Arrived today and feel quite disappointed. I have definitely come with the wrong expectations. I am lucky to have staying in some fabulous hotels in Asia - Anantara and Banyan Tree places among these. I think I should have stuck with what I knew!
We booked Panviman when our plans to stay in Tioman at Japamala went pear shape when Berjaya Air said they would cease flying there and we didn't fancy a long road trip. Panviman was a similar price and seemed to be on a similar get away from it all island. Most booking websites graded it 4* or 5*, although my work wholesaler grades it 3* and I should have trusted that!
We booked the Deluxe Cottage as we liked the look of the amenities that would give us. In fairness the view from our room (6309) is stunning and hopefully will make up for the many shortcomings which so far are: food very disappointing (ordered a Nicoise Salad for Lunch and won't do that again - basic just isn't the right word), there is construction going on around the resort which we hadn't been told about, the private section of the beach is very pokey, there was a slightly funky damp smell on entering the room but I am hoping that is just a herbal aroma I'm not familiar with and I'll get used to that!
The staff don't have much finesse but seem pleasant - on arrival I said I was unhappy that our cottage didn't have one of the advertised outdoor tubs and I was given the opportunity to move rooms later in our stay (which I declined as we want to chill out and not have the upheaval) and we have been given a free massage as an apology which was a nice gesture.
The speedboat transfer from Koh Samui was fun, but then I am sure the same would apply with many of the islands other hotel speedboats.
All in all I wish I had paid the extra to stay at the Anantara which is annoyingly within sight of the the Panviman beach so it will be a permanent reminder of what would have been a wiser booking!
I would say this resort would be impressive to the back packer crowd who want to trade up for a bit but to a seasoned traveller used to luxury resorts it isn't the place for you - go for the Anantara or Kupu Kupu Koh Phangnan instead.
Luckily our friends seem to like it otherwise if I hadn't been on a non refundable rate I would be wanting to check out and find somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Resort with 94 rooms, 8 categories, 3 restaurants, 2 bars and room service, infinity view swimming pool, private beach, kayaking and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan Hotel Koh Phangan
- Panviman Hotel Ko Phangan
- Panviman Resort Ko Phangan