“Beware! Everything ain't as it seems in brochure!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ko Pha Ngan
Weangthai Hotel & Resort
Ranked #81 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
“Beware! Everything ain't as it seems in brochure!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

Without a doubt, the main guy 'Dave' was the most unhelpful hotel staff member I have ever met while seeming really concerned. Upon arrival we were give the WORST room I have ever seen, included with eddy sort of stain and hole you can imagine! There were holds in the floor and the roof and stained bedsteads. When we complained we were told by the lively Dave that he was just 'manning the fort' and had no real power in changing rooms, despite the fact that he told us upon arrival that the hotel was totally empty and we would have the whole place to ourselves. We were forced to stay in the room for tue first and complained to our agent the next morning at which time we were upgraded. We found out later that Dave is actually one of the main men at them hotel!!! The other poster mentioned the 'free' internet - you have to pay a daily rate for it, it ain't free!! They are severely overpriced for everything. Their restaurant is expensive. They seem to also allow a load of stay dogs to sleep on the couches in the common area. My advise is that there is far better and cheaper places close by- stay away from here and shop around!

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank Philipstown

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Exeter
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2011

Awful resort, staff were unhelpful, rude and lied to us on numerous occassions, the worse was the young English owner.
Room was dirty, damp and had cockroaches. The food was basic, internet connection poor - and NO WIFI!!!
The seating area was damp dirty and swarming with flies and mozies!
Would never return.

BEWARE - Staff try to rip you off by telling you lies lies and more lies!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ko Pha Ngan hotels

Penang Island, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

I was convinced to book here by a travel agent in Bangkok just before leaving for Ko Pha Ngan. I originally intended to scout around on arrival but as it was nearing the Half Moon Party I paid for 4 nights in the hotel here for B1,000. At around £5 a night I was happy to go for it and the leaflet seemed nice, promising 24 hour wi-fi, good service etc.

Upon arrival, I was made to wait two hours, a long time anyway but especially after a twenty hour journey from the capital, where the ever-helpful "Dave" did nothing to keep me informed on what was going on. Eventually I made it to the room to discover dirt all over the walls and squashed bugs in the sheets. Nevertheless, the worst was yet to come in the shape of the "bathroom." Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting luxury, but cold water showers with spiders' webs nestling amongst the plumbing isn't my idea of good hygiene.

The staff also very helpfully took my driving licence to keep on record until I checked out, not a problem except that there is never anyone on reception when you want to collect it; three times I walked down to the resort to collect it and only on the final occasion did I get it, five minutes before departure. Once again helpfully, Dave instructed me upon arrival that most people give over their passports; a good job I didn't given the uncertainty and with a bus to Malaysia waiting for me to leave!

All in all, this hotel offers dreadful service, barely passable rooms and shockingly bad bathrooms. The worst I've encountered backpacking through Asia, and believe me, I've stayed in some shockers. One to avoid.

And one more thing, the advertisement of free 24 hour Internet is not true. I was plain lied to when I arrived that the hotel did not have Wi-Fi, but when I logged into my computer, up pops Weangthai Hotel as one of the Wi-Fi options. Only hours after pursuing did one nice member of staff tell me the password, to whom I am eternally grateful to for making my stay at least somewhat bearable!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CJT91
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

We had the cheapest room available booked via Agoda so we didn't expect much. The reviews on here put us off a bit but a friend recommended it to us so we booked 2 nights. The room had no window which wasn't a big deal and the bathrooms were shared which is fair enough for the price. The room was in the Weangthai Hotel which is a short walk from the resort and you have all the resort facilities which is good.

But;
The room was very dirty, the walls were covered in bogeys and other stuck on mess and the area behind the door looked like it had never been cleaned.
The hall way stank of urine and a fresh puddle appeared several times in our two days which we had to ask to be mopped up which it was but it still stank.
The bathrooms were VERY dirty: many old spiders webs, dirty marks, lights not working, shower heads broken, mold & full of mosquitos.

A member of the dive school (old bloke with big grey hair) tried to sell me a dive trip which I didn't take thankfully. I later found out he told me 2 blatent lies. Sail Rock is not their exclusive spot (all dive companies on Phangan go there), a Whale Shark that he showed me a photo of that was taken "4 days ago" was a blatent lie as Whale Sharks hadn't been seen for months and the conditions around Sail Rock had been awful (2m visibility) for at least a month. So he was really trying to rip me off.
The internet is overpriced, 100Bt for 1 hour. I used 5 minutes of the hour I bought one day and the next day I had only 18 minutes remaining. I complained and spoke to 4 members of staff and the last one tried to fob me off by lieing. There was absolutely no customer service. The bar is expensive for beer too - 70Bt for a small Chang.
And when we left the Thai cleaner rolled her eyes at us as we had given our key in at reception!

On a positive note the bedding was clean enough, the bed was ok but not great, SOME of the staff were very helpful and friendly when they were around.

