“after the first day excellent”
Review of Longbay Resort

Longbay Resort
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Israel
“after the first day excellent”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

That's right after the first night excellent. I would have given the resort 5 stars but for the original bungalow we stayed at. But first the excellent part:
The Long Bat is situated on Haad Yao on the north western part of Koh Phangan. Remote yes but a 20 min tuk tuk or taxi and you are in town (Thong sala). You are on a beautiful beach eating breakfast or dinner to the sound of waves crashing on the reef. Want a massage no problem- the hotel has its own (at a 10% discount). Beach is also home to other places for food or drink. Check them all out. I also highly recommend Reefers Diving. It is 5 min away. They have everything you need for diving and it isnt a factory. They give personal service.

Now why did I take off one star you ask. Well I had ordered the cottage. When we showed up- my wife (which means me too) was very disappointed. If we had been a young couple no problem but I guess age has spoiled us. The cabin was small with cracks in the wood floor; a leaky air conditioner (which was fixed), a door that sort of closed. Not the greatest atmosphere. Trying to change it was a big hassle. The claim was there was many people coming. However I offered to pay an additional amount to change to the deluxe cabin. The amount (for us) wasn't much but the room was sooooooo much better. Larger, with closets, safe, and a smile on my wife's face.
So don't skimp get the higher priced room and enjoy.

Room Tip: Close to the pool and beach are the best. They are worth the price
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jamie S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at longbay for 3 nights. Our room Was supposed to be equipped with a fridge and breakfast to be included. However it wasn't and the staff just shook their heads and sad no not included eventhough I showed my reservation from Hotels.com which supported my claim.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We had an amazing time in this resort. Prices were very good for the high quality of the place. The receptionist girls were very friendly and helped us booking everything in our trip.
The room was small but very tidy, and let's face it, for the affordable price, we couldn't complaint. Bathroom was very small but cute. We stayed in a Bangalow what Made all the experience very typical.
The breakfast was excellent.
The beach is nice, but not the most beautiful in the island, due to the amount of coral in the water, but in the evening, the atmosphere changes completely and turn into a beautiful place full of restaurants on the sand serving amazing food.
I highly recommend this place. Wish I was going back today

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Boyboytraveller
Wales, UK
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just stayed here for 5 nights during a 3 week visit to Thailand. We stayed in a deluxe cottage - H12. The cottages are situated in beautiful lush green surroundings, and are very well maintained. The room was very clean and spacious, with a huge king sized bed. Room also had a tv and a minibar. We had problems with wi fi though, we had to go over to the restaurant on the seafront as in our cottage which had a side view of the sea, couldn't pick up any signal. Breakfast was ok,and we ate at the BBQ one night which was good value. Despite it being quiet season and the resort fairly empty, the staff often seemed unhelpful and not bothered. The shack at the pool where the towels were, every day 3 or 4 of the staff would hang around in there, not even acknowledging you. Also, when going to order a drink or some food, the staff, of which there were a lot seemed to mull around, either not noticing you, or even speaking when you placed your order.
A concern I noted, was that there was no staff there after 8pm in reception, or as security on the entrance. If in an emergency, I'm not quite sure what would happen. The reception were not helpful in the day either, refusing to keep your door cards safe, We did query booking a taxi to a nearby resort but the receptionists seemed that we were an inconvienience, and it seemed that they were not keen to take us.
There are 4/5 dogs within the resort, this is common a lot in Thailand but they did not bother anyone. Often they would be asleep under the sun loungers.

I would not stay here again - Haad Yao seemed to far out from any nightlife or shopping so we had to travel loads. Also, I wasn't really impressed with this resort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jugz5
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Firstly, if you look at my other reviews you will see I don't complain about much unnecessarily. The resort itself is nice enough but the way it is Managed is atrocious! We booked 7 nights in a beachfront bungalow and like others here who complained and indeed other guests during our stay, the hotel double books these rooms and tries to palm off seaview rooms once you get there. The receptionist tried to pretend she didn't understand me when I kept asking for confirmation upon arrival that we had beachfront. She said yes we had seaview. It was only when i said we would be cancelling and going elsewhere that she understood me well. So we were upgraded to the V1 villa for two nights with the understanding we move when our original bungalow booked became available. After the two nights, naturally we didn't want to move so I went back and told the receptionist that we would pay extra for our remaining 5 nights to stay in V1. Suddenly even though that room was not booked for the following week, due to it being full moon period (we booked and paid in full last November with no interest in full moon parties) we had to make up the price to 5000baht a night which is a very high room rate for off peak season in Phangan. To cut a long story short and after I had to walk back and forth to receive updates from her whilst she was confirming costs etc, we agreed to pay 5000baht per night and stay put.
That night we fortunately returned early to find ourselves locked out! The lady hadn't programmed our card to open the door past the first two nights. If we had come back much later as we did other nights, we would have been sleeping in our car. The office closes at 8.30pm. When I pointed this out to the receptionist she just shrugged and looked like she couldn't care less. Very poor considering how much communication had gone on over our extending that particular room.

Of the 5 breakfast we had, 2 were delivered with missing choices. The BBQ on the beach is expensive and comes with only potato. No salad or other sides. The staff swim in the pool. Plates left beside lounges from one day to the next. The only maintenance we witnessed was on the deck we were eating breakfast with loud banging going on 2 feet away. Why then when they had the rest of the day to make the hole bigger for the tree? Also it was ironic that they found that an urgent issue, when the decked pathway was literally breaking up all over the place.

In our 6 days (we checked out a day early) we were never quite sure who the Manager was. We suspected it was the only Westerner wondering around who grunted to us on our first night whilst we sat at the beach bar having a drink. We were the only ones sitting there... So he chose right in front of us on the direct other side of the massive bar to do all his paperwork. We felt we couldn't talk to each other without him hearing everything so we moved to the cute little swing not far away. note, the cocktails are cheap at 100baht but you can also taste they are not genuine spirits used, but rather the cheap homemade Thai version. When we checked out a day early, this same Westerner was standing in reception and he asked quietly to the receptionist if they had an early checkout? He didn't look at me, even when I answered him that yes we were checking out early. He completely ignored me and indicated to one of the other ladies behind the counter to go out the back to obviously discuss our early departure. I was amazed that he didn't ask me directly why we were leaving or if everything was ok. They had our money so it wasn't important to him, I can only assume.
I know a lot of these complaints may seem petty but when a few things go wrong you seem to be more aware of other faults. As I said earlier, we don't complain easily. The beach at Haad Yao when we were there, due to unusual tides apparently, was out so far it was impossible to swim. This is not the fault of the hotel so I only mention it now so that others are aware. Surprisingly around in the next bay at Haad Salad, the water was much closer to the shore for most of the day. Also we hired a jeep and visited Thong Nai Pan Noi twice and the water there was beautiful!

Summing up, this is my 5th stay on this beautiful island and I look forward to going there again as soon as possible. But I would never! stay in Longbay Resort again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The bungalows are quite small, if you choose the normal ones. We went there in May so it was quite quiet and relaxed. They have a good restaurant on the beach with lots of seafood and fish. The greatest thing for us was that the resort is near Haad Yao Divers and we took a 3 days Open Water course. We did scuba diving from the boat, far away from the shore because the beach isn't great at all. One has to walk for 100 meters in order to be able to swim in a deeper water. All in all, if you don't expect it to be heaven on earth then you'll have a good experience there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We booked for two nights here. the room has every thing you need. I had one deluxe room for my family and one extra bed. Breakfast is included. my unit was on the side of the beach. It was very fantastic when u wake up, open the door and see the beach right in front of you. The beach in this island is calmer than the beach in Samui island where is beside Pha-ngan island. It is so peaceful here. the reception was very friendly. Don't miss their BBQ at night.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family