July 2008

Can't believe anyone would write a bad review on this place:

The infinity pool and the views from the restaurants are incredible!

We were upgraded to a superior cottage where we had a huge room, balcony and bathtub with views of the bay! It has it's own private beach, the staff are very friendly (they are in most places in Thailand) and efficient.

If you book a package directly with them - we booked 'the dream package' you get a great deal: Breakfast every day, a set lunch, a candle lit dinner (with wine), a thai massage and kayaking.

If you're looking to party until the small hours this isn't for you - head to the party capital of Koh Phangan, Haad Rin. The main beach here is quiet with a couple of good restaurants and a viillage party on Mondays but that's about it.

However, If you want to get away from it all for a few days, take in some spectacular views, take a dip in an infinity pool, chill out in a beach bar, then look no further.

Sure, there are probably more spectacular places to go in Thailand - but not in this price range.

The only thing I can fault about this place is the walk way between the private beach and main beach - well more a couple of tree trunks than a walk way! (think Dirty Dancing). I can only deduce that this is to keep people in the resort (the restaurant nearby is very popular). It's fine at low tide in the daytime but not so much fun (as we discovered) after a few drinks on the way home - that is, unless you're the one watching others have a go whilst sipping a cocktail in the beach restaurant!

• Liked — the infinity pool and views
  • Disliked — walk way to main beach
Hawkes Bay
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We booked this resort off recommendations from Trip Advisor but were very disappointed. This was the worst place we stayed in Thailand and left after one night. The only thing going for this resort it is the pool area, but you are not allow to swim after 8pm. The room was dated and the furniture well worn and our room smelt musty. However the worst problem was the shower which had no pressure just a trickle and was cold! We complained about the shower as my wife had to abort her shower due to lack of pressure and the cold. While she stood in her bath robe, three staff members came to fix the shower, to no avail. We were not offered use of another shower, so we had to skip showering for the night. The beach was okay, although the water a little green and lots of mosquitoes around, especially where the deck stairs are posited. Overall for $160NZ a night this place was very sub-standard! I would not stay here again!

• Liked — The pool although it closes at 8pm
  • Disliked — Cold non existent shower, unfriendly staff, musty old rooms!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lionsHawkesBay
chicago
Reviewed 20 July 2008

We stayed here at the end of our trip through Southeast Asia and really enjoyed a few days of rest. Nothing much to do there, but enjoy the beach. We splurged on room and had a beautiful suite.
It was sort of built into the cliff. Very comfortable and pretty. There was also an outside bathtub which we enjoyed.

• Liked — Beach and beautiful room over cliffs
  • Disliked — It's a little bit remore.
  • Stayed February 2005, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights- it was my luxury budget blowout- i've never stayed in a hotel like it!

OK, good points-

1. The room. I had a Deluxe cottage which was just gorgeous! utter luxury!

2. The pool was spectacular.

3. the spa. Although I had free massages with my package, and I don't think I would pay the price for a massage there when they're a quarter of the price in the town.

4. The beach itself, though it's not a feature of the hotel but the area. Plus the remoteness.

5. The hotel (not the restaurant) staff were very friendly. I said sawadee to all the gardeners and maids and they always smiled.

6. Breakfast. AMAZING!

The Bad-

1. The food- I had three meals in a row there and had food poisoning. There was a dead maggot in my yellow curry- they also don't have much veggie choice.

2. Any other five star resort who had given you food poisoning would put you up for free until you were well- we were charged for cleaning and our taxi out of the resort. They put out 2 puking people and smiled as we handed over our money.

3. I hate to say this, but the amount of children. I was paying a fortune to have a luxury retreat with my boyfriend (literally, a week of wages to pay for each night) and every time I tried to go to the pool it was full of screaming children- not exactly a quiet paradise.

4. Minibar prices- they're taking the piss.

5. Taxi prices- as above.

6. The way that vat and service are added after you have ordered your drinks- all high end resorts seem to do that though.

7. Distance to my room. I wasn't offered any of these nice golf caddy rides about like everyone else. There was a slight air of snobbery about some of the other guests, as if I wasn't quite of the standard of person they expected to be there- fair enough, I'm a scruffy student.

Overall, I'd stay again at a non school holiday time and not eat dinner or lunch in the restaurants.

• Liked — room
Ireland
Reviewed 20 June 2008

This hotel and resort is absolute paradise. The pool is one of those infinity pool that looks like it flows into the sea. So Beautiful. The staff were so friendly and so helpful. On a few occasions I used the spa and it was amazing. You could not create the atmosphere to was so tranquil. To hear the sea, the birds and all that fresh air was perfect. Little golf buggies would pick me up and reception and drop me of at the spa on the hill top and then pick me up and back to the pool. Food was delicious. I would definitely return. We booked our hotel when we arrived (low season) and it seems there are better deals if you contact the hotel directly. Enjoy!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Length of our stay was too short
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BusyIreland
London
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Panviman resort was everything we could have hoped for and more. We spent 7 nights there in May and were left feeling totally depressed at the thought of leaving this amazing place.
The train from bangkok to Suratthani and then boat trip to the island was an amazing way of arriving at the island and after a bumpy taxi ride, we were welcomed so warmly by the resort staff with a cool towel and cold drink. Perfect. We upgraded our room to a deluxe cottage which was the most amazing hotel room i have ever had. Lovely carved bed infront of three walls of floor to ceiling glass, looking over the bay of Thong Nai Pan. An amazing place to watch the lightening at night. The bath tub on the roof was left unused but mainly because my partner wasnt too sure of the bats which would keep us company at night! Plus, the internal bathroom was beautifully furnished and more than luxury!
The pool at the resort is beautiful and always well maintained with excellent staff. The sun moves behing the hotel at about 1500 in May time but a short walk down to the beautiful private beach made it easy to find the last rays of the day. All in all, the most amazing situation to be able to sit and relax and do nothing.
The food at the resort is very nice and extremely reasonable, if a little lacking in choice. The menu for both eatinf places is the same all day long which was a little disappointing. However, i would strongly recommend making the walk down to the beach to sit at any of the eating places down there. The food was wonderful traditional thai food ( as well as western) with a great cocktail menu and friendly staff. Eating Pad Thai, looking at the stars with the occasional lantern drifting sky wards will remain the most magical memory of the entire trip.
It is true that comapred to some 5* hotels, this one may appear a little rustic. However, this is its beauty. The island itself is a relativgly untouched paradise and the Panviman respects this perfectly. The rooms however, even the standard ones, are beautiful and well deserving of a 5 star rating in my opinion.
When leaving, the hotel were very helpful in organising their new speed boat to take us to Koh samui aiport for something like 80 pounds in total. Out flight was the last one out of the aiport so were very keen to stay at the resort for as long as possible. The hotel orgnanised the boat for us from the beach at 1900 so we had the most amazing sunset boat ride, speeding along the waves......a brilliant way of leaving paradise if funds allow.

Stayed May 2008