“You will regret staying here. Dont do it!”

Blue Hill Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 29 March 2013 via mobile

Ants in the bed and on the floor.
Rotten wood on the balcony (Foot went straight through)
Holes in bed sheets.
Single sheets on queen size beds.
The elevator is in terrible condition, slow, inconvienient and unsafe.
Staff are rude and unhelpful.
No phones in room.
Manager is so bad it made our trip painful.
Feral cats meowing for food while you try to eat.
No buffet breakfast on our last day.

Do not stay here you will regret it.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank jessy26m

Reviewed 5 March 2013

When I first came to Ko phan Ngan in 1997, the island was much less developed. No one rented motorbikes unless you had a local to drive it because the roads were so bad. Back then, my guide stopped at the precise spot where Blue Hill is now located to show me a King Cobra that had slithered across the road. I will never forget the experience of seeing the snake snap its head up to look back at us. Little did I know that the woman who would later run the resort on this exact same spot would have the personality of this snake. I hate to pick-up on points made earlier but this woman is that bad. In my six visits to Thailand, I could count on one hand how many Thais I've disliked and this woman is one of them. She likely takes a broom to work every day. To give one specific example: she believes that travellers should use their own mobile phones to order room service from her restaurant and to book tours from which she takes a commission! To that end, she only has a phone in the best villa on the property.

With that out of the way, I must admit, the resort is an incredibily unique set-up. It's laid out on a very steep hill with bungalows and rooms located all the way down to the sea. The view is spectacular, the beach is passable and the pool is small but OK and well-positioned back from the beach.

What is not OK is the elevator. It never works and you should count on having to take the stairs, which is a completely non-starter for people who are not in excellent physical condition. The aforementioned manager can't seem to understand how the functionality of her resort is an issue. To her, it's a privilege to stay there and you shouldn't complain (In three days there, I had one elevator ride that wasn't interrupted by some sort of malfunction). Also, if you have small children, I would not stay here. The possibility of an accident with the elevator is simply too great. Also, the elevation changes on the property make it easy for a child to fall and seriously injure themselves (or even get lost).

Still, with all these complaints, I do think that Blue Hill would suit a certain type of traveller who is on a budget and wants to enjoy the view and the quiet atmosphere away from Haad Rin (Haad Rin is about a 10-minute drive away). Also, the rest of the staff are very friendly and accommodating. When I was leaving, they were doing their best to help a woman who had been injured the night before. It was clear they were very concerned for her and were trying to help.

If you do stay here, be prepared to deal with what could possibily be the most un-accommodating woman in all of Thailand. In the end, she and the elevator were too much for me and I left a day early because I couldn't handle having the last couple days of my holiday ruined (I was flying back from Samui after leaving here).

Room Tip: Deal with the staff, not the manager
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DannyManning
Reviewed 13 February 2013

First of all, my boyfriend and me booked this place after we had read all different reviews above. Blue Hill was not our first option at begining, and we finally choosed here mainly because the price is inexpensive and they charge very little on concellation. we booked 7 nights , right now we have spend 6 nights here, and every day more other hotels we see, the happier that we made our current choice.

In terms of view , all Blue Hill's villas and rooms are built between middle of mountain down to the beach, so basically almost every room has great sea view. We live in room B5, and every morning sitting on the room grand, facing down the sea view, overlook Samui island, best meditation ever.

Speaking of lift , it seems lots ppl complain, I have to say it doesn't bother us at all. Yes, it is slow, but lift is open lovely cable car, when we in the lift,we enjoy the view every second, besides everyone come here is in the holiday, why not taking advantage of slow cable car and enjoy the great view. Sometimes, if lift is not available, we just take stairs. It's also nice, feel like walk through a park. Anyway, my opinion is if you are with kids, and hate climbing stairs, or always in a hury, Blue Hill may not be a ideal option, otherwise here is the best valued- hotel we ever been.

Staff here are very hospitalality, two ladies who we see them almost everyday speak very good Englidh, turn out they are from Philippines. There is one local staff doesn't speak much Englidh, but he always has big smile.

The time we stay is not Full moon party time,so we don't go out late. Therefore we don't feel so distant to others hot party spots. I am glad we didn't choose those resorts which are exact on the hot beach and between bars.We enjoy peace here. We rent a motorbike, it took us 10 mins to closest beach, 30 to 40 mins to farest beach. It's good enough for us.

We choose breakfast package, and its good value, limited items, but still not too much complain considering the price they charge. You can't require 5 star hotel standard and pay 3 star 's price.

We are leaving tomorrow , and definitely I will miss here.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

the hotel is located in haad rin but not in a good location. it is far from the center, and if you're looking to soak up the koh phangan atmosphere- this is not the place to do it. sure, we were happy to go to sleep quietly without all the noise from the parties, but it is too far to be appreciated. its up on a hill, going downhill takes about 30 minutes by foot but going back is impossible. they will tell you a taxi is 50 baht a person one way- sometimes it is, though most of the time its 100 baht. there is nothing around the area, so a quick stop at the atm machine or 7eleven will be another 100 baht at least. our room was cleaned only once in 1 week- the rest of the time house keepping just left a bag with towels and toilet paper.
the staff was very rude, with very poor english. kept trying to avoid contact.
we payed extra for a "sea view villa"- it was a very small room, very poor, definitely no villa.
no safety box in the room.
and last but not least- the elevator. we were on the 5th floor (going down), and it took about 15 minutes to get to our room from the lobby. it stops working at 11pm so if you're out partying- be ready to walk. from where the elevator stops at your floor- you still have to climb very high stairs to get to your room.

take my advise- book somewhere else. your money will be worth more elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tamar L
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I absolutely loved this place, the views are unbelievable and the pool is gorgeous. I found the rooms clean and comfortable with a mini bar and a nice bathroom. It is quite rustic and if you're expecting serviced luxury you won't be impressed, but it's head and shoulders above than the standard backpacker accomodation in Haad Rin where music is pumping all day. If you can get a good deal it's worth it. The restaurant is very expensive though. The best thing is that you have a secluded beach (we were the only ones using it) to relax on in the day, then you can walk into Haad Rin in the evenings to go out. And you'll be able to get some sleep when you return in the early hours! I would recommend this to anyone who wants something better than backpacker, but who doesn't want to shell out for 5 star. In response to the complaints about the hill, it's so worth it!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jdclio
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Blue Hill with two other couples. Each had our own rooms, the hill made it difficult to meet at the pool let alone up to the road and restaurant. The concept and novelty of the elevator up the hill with what was admittedly pretty amazing view of water and koh samui was just not enough to distract from the impracticality and inconvenience of the layout. The resort is also clearly a bit run down. Rooms are basically fit out and are concrete slabs- literally. Didn't bother me overly but the holes in the bed sheets did. Also supposed to be a restaurant on the beach at base of the resort. Not there and doesn't seem to have been there for a long time.
Now let me temper this by saying that we had good service and enjoyed our stay- eary to get around with reasonably priced taxi at the hotel and the hotel manager was lovely. But I think for what we paid- about $80AUD per night (full moon, peak) I expected a bit more and the inconvenience of getting around the actual resort became a pain after first day or two.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We arrived to the hotel after an overwhelming night in another one so we were very happy finding such a nice place. The stuff was very helpful and nice; the rooms are simple but the view is truly amazing (especially from the pool). They take a good care of the garden and the pool too. We originally planned to stay for only two nights but as we were so satisfied with the complete package we have extended to 4 nights. This hotel completed our holiday:)
I have to add that we had an ant army in the room but OFF (DEET) is apparently good to make them stay away. There is no safety box in the room but there are lockers in the office.
The hotel has a private beach (not as nice as Haad Rin though) but we rented a motor so it was easy to move around.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple