Santhiya Koh Phangan Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Thongtapan Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
Buri Rasa Koh Phangan(Ko Pha Ngan)
View Hotel
Panviman Resort - Koh Pha Ngan(Ko Pha Ngan)
View Hotel
Bamboo Bungalows(Ko Pha Ngan)
View Hotel
Starlight Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
View Hotel
Havana Beach Resort(Ko Pha Ngan)
2,683 results
All reviewsprivate poolmary janehideaway pool villaour honeymoonoutdoor bathroomteak woodsupreme deluxesmall villagekoh phanganmain restaurantmain poolnearby villagesea viewneighbouring beachtraditional thai stylespeedboat transferjip shop
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This was the part of our honeymoon we were looking forward to most... and it was awful!!!
The reception staff were functional.... to rude, the food was appalling.. I had to ask if the chef was Thai the food was so bad, nothing like I have ever tasted in Thailand before, I used to live there 5 years ago teaching English.. so know what to expect, The waiting staff swore in Thai calling the 'farange' ( Tourist ) crazy and stupid, they cleared the restaurant of tables noisily whilst we and others were waiting for/ eating there food, they took our dessert order when we were eating starters, asked us to sign for the bill when on mains and then served melted ice cream with lukewarm pudding obviously made when we ordered it... With the staff shouting in Thai- which I understand... I just wanted to cry.. It was heartbreaking... this is not Thailand
The room was beautiful a real wow factor, although run down pealing varnish and dirty they did have a outside bath with rose petals which was full of dirty water that wasn't cleaned out even when we left - just fresh petals put in! I saw when I went back after we checked out as I had forgotten something! We had an infestation of ants in our bathroom and they conditioner was obviously topped up, I think had something other then conditioner in from a previous guest. when I asked for a new conditioner it was totally different!
My husband wanted to cheer me up after our disastrous meal so booked us into the spa, we had a steam the room was covered in cobwebs and so hot you physically couldn't breath, then we relaxed into our full body message, I could have these all day, normally! the girl that was doing my massage dislocated my right hand middle finger it was so painful, I still can not close my finger and am going to a specialist in hospital this Friday!
Over all the hotel reminded us of Butlins with the Ritz prices, from the second we arrived the other guests looked miserable- Don't let this happen on your holiday.
When we filled in the feed back form no one contacted us even though I placed it in the managers hand.... that just epitomised it from the top.. No body cared.
We left the hotel early and went back to ko Samui Sandelwood hotel, wow now that is what I call 5 star!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Claire F
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My husband and I booked our honeymoon here in Oct 2010. Unfortunately due to the Typhoon we were unable to get there (evacuated off Samui before we could transfer). We were very dissapointed so decided to return to thailand for christmas this year to finish off our planned trip.

Christmas & New Year is a very expensive time of year to come (pretty much double the price everywhere). I contacted Santhiya and was quoted about $950aud for 2nights accom in the Hideaway villa (to give you a scale - id booked the same villa for $400aud for 2 nights in Oct 2010, so a significant price hike). Since we were determined to treat ourselves I asked reservations to email me the 'package' options available. Samantha (reservations) sent through a quote (supposedly discounted) of just over $1,200aud for 2 nights, including hideaway villa accom, rtn speedboat transfers, 2x dinners, 1x lunch, 1x massage, a day trip around koh phangan, and a car transfer to the pier on dept.

My husband and i were happy with the package, but needed a couple of modifications made. We were travelling to koh tao next so the rtn speedboat to Samui was no good to us, we were also arriving late (4.30pm speedboat) and leaving on a midday ferry on dept(requiring a mid-morning transfer) so were not going to be there long enough to use the lunch (our only full day at Santhiya would have been spent on the "full day tour" also included in the package). We also wanted to eat elsewhere on one of the nights given the rave reviews on trip advisor for the restaurant on the next beach.

Because of this, we requested to swap these 3 items for something of equal value (e.g. an extra 1hr massage each). $1,200aud is a lot to pay in a 3rd world country (especially for such a short time period) and whilst we were happy to pay it, we obviously wanted a package we could use. I am a seasoned international traveller, and Iv never had any issues in the past when booking directly with other high end hotels. Most places are happy to accomodate their customers who are paying a premium for the privalege (particularly when there are legitimate reasons requiring the changes).

Samantha replied to my request with a counter offer of a 2hr massage for one person and a 1hr one for the other (id asked for it to be 2 seperate 1hr massages as well but Samantha insisted it had to be 1x 2hr massage, which seemed pretty strange to me as I couldnt understand what difference it would make to them how we took the 2hrs)... She also said that the lunch would not be swapped out (so its our own bad luck if we arent there long enough to use it).

To be honest, my husband and I thought the whole counter offer was a bit of a mickey take as my suggestion had been very reasonable (i had compared the value of the things removed against the spa pricelist and 2 x 1hr massages were well within equal value, the massages were actually worth slightly less). We also felt it rather odd to offer a honeymoon couple different massage lengths each (why not make it 1.5hrs each to make it even so they can enjoy the couples massage together?)

However, the straw that broke the camels back was when it came to negotiating our departure transfer time down to the ferry point. Our ferry was at 1pm so we wanted a transfer late morning so we could enjoy our morning at the hotel before departure. Samantha however, informed us that our transfer would be at 9.30am. When I explained that this was not suitable as then we would be at santhiya for even less time so we really required a later transfer, I was informed that a later transfer (e.g. 11.30am to meet our 1pm ferry) would be an additional 1500 baht!

I was pretty offended by this, and my husband was absolutely mortified when I told him. As a result - we have now booked elsewhere. $1,200aud is a significant amount of money for 2nights in Thailand and as far as we are concerned - that kind of money warrants impeccible service and customer responsiveness. We didnt get this from Santhiya and it has left us determined that we will never stay at this hotel.

So my advise to other travellers is book in low season (where at least they are prepared to work for the money and you will get bang for buck), or book elsewhere. In high season they are only interested in ripping you off - there are other places that will appreciate your business more.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank B1900
Reviewed 26 August 2011

My family (2 adults+3 young children) stayed 1 week in august. I booked directly throw website/frontdesk. I always do like that and teavel a lot for vacation in asia. We went in a lit of Nice places .
I was terribly surprised to discover that THE 197sqm room was including THE garden and THE pool!!! At list THE (inside) room was no more than 30sqm!!!! What a joke!! No more space to get more than 2 long chairs, no more than 2 chairs and no table on the small deck (nice family breakfast!!)I also asked to be very close to THE beach , meaning all members of my family CAN go directly to take a bath... We were located behind the Pier where everybody arrive and left THE site...so private, so quiete... My question is Who is THE manager of the tricky place??? Concerning the beach: impossible to stand (only 3 sunbeds), the sans was provided by the construction i guess (big sand/Hurt feet); no sand in THE water (only rock!). And the pool house engine is so noisy !!! I try to Forget this nightmare and only remember THE wonderful Beach just behind rocks on THE right side. Easy to access from THE resort...for Free! Not a 5 stars location...
Breakfast is ok (taste, choise, location) but you need to ask several time what you want like in a small backpacker local restaurants...nô 5 stars service.
We asked for babysitting service while we went to THE fullmoon party: they offer for a crasy price (around 10€ per hours for 2 kids); i pay in france nô more than 7 euros for a young student speaking my language. Of course i refused and only payd half.
I was so upset. They offer me another room : THE list expansive on THE site but so fare on THE hillside... With nô more charge.
At least i paid 700€ per night for a type of room corresponding to a maximum price of 500€; i talk about THE upgraded room they sall for more than 1000€!!!
So to give a simple conclusion : very Nice place but very bad price. This Will never be a 4 seasons nor a 5th sense Hotel concurrent. So fare...

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Fredvoyageurdeparis
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Spent a week here out of our 3 week Thailand honeymoon.

The staff are brilliant, they are always looking out for your needs and are very pleasant. I even got told "No, No, No" for attempting to move my own sunlounger and umbrella!

The grounds of the hotel are incredible and the room we had (Superior Deluxe) up on the hill was lovely with a great view. The private beach is very nice with kayaks and scuba goggles to use for free. The hotel pool is great also. Only people staying in the hotel are in the area the hotel is set which is good for privacy and relaxing.

We would return to this hotel, but would have to save a lot of money so would probably go somewhere a little cheaper, but this was very special and added to our honeymoon.

Just round the corner of the hotel to the right there are lots of little shops and restaurants for those after a cheaper meal and drinks. Two meals and two beers in this hotel cost over 3000 baht compared to a (possibly nicer) meal and 8 beers across the beach for under 1000 baht.

To end, tremendous hotel and I would 100% recommend it.

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel would be good in my opinion.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2011

My wife and I actually stayed here in August of 2010 for our honeymoon and it could not have been better! The atmosphere is so relaxing and our room with our own private pool was incredible! Nothing but positive things to say about this resort and if you are on the fence on whether or not it would be a great destination for a memorable honeymoon.... Don't hesitate and just book it it will be a great experience!

• Stayed: September 2010