“Best of the beach, bargain simple rooms”

Royal Orchid Resort
Ranked #86 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Best of the beach, bargain simple rooms”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

I came to koh phangan to relax and enjoy nature and the beach. Here it is quiet and simple, yes basic bungalows and I like the quiet, service is simple, I love Thailand and for me this is perfect, I have been at the royal orchid for 3 weekd , and I plan on returning when I come back to koh phangan, enjoy

• Stayed February 2014

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you are thinking of this place it's a RIP OFF!! Front desk staff is INNANE! Rooms are filthy we had 2 LIZZARDS (not geckos ) living with us. After trying to rid them from the room we saw the FILTH BEHIND THE FURNITURE! Maid didn't clean for 3 days!!! Did I mention the front desk idiot??? A rip off all around! Don't bother and save yourself the $$ !

Any AIRLINE PERSONNEL!!!!!! Don't go here!!!! AC Emp here!

Room Tip: Go to Salad Beach Resort next bay over!!! AMAZING!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We were based in Haad Rin and got a shuttle up to visit Koh Ma. We had lunch at Royal Orchid Resort, and it was possible one of our best meals on the trip! We hired our snorkeling gear from the same resort and it was very cheap! The visibility was poor, but it's always luck of the draw. If you're around, you definitely need to walk/swim across the sandbank to Koh Ma.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cit M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We didn't have anything booked in Phangan for the New Year's period and were looking for somewhere to stay for few hours driving around the island on a rented motorbike. We found this and for 1000 bhat for a AC double room on the beach, we thought we got a bargain.

The rooms are very old and not very clean. They do not provide mosquito nets and they don't clean the rooms at all during your stay. We stayed for 5 nights! If you don't clean your bathroom for that long in this country... Well, it stinks! Everybody who visited Thailand knows what I mean.

The restaurant is ok, not great, but will do. There are other restaurants on the beach if you don't like this one anyway.

The resort does not have it's own beach, it is located just in front of the sea but there is no beach here (although it is just few meters away, so no problems here).

They have motorbikes to rent, that is a huge plus.

You should stay somewhere else is you can. The beach is not that great and is quite far away from everything. I recommend Salaad Beach very close to Mae Haad.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

At the Royal Orchid we felt like we were getting scammed at every moment. Items we did not order were added to our dinner bill. When paying for the room we were given incorrect change, then when we pointed it out, the staff member just laughed and pulled out the correct change from his other pocket. It didn't end when we organized a taxi back into town with them. We agreed on a price and a destination- we were driven part of the way and the staff demanded more money to take us all the way there.

To boot- the rooms we unclean and in disrepair. There are no top sheets on the bed. When we would ask the manager to fix a
broken thing in our room he would just say "I'll do it tomorrow."

We have been traveling in Asia for 6 weeks and the Royal Orchid is the worst place we have stayed.

Do not give them your money!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank BShuman07
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We had brunch at this place and I thought this place would be good because it was right on the beach. We got a two bed room bungalow, but the bed was too small, it is really a single bed. So, sleeping 2 people in a single bed in such a hot temperature just with fans. But, we were lucky to have this room as there was not many available at the time of year.

We stayed there for 5 nights. This beach is very nice for swimming and there is another small island that you can walk through water and it is a fun experience. People do fish, snorkel over there. My family did all while I was enjoying getting massage. "family massage" here on the premise was good. I tried the other one on the other side of the beach, but I prefer this one. They are not family related with the accommodation people. But, the sisters an mother team do a good job. I particularly enjoyed the mother's massage as she has more experience and strength.

The food and coffee at the royal resort was good. Especially, I start to appreciate this simple coffee (the best price - 25 baht, I think). I kind of gave up on cappuccino as I couldn't get the right one. So, one day I ordered normal coffee and the tasty was good!

The staff - manager was the Thai woman - was not very friendly, but okay. The man (his name must be Oi?) was initially very friendly, but we didn't feel generally that they were very friendly.

But, the woman was very efficient and fast for sending our son's passport to Koh Tao. We forgot to pick up his passport from them because it was unusual situation and they and we both forgot about it.

Of course, we had to pay a bit of money for getting the passport, but it was very worthwhile we appreciated it very much that she promptly sent it to us.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
buenos aires
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I had pre-paid with an agent as it was hard to find anywhere to stay and I had had to move out of where I was staying elsewhere on the island. I then read various negative reviews so arrived a little concerned.

I am writing this to dispel such doubts. The Thai staff were warm and very helpful (Paan, Oi), the rooms were fine with a hammock and aircon or a fan, and there was a massage available steps away on the beach. Because of the boats in the water, better to swim 100 meters away, and there is deep water and ok snorkeling off the little island opposite, especially when the sun is shining and with little wind so that the visibility is better. Oi runs a bar at the beach every evening.

Mainly good for Europeans looking for 2 weeks in the sun rather than the travelers.

So enjoy!

Room Tip: Aircon on the beachfront worth the money plus you can get wi-fi. Not so easy in some of the other ro...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends