“Awesome place had the best time.”
Review of Slumber Party

Slumber Party
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights by myself and had an awesome time and met heaps of people All the staff are absolute legends too. Got to see heaps of great places around the island and the location was perfect. Went to the full moon party which was insane haha I have stayed at a fair few hostels and this one was brilliant.

• Stayed: May 2014

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I went to Ko Phangan together with my brother and the idea that we we're going to stay for about 4 days. We ended up staying for 11. Ringside is a great hostel with awesome guests and an even more awesome staff. They give you the best tips for things to do on the island an the best parties to go to, and they even join you sometimes to the parties. The pre-parties before halfmoon, jungle experience and full moon we're almost better than the actual parties. And they offer you free paint. I felt like I had to come back to Ringside and I did stay for another 6 days. I love Ko Phangan and I love Ringside!

Room Tip: If you like it cold at night, you should go to one of the ac-rooms. If you don't like ac there a...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This review is way overdue. And i feel a little ashamed for that, because it's much deserved.
I don't really write reviews. I just can't be bothered. But this is an exception.

To start of with, the staff are all really cool and laidback people, i was kind of on my own because of some minor personal issues (meaning i wasn't being a social butterfly, like i'm usually not anyway). But i still got this very warm, inclusive "part of the family" vibe from them, in a VERY non-fake way. All in all a great staff. Then this happens:

Ringside rents motorcycles. Unfortunately they were all gone when i needed one, so i had to go to some random shop down the road to rent one. All good.
Back at the Ringside that evening, i'm chilling on my balcony doing some reading. My scooter is parked on the side of the road in front of Ringside, next to many other scooters all parked there the same way. As they always are, every day.

Out of nowhere i suddenly hear a big slam followed by a lot of screeching noise, and look down. I see two people and a scooter lying on the road. A little bit back from where they lie, i see my scooter, on it's side.

Turns out these people were drunk driving en crashed into my scooter, which caused their fall. I go out to help these them first with water and wound care, after which i state they crashed into my scooter, and after some convincing they agree to drive with me to my scooter shop then and there to settle any damage costs. Since those can be astronomically high, and i don't intend to pay for this myself ofcourse.
So I am walking to my scooter to drive them there, and the next thing I see is them, driving of on top speed in the other direction.

A chase, a near fight with a 1.5 ft taller half drunk dude and a lot of commotion later. I'm left with nothing but the name of the female driver. Who turned out to be living on the island and was recognized by someone else who happened to see the crash happen as well.

Paul, one of the owners of Ringside who came back about an hour later, happened to vaguely know here as well, as a acquaintance of an acquaintance, basically like everyone does who semi-permanently lives on the island. And it is important to note that neither Ringside nor Paul nor any other Ringside staff were in anyway involved in this whole calamity. What happened next though, still warms my heart when i think about it.

First Paul called his Ringside companion who was literally in the hospital due to an accident. To get him to call someone who might know the phone number of this girl who caused the accident. After which Paul, instead of simply handing me the phone number and wishing me good luck, like he could have, ringed her for me and got here to agree to meet us the next day. Paul, again, without any obligation from his part, nor me asking, wanted to be there with me when she would arrive the next day.
She didn't show up.

Paul next decided that one of the other staff, a really cool Thai guy named Kong, could fix the bike up to basically looking like new. I really can't believe at this point the trouble they are going through for me: a guy who was basically mostly to himself (though still friendly might i say :D) and hadn't even made a big friendship with them or anything.
But it gets even better: Paul tells me that i shouldn't have to worry about the costs of fixing the scooter. That he will pay for all the new parts that are needed to be bought. And that if the shop doesn't take the scooter back after noticing to have been repaired by a third party (contract says you can't), that he will pay for any remaining fines as well, and that HE will settle things financially with this girl at some later time, out of my worries and itinerary. I was almost moved to tears by these acts of kindness at this point.

The remainder of the day consisted of Kong driving around getting new parts for my scooter to put on, and spray painting some hefty scratches in the scourging sun. With me having paid absolutely nothing and merely being able to stand there watching Kong work his mechanical magic. The least i could do was stay there with him the whole day and offer him a drink or two. Which he kindly refused, haha.

All said and done. The scooter was fixed up so well, that the shop didn't notice any difference from how i got it. And they took it back. Getting me my passport back, without having to pay an estimated 15.000 baht in damages i would have to have paid, would these awesome people not have helped me basically from start to finish in every step along the way.

This is the kind of service and care i wouldn't expect from a 5 star celebrity hotel. But these guys gave it. Without asking anything in return. Like i was a family member, and this was the only possible conceivable way for them to react to help me.
Guys (and gall), thank you so much. I still intensely appreciate it.

But that's not all though. The next day i am in front of the ferry which is about to leave in 15 minutes for Koh Tao. I'm on foot with a huge backpack. And i realize i didn't empty my locker at Ringside. Containing a 250$ headphone and some other things. With no time even to get a taxi back and return to there without missing the ferry. All i have is a phone number from their website on my tablet. I call it, and i get the guy who is in the hospital, Paul's companion (forgot his name). I explain my situation. He says "i'll call you right back." And he actually does, with a minute. With the phone number of Kong. Which i now call to explain my situation. And this hero manages to empty out my locker, jump on his motorbike and get my stuff to me on the Koh Pgangan pier, with 5 minutes left before the ferry leaves. This screw up was my own fault. And yet again they manage to help me in a way that goes above and beyond anything i would have imagined from any hostel.

I was not a special guest. I was not excessively friendly with them before all this happened, and they didn't ask anything in return. I am still amazed when i think about it. And i hope to see them again so to buy them all a beer and send them some love.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tyanuh
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I stayed here as a solo traveler over the full moon about 3 weeks ago. Upon arriving the staff were immediately welcoming, friendly and helpful. The room itself (6 bed dorm) was very clean (as was the whole hostel) and had lovely wall paintings and beautiful decorations. The people I met were so kind that I felt completely at home and included. It seemed to be a major social hub as people who weren't even staying at the hostel were constantly at the bar, outside and playing games (beer pong around the clock!). Considering it is a party island, there will obviously be some noise, however, even though my room faced onto the main road, it was surprisingly sound-proofed and sleeping was never an issue. The staff organised all parties and my travel away from the island so I didn't have to worry about anything! The price of the hostel was so little with regards to the service I received so thanks also for helping my small budget! I think my experience could not have been the amazing one it was without Ringside Guest House. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and I will have to return before I leave Asia. Thank you so much!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights over half moon. Lena and jeni were very friendly and helped with what to do and where to go at night. They even joined us on some of the nights which was a lot of fun ;) the accommodation is clean, a good area, and the beer pong and flip cup games are a great way of making friends. Good job!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Any one that doesnt stay at Ringside is missing out on life! This place is clean and has great staff! Its a great place to meet ppl. If i wanna enjoy the island? Enjoy it with ringside and all the ppl that stay there. Take it from me. I booked only 3 days and ended up staying for just over 2 weeks! Great price and worth every minute! Definatly be staying here again! American owned but thats ok cause im Canadian... same same but different!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Just came across this place wandering around! Quite a nice welcome to mention, DJ playing inside the bar and had a friendly welcome from the staff! Rooms are really nice, soft beds and enough space!! Gotta love the party vibe that's hanging here

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends