“There are better places to stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palita Lodge

Palita Lodge
Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
London
“There are better places to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

Stayed for New Years Full Moon Party.

Good things:
- got suite type A which was lovely
- great swimming pool
- hotel at quiet end of Had Rin (but still not quiet)
- no one walks through hotel between town and beach given its location
- convenient ferry pick-up (complimentary)
- cheap laundry service
- Sky TV had good channels - news & sport
- rooms cleaned well every day
- nice fairy lights in resort at night
- good breakfast by Thai standards

Bad things:
- no reception desk really to speak of or central lodge building. The shack like bar / reception & restaurant is all there is located next to the staff house where they do their washing, cooking, keep the dogs, etc
- kitchens where they prepared average food looked questionable
- pool toilets unusable, always went back to room
- generally pool (although wood work not maintained) and suites outclass rest of 'resort' so if you shelled out on one then you're left dissappointed by the rest of the place that doesn't live up to expectations
- service was dreadful, long waits for drinks, wrong meals would arrive, then your meal would arrive twice! You are often left sitting with dirty plates and no drinks
- NYE Gala dinner was a sham, the food cooked was the bog-standard menu in bigger quantities laid out in a buffet - nothing special like a seafood grill maybe or a cocktail included, total waste of money
- Not enough sun-loungers when resort is busy
- smell - all of Had Rin stinks of stagnant water. Palita lodge has its own water / sewerage issues like all the others.
- As it was NYE week we had to book a full seven days. Two nights on Had Rin is more than enough so given this its not worth staying here.

Its not worth getting the nicest room in this shabby resort, and its not fun staying for seven nights. You're better off getting a cheaper room in a nicer place up the coast for three nights and booking transport to the full moon party.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2011

We arrived at the Palita Lodge after a long day of travel to extremelty friendly and welcoming staff. The location was perfect, with just a short walk down the beach to all the bars. The hotel was immaculate, with the grounds cleaned multiple times each day. Furthermore, upon our arrival we discovered that our rooms had been upgraded at no extra charge!!! By far, one of the best places we stayed during our travel in Thailand!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex2388
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2010

I must firstly state I HAVEN'T stayed here. BUT!
My daughter is traveling Thailand alone and booked herself into accommodation which, whilst nothing wrong with it ,wasn't suitable for a single girl.
I received a phone call in the middle of the night from my distressed daughter who was so scared and frightened and had no way of accessing the internet or getting herself and belongings back to the main town in the night.
After several fraught hours on the internet I found Palita Lodge. But couldn't reserve the room via their web page because of the time difference and my daughter being unable to move to check in the same day.
I rang them and they said they would make the booking but I had to send an email with my credit card details. I had no choice but to do so. I was concerned, as you hear so many horror stories that they would debit my card and then the follow day say there was no room/reservation.
No. Quite the opposite. I'd made them aware of my daughters prediciment and they made her so welcome and showed her immense kindness and warmth.
My daughter says it is the most beautiful place and the owner's are genuinely lovely, gentle and generous people, who can't do enough to help you and make you feel welcome.
As they've shown such kindness, help and empathy to both myself and my daughter I promised I'd write about my dealings with them and I hope my daughter will too on her return.
One very happy and relieved Mum.
Thank you Nijita and all at Palita Lodge.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank anne_G57
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Myself and 5 friends stayed here for 6 nights over the Full Moon Party. We had booked online with another hotel but upon arriving we were told they had no record of our reservation, so had a walk along the beach where we discovered the gem that was Palita Lodge! The staff could not have been friendlier, especially Sue!! So so helpful, happy to do whatever you asked of them. We had 2 triple rooms, with a double bed and sofa bed, but the double bed was more than big enough for 3 of us. Bathroom was gorgeous with a huge shower. Maids were in every day and room was spotless. They even played 52 card pickup for us which we felt quite guilty about.. Food was lovely and cheap! Pool was gorgeous, cleaned every night and comfortable sun loungers to relax on. Stunning view out onto the sea. We had a bit of a disaster on our last night where one of us got injured and we couldn't get the boat that Sue had booked for us but she re-arranged it for the following day, even packed us a lunch to take with us! And arranged for Doctor Sam to call to hotel and check up on my friend!! It was noisy during night of FMP as our room was just beside the pool, very close to the beach but with enough sangsom and buckets you'll soon fall asleep! Just a shame that we stayed there on our first week because for the rest of our stay we compared each hotel to Palita Lodge, and nowhere