“Problem at check in... This was not the room I booked...”
Review of Salad Beach Resort

Salad Beach Resort
Ranked #34 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Istanbul
“Problem at check in... This was not the room I booked...”
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

I have booked a superior room at Salad Beach Resort for 2 days. According to the web page of the agency, my room should have been 38 sq m, had refrigerator, in room safe and balcony. But, the hotel gave me a room which is only around 20 sq m and hasn't got a refrigerator, in room safe and balcony. I rejected to stay at this room, but hotel told me they're full and there's nothing to do. Actually they didn't try to solve this problem, especially the girl who told me that she's the manager. Since they didn't do anything I have contacted with the agency, then hotel promised me to upgrade me to a bungalow for the next day. Then they brought a refrigerator and in room safe to that small and very dark room. Hotel has another room types which were not seen at agencies' web pages. Hotel confirmed this as well. So, you may be careful about this issue, if you stay at this hotel, compare the given room to the room you have booked. Since I have such a problem at check I have booked a superior room at Salad Beach Resort for 2 days. According to the web page of the agency, my room should have been 38 sq m, had refrigerator, in room safe and balcony. But, the hotel gave me a room which is only around 20 sq m and hasn't got a refrigerator, in room safe and balcony. I rejected to stay at this room, but hotel told me they're full and there's nothing to do. I have contacted with the agency, then hotel promised me to upgrade a bungalow for the next day. Then they brought a refrigerator and in room safe to that small and very dark room. As far as I understand, hotel has another room types which were not seen at agency's web pages. So, you may be careful about this issue, if you stay at this hotel, compare the given room to the room you have booked. The resort is nice, it has a beautiful garden and it's located at beautiful Salad Beach. Tides bring the reef to surface and unfortunately it's impossible to swim at this beach, but it's relaxing. The food at restaurant was average, so I tried another ones, then I realized Salad Beach hasn't got a very good restaurant (or I couln't find). Staff is average too, only a few of them really tried to help me when I was given a room which is far far different than I booked. I didn't like my those 2 days I had at resort, but, the resort is nice, it has a beautiful garden and it's located at beautiful Salad Beach. Tides bring the reef to surface and unfortunately it's impossible to swim at this beach, but it's relaxing. The food at restaurant was average, staff is average too, only a few of them really tried to help me when I was given a room which is far far different than I booked.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bangay

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

my girlfirend and I planned to stay there for 6 nights with another couple. in the end, we could only stay there for 4 nights, because my girlfriend got infected with dengue fever and we had to move to a hospital on Ko Samui island. As I asked at reception, if we would get some money back, they said, that it wasn't possible due to our booking through agoda.com. After I wrote quiet a long email again, the answer was only one sentence (without any regards or "get better wishes"), that they have to follow the internal guideline with no refunds for agoda bookings. After we have left, we got informed by our friends, who still stayed there, that there were already new clients, who just arrived, in our room a few hours later.
Our superior room in the mainbuilding was ok and the resort itself as well, but in our point of view overpriced. We expectet some more comfort for that money! The hotel seems to be getting on in the years. The people at the restaurant were friendly compared to the ones at reception. The beach was ok, but the water is always very low and hard to swim. (for families with small children it's great, I can imagine). There are many opportunities to buy food, snorkeling gear and other stuff in the shops near the resort.

• Stayed July 2013

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Melbourne
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Family of 3 adult women and 3 young women aged 17, 18 and 21 stayed here for 4 nights and loved it. Initially the girls thought it was a bit remote but slowly warmed to Haad Salad. The resort is very well maintained, the rooms clean and spacious, the pool and restaurant are lovely. We had a pool bungalow and thought it may be a bit noisy but not at all. The view out over the water is gorgeous and the little beach at the front is quaint. I had read the staff were friendly and it is true, they were very, very helpful and friendly, especially the young boys who worked in the restaurant. The brecky was simple but fresh and yummy. The resort sits on a stretch of beach in Haad Salad with other resorts, restaurants and bars and it is so nice to walk between them and eat, drink at different places. We hired scooters from the front of the resort and made our way easily around the island. It was the highlight of our trip. Look past the step missing on the pool ladder and the torn sun mattresses, it is a 3 star resort that probably needs a little updating but is perfect just the way it is, VERY RELAXING!

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 211. While it is a great bungalow and location, it is right next to the kitchen...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MickHM
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I've just returned from spending 4 nights at Salad Beach Resort as part of a holiday with 6 adult female family members. We found the resort to be very relaxing, the ambience is very tropical and it truly felt like we were on a remote Ideal Thailand getaway, but in reality it's only about 15 mins to Tongsala. Plus there are other villages closer by to explore. We all hired a scooter for 150 baht per day and had an absolute ball discovering the delights of this island driving slowly and carefully as none of us are experienced. But as the roads are well sealed and there is little traffic on the north of the island, we felt safe riding around. Back to the hotel... We had poolside bungalows and we had 3 to a room, which was more then spacious enough for our purposes (who wants to stay in your room other than to sleep anyway?) the air con worked well. The beds were hard but I've experienced worse in Thailand so I wouldn't let that put you off. Breakfast was ok for a resort of this size. I happily trade off a large variety, for a smaller resort anyway as large impersonal hotels have never been my scene. Having said that, this resort is probably one of the larger on Haad Salad beach.. The staff were very friendly and their English speaking was surprisingly good. I recommend you walk down the beach to Salad Hut for dinner as that really is the best on the beach, though the food at Salad Beach Resort is nice also.. The swimming pool is cool and refreshing, but if youre after a pool lounge, youd need to be there early as there arent enough for all guests. I prefer the beach when the tide is in myself, but even when its out, you can still lay in the swallow water and enjoy the view of this pretty beach. The Pirate beach bar a few doors down has the yummiest, strongest 100 baht cocktails (during happy hour) I've ever tasted! There is also about a dozen other restaurants / bars along the beach to chose from, plus several shops behind the resort.

If you are looking for a relaxing tropical Thai beach holiday, that's not too remote from anywhere else and is clean and comfortable, then I happily recommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank JessGirls
Reviewed 13 July 2013

25 euro's for air con room with breakfast (at first 1200 baht but got it to 3 nights for 3000).Breakfast is OK with types of cereal and fruit, bread eggs and bacon etc. (We found a fly in our bacon though, but those things can happen.) The pool is clean and OK, not too big but doesn't matter. Food in the restaurant is good and for mediocre price compared to the rest of the beach.

Downsides here: this place and beach is great for relaxing, but if u are a youngster u need a motorbike to see some action (which u can rent across the resort, 200baht). This resort is mainly occupied with young families, so not much socialising with other youngsters here.
For us (23yo) that's not a prob, we got a motorbike and we love the chillness here.

I came here 2 years ago and I loved it top back then. So I'd say this resort offers a consistent good service and price/value. :-)

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Beurtson
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed a night further south and it wasn't our scene. We were so happy when we found this place! It was low season so nice and quiet and I think a little cheaper than usual. The pool was beautiful and clean, the beach small but stunning and we enjoyed the best sunsets on most nights. We found a few favourite places to eat at along the beach and there is also a few places to get a massage right on the beach. We stayed a whole week here and want to go back already. Staff were helpful - even gave my boyfriend food when he was sick! They clean rooms daily and even open up the unoccupied rooms to air them out. We will be telling all our friends to stay here =)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BConaboy
Reviewed 24 June 2013

A wonderful resort at a very nice beach. Rooms are clean and nice and the food at the restaurang is great. The beach is great and snorkling is fine considering you can do it straight out from the beach
Overall wee rally enjoyed staying here

Room Tip: Wonderful service at the testaurang
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family