“Dirty and rude.”

The Velvet
London, United Kingdom
“Dirty and rude.”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Despite an initially friendly welcome, the owners of this hostel turned out to be work shy and rude. Our sheets were not changed for the duration of our 4 day stay, no toilet roll was provided for us and the bathroom bin wasn't emptied. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't mention this but when there is a sign on the bathroom door asking that all toilet paper is placed in the bin, it is not just unsanitary but unsafe. The room was noisy; both the road outside, the air-conditioning unit (which was so loud that we had to turn it off to sleep) and the sound of the owners screaming at and slapping their son. The owner of the hostel refused to make most of the items on his menu - he couldn't be bothered. When we challenged him he told us that he didn't care about bad reviews and that we should have stayed somewhere else. I can only assume that the other reviewer on this website is one of the family members who was enjoying a free stay with them at the time. I have traveled extensively and never been so dissatisfied with a stay or been treated so badly by a hostel owner. Terrible.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte B, Owner at The Velvet, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
We are so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our guest house. I will try and address each of your issues in turn:

1: We tell you on check in that we do not change sheets and towels every day in order to keep the costs down and the price of the rooms as cheep as possible for guests. HOWEVER we also state that we are happy to replace your towels or sheets upon request. If you had asked we would have happily changed them.

2: We also say on check in that we are happy to clean your room upon request. This includes changing the toilet roll and emptying the bins. Most people just come to reception and ask for a new loo roll! You did not ask for this service.

3: Our guest house is near the road and I am sorry if it kept you awake.

4: Our air con units are no louder than most, but again I am sorry if yours kept you awake. If you had mentioned at the time, I would have done my best to find another room. I will however, ensure that this one has a service in order to ensure it is working at peak efficiency for the next guests.

5: I don't know who you heard "screaming at and slapping" children, but we do not believe in physical discipline. We wouldn't even hit our dog let alone our children!

6: I am sorry that you could not have all of the things on the menu. As my husband explained at the time, all of our food is cooked fresh to order and he had not had time to make up a new batch of spaghetti bolognaise. Therefore it was off the menu.

7: We really care about all reviews, good and bad. That is why I am taking the time to respond to your review. But more than reviews, we care about whether people enjoy their stay with us. As I recall, on the day you arrived we were all very busy refurbishing our new "chill out room". By way of apology for the fact that the room was out of commission for the day, I upgraded your room at no extra cost. You did not utter one single complaint, until the evening of your check out. You telephoned us at 11:30 pm on the eve of check out to say that you wanted to check out at 6.30 am the following morning. You had not mentioned the early check out before this, despite the fact that I allowed you to use our office computer, free of charge to search for hotels in your next destination. At the time of your stay, we did not live on site (we'd do now) but you demanded that my husband came over to the resort to check you out as you did not want to be bothered with it in the morning. My husband explained that he would be there for you to check out in the morning and that it is not our policy to check people out the night before. When he arrived in the morning, you were so rude to him that it made the other people in your party very embarrassed. At the time, you promised a bad review and so here it is!

Again, I am so sorry that you felt so slighted on your final day that you were compelled to write this review.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Family run business, business run by a wonderful family! Stayed for 3 nights and found the whole experience great. Toms breakfasts are to die for!! Our family actually stayed outside the full moon party experience, so the atmosphere was right for us. Upon leaving they were getting ready for the monthly FMP and were completely booked, I recommend anyone wanting to stay here to book well in advance! Big thank you to Tom and Charlotte for making us feel so welcome x

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte B, Owner at The Velvet, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Thanks so much for your wonderful review. The reason we started our guest house was to meet brilliant people like yourself. So glad that we could make your stay on our wonderful island a fantastic one :-)