Overall I would avoid staying here if at all possible. The more expensive rooms and bungalows in the resort may be better, they definitely couldn't be worse.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Orebro, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2011

Hi everyone. I was staying, or at least were expected to stay at Weangthai Hotel&Resort with a friend in December 2010. We had booked our stay through booking.com at least 3 months in advance, just to make sure to have some place to stay during new years eve and the days before. So we booked 3 days from 29Dec-01 Jan 2011 at this place mostly because this place was one of few who allowed a minimum of 3 days stay over new years eve. Fine, so we arrived about 08:30 PM to the hotels reception and there were 3 thai ladys working in the reception by that time. And there was no other guests to take care of by that time. Still, we had to wait for about an hour before they could check us in. And here the problems started. First of all, they forced us to pay compulsory gala dinner for new years eve of a cost of 2000 bath per person!! That was also one of the reasons that we did book this hotel. No gala dinner and a minimum of 3 nights stay.
Ok. So we were getting dissapointed allready, and we were told to wait for a little longer before a taxi was going to drive us to the hotel. He arrived, and we also met 2 other guys with the exact same problem. They also had to pay for gala dinner and so on. When we arrived to the hotel, it was not even the right hotel!! They sent us to a hotel 4 kilometers away, "My palace" was the name of that place. But it was late so we did go to bed after checking in AGAIN at the new place, very creapy staff btw.. The rooms had mold in the roof, barely no hot water, no pool, no fridge and no TV. Nothing that we had been promised in booking Weangthai hotel.

So next morning we went back to Weangthai to make up what was going on and why they sent us to that crap place. Once again, we had to wait for 1 hour & 20 minutes before the manager of the place showed up. He explained and argue away that booking.com was responsible for the problem and Weangthai could not do anything about it (?!?!?). So he said, we could not come to Weangthai due to the hotel was overbooked. And to make it all clear, they did'nt tell us about this when we arrived first night to the reception...
So we had to stay at My Palace for 2 more days. He offered us a deal though that we accepted in some way. Since we allready had been paying for the stay and also for the "gala dinner", we could'nt get our money back. And I guess we would not even find a available hotel cus all hotels on the island is fully booked over new years eve.
However, the deal was that the manager offered one more night at My Palace for free, and also one night for free at Weangthai Hotel & Resorts from 2th of January-3th, if we booked diving at their place. So we bought that deal...

The problems was not over yet. No breakfast was included either at Mypalace, even though we had payed for included breakfast at Weangthai. So we had to pay for the breakfast, or take a taxi turn and return to weangthai of total 200 bath each just to go and eat breakfast there..

We did not even get back the money for gala dinner, even though we did'nt have a room at Weangthai the first 4 nights of total 5. So, very dissapointed, we were transfered with about 30 other people from My Palace, that had the exact same problems as we had, to get the gala dinner. It was a big JOKE! You had to pay for all drinks, beer, sodas.. whatever. The food were like a regular buffet, but with one exception... They were making so small amounts of every dish that it was allmost empty bowls everytime you wanted to refill your plate. It sucked noodels...

And the last part.. when we FINALY got away from My Palace, to have one nights stay at what we booked from the begining, Weangthai Hotel & Resort, It sucked even worse!! We had been out diving all day, came back to Weangthai maybe 07:30 PM (diving company had their base there), and then we had to wait for at least 30 minutes AGAIN before a taxi picked us up to go to the hotel from reception. I was tired after diving and had been feeling really sick that day, and then there was even more problems. The manager told us that the cleaning ladys was not finished yet with our room, but there were just going to be "5 minutes" and they schould be finished. When we arrived, the cleaning ladys were really rude, and they was not finished. They said, "30 minutes! You come back, 30 minutes!" And then I pissed of. I felt so sick and I really wanted to sleep. But we had to wait for 30 minutes. When we finally got the room, there was dried PUKE on the curtain, long black hairs on the bed, lizzards on the toilet walls, the tv was broken and not clean at all!! And there was far away to the pool and the beach..

So.. for you people who have been reading all this review, I hope you stay away from Weangthai hotel&resort!! I have never had a hotel as bad as this one. Really bad service, even worse rooms.. STAY AWAY, or have a really dissaponiting stay at this hotel.

Daniel, 21 from Sweden

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Foten1
Luton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Absolutely loved it here, was my favourite week of my travels. The rooms are budget but we didnt spend long in them, the staff got us involved in everything to do around the island and couldnt have been friendlier. The pool bar is always full of people and is a great place to hang out and meet people. You can also do a trial dive on the resort which is brilliant. A really laidback place where anything goes and everyones welcome.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

I'm a bit confused to see all the negative reviews below me, because after checking in for 2 days and then going on to stay 2 weeks, all I can give is praise. From the pool bar to reception, from the dive school to the restaurant, I had nothing but fun here with my mate and the staff.

The bar goes on and on into the wee hours and if there is a party in the jungle or a boxing match to see everyone moves as a posse. We were taken excellent care of and I can't wait to go back. I'm glad I opted for this place and didn't stay in Haad Rin like I originally planned.

Go here. Meet the staff and drink with them. Have fun.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends