“Get the right room and it's great”

Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan
Ranked #5 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Get the right room and it's great”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is a tricky place to review. When we first arrived we were quite disappointed with our Deluxe Bungalows, which despite delivering spectacular views high across the cove, were very tired and old in style (and smell).

However, after we raised our disappointment and an additional incident in the pool area my partner complained to the manager (something you should always do if you're unhappy because they can't do anything about it if you keep it to yourself!). She tried to placate him with a food and beverage discount and we decided "Oh well. We'll just sleep here anyway and spend our days and nights out and about.".

Then we got a lovely surprise in the shape of an upgrade to a pool suite.

Wow. It's like we're in a different resort entirely. I can only assume these are new as the design style is much more contemporary and fresh. The pool is amazing. I've stayed in pool villas before which tend to have a small 'plunge pool', but this is something else! A huge jacuzzi linked into a larger swimming pool which opens out onto a view of the bay that you could stare at all day.

Today is our first day staying in the pool villa and we just don't want to leave. It's incredible that such different standards of accommodation exist here. I would be interested to know the plans for this place and hope they include a big refurbishment of the existing rooms, as well as whatever is being built over at the back of the property.

Other stuff. The beach in front is small but has never felt crowded. The chap looking after the bar brings down drinks menus (extra) and the odd chilled towel (desperately welcome!).

The pool is well designed across a few levels running down the hill which makes it feel like there's a place for everyone. This was where we encountered the 'issue' which basically involved some kids running amok, leaping from pool to pool, dismantling the safety rings to play with and throwing around balls with no care of where they may land. I understand that it it is not the resort's responsibility to entertain or 'nanny' kids staying in this resort, but they should consider the impact on their trade this may result in. Not to mention the potential ramifications of an injured child, after all the parents may not have been interested in controlling their kids, but they would certainly sue if one of them fell and hurt themselves.

Of course, this is all coloured by my love of peace and tranquility!

Food-wise, the breakfast is a simple buffet, but nice enough to set you up for the day and the staff couldn't be more welcoming! We ate at the beach barbecue restaurant last night and I enjoyed that thoroughly - accompanied by a couple of wonderful singers who performed a mixture of contemporary and classic songs, with great voices and style. (Afterwards we went for drinks at the Beach Club at Buru Rasa and their singers were like poor karaoke contestants by comparison!).

As this is quite a large resort spread up and down the hillside, they have laid on transport which can be called on at any time to ferry you around (especially when it's dark - as opposed to my being too lazy to climb the hills!). We were even walking through the local village when one of the vans drove past, recognised us and asked if we wanted a lift! This is a very good service. Although not good for my expanding waistline!

I think that overall I would say if you are looking for a place to flop the deluxe cottages are an adequate option, but if you enjoy your own space, then the pool villas are a must.

If the resort keeps refurbishing and renewing it's old rooms it will be fantastic.

(Sorry for the mixed review, but it really does feel like we're in a different resort than we were yesterday!)

Room Tip: Avoid the deluxe cottages and upgrade to a pool suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Takeiteasygm, General Manager at Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Ian G,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were really glad that you had enjoyed your stay overall, despite some downturns.
On the downside, we were sorry to hear that our “Deluxe Cottages” weren’t as good as expected; however, we were glad that you enjoyed staying in the “Pool Villas”.

Please be ensured that we intend to maintain our services and natural surroundings to top-level. We would do anything make our customers' stay a wonderful and memorable one.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay, and promise to provide you with the best service on your next visit!

Jesada Bhiromsiri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 August 2014

My wife and i along with 2 other couples have recently returned from Thailand and our stay at Panviman resort. I am always amused by fellow travellers negative comments about the Panviman resort. They must of been staying at a different Panviman to everyone else!. All six of our travelling group agreed that this was one of if not the best resort they had ever stayed in. First of all the stunning location and views along with the very friendly staff were beyond our expectations.We found the food prices, and accomodation awesome and have certainly told the rest of our friends and family if they ever get the chance to visit this magical resort do not think twice, grab the chance with both hands.All the staff from the pool boys right up to the general manager go out of their way to accomodate your wishes. So everyone please do not pay attention to any negative comments regarding the Panviman , take it from me ,you can count yourself lucky to say you have holidayed at the Panviman. It is awesome

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 284Kiwis
Dear 284Kiwis,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were absolutely delighted to hear that Panviman was one of the best resorts you had ever stayed in! Moreover, we were really happy that you found our location stunning, and our staff friendly.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay, and even recommending our resort to other online travellers. We certainly promise to provide you with the best service on your next visit!

thedestinationlounge
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Arrived today and feel quite disappointed. I have definitely come with the wrong expectations. I am lucky to have staying in some fabulous hotels in Asia - Anantara and Banyan Tree places among these. I think I should have stuck with what I knew!

We booked Panviman when our plans to stay in Tioman at Japamala went pear shape when Berjaya Air said they would cease flying there and we didn't fancy a long road trip. Panviman was a similar price and seemed to be on a similar get away from it all island. Most booking websites graded it 4* or 5*, although my work wholesaler grades it 3* and I should have trusted that!

We booked the Deluxe Cottage as we liked the look of the amenities that would give us. In fairness the view from our room (6309) is stunning and hopefully will make up for the many shortcomings which so far are: food very disappointing (ordered a Nicoise Salad for Lunch and won't do that again - basic just isn't the right word), there is construction going on around the resort which we hadn't been told about, the private section of the beach is very pokey, there was a slightly funky damp smell on entering the room but I am hoping that is just a herbal aroma I'm not familiar with and I'll get used to that!

The staff don't have much finesse but seem pleasant - on arrival I said I was unhappy that our cottage didn't have one of the advertised outdoor tubs and I was given the opportunity to move rooms later in our stay (which I declined as we want to chill out and not have the upheaval) and we have been given a free massage as an apology which was a nice gesture.

The speedboat transfer from Koh Samui was fun, but then I am sure the same would apply with many of the islands other hotel speedboats.

All in all I wish I had paid the extra to stay at the Anantara which is annoyingly within sight of the the Panviman beach so it will be a permanent reminder of what would have been a wiser booking!

I would say this resort would be impressive to the back packer crowd who want to trade up for a bit but to a seasoned traveller used to luxury resorts it isn't the place for you - go for the Anantara or Kupu Kupu Koh Phangnan instead.

Luckily our friends seem to like it otherwise if I hadn't been on a non refundable rate I would be wanting to check out and find somewhere else.

Room Tip: Views are fab from 6309
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Takeiteasygm, General Manager at Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear thedestinationlounge,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were happy that you liked our view from your deluxe cottage, and that you had the opportunity for the free massage.

On the other hand, we were sorry to hear that there was no outdoor tubs, please be reminded that every rooms is different and is unique in its own way.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We spent one week in this resort. Everything was fine: rooms, breakfast, garden, pools and staff.
We came there with our kids, wanted to use side-by-side. For the first night it was not possible, but but the next night we were able to move. The staff was very friendly, everyone of them. The pools are amazing. Many small pools like a cascade ending in a big infinity pool. Breakfast buffet was great. We loved it! Many stairs to the beach and in the hotel area, very clean everywhere.
The beach nearby is ok, free loungers and handkerchiefs, the staff offers you cool towels.
It's a small and calm beach with 2-3 additional small resorts and small shops / restaurants in the back.
The water had no clear view. No snorkeling possible, you must book tours.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jerome M
Takeiteasygm, General Manager at Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Jerome M,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were wholly pleased to hear that everything was fine in every aspects; such as, rooms, breakfast, garden, pools, and our staff.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay, and we promise to provide you with the best service on your next visit!

limerick
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just arrived to this fabulous resort. We were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe suite over looking the beach. Amazing views the room is beautiful so spacious. Staff are so friendly looking forward to trying the seafood bbq on stone beach later

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fidoLimerick
Takeiteasygm, General Manager at Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear fidoLimerick,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were absolutely gratified to hear that our resort was fabulous, and was really happy to hear that you received a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe suite. Furthermore, we were extremely content to hear that our room provided an amazing view, and that our staff was really friendly.

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Panivman is just spectacular. We stayed in a pool villa and it was heaven. The service is exceptional, all staff members very friendly and helpful. We had a romantic dinner on the beach and the staff made the night magical.
The only downfall was the food is ordinary, great views at the restaurants but expensive and not very tasty.
Awesome place to relax, unwind and spoil yourself
We would come back for sure, just eat elsewhere

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank DianA J
Dear DianA J,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were wholly delighted to hear that Panviman was spectacular, and that you thought our pool villa was like heaven. Moreover, we were pleased to hear that our service was exceptional, and the staff made your night magical!

On the other hand, we regret to hear that the food was ordinary, and a little pricy.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay, and is extremely glad to hear that you will be returning in the future. We promise to provide you with the best service on your next visit!

Sydney
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Panviman with my family of four in a family cottage. The resort is absolutely gorgeous with views of two beaches and bays from most areas of the resort. The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and our two kids (aged 9 & 6) had the best time here everyday. Staff were exceptional, friendly and professional the whole time. The resort is set high up on onethe beach so there are many steps and hilly climbs around the resort. This was not a problem for us however if you had any mobility issues it may not be the place for you. There is a complimentary tuk tuk to the beach and village. There are areas of the resort, in particular in the rooms, that were really tired and needed a bit of repair and a refresh. This would enhance the resort further. The food was ok but there are better options in the village. The only other downside is smoking is permitted around the pool area which can make for a very unpleasant environment at times. My in-laws from England were also staying in a delux room which was gorgeous and the view from their balcony amazing. It was in better repair than the family cottage which we stayed in. I would highly recommend this resort and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kingnomore
Dear Kingnomore,

Firstly, let me thank you for the time spent on writing this review, we really appreciated it. We were entirely happy to hear that our resort was absolutely gorgeous, with views of the two beaches and bays from most areas of our resort. Furthermore, we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed our swimming pool area, and that our staff were exceptional and professional at all times.

On the downside, we were sorry to hear smoking near the pool has interrupted your stay, and that the family cottage needs small reparation.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing us for our stay, even highly recommending our resort, and is extremely glad to hear that you will be returning in the future. We promise to provide you with the best service on your next visit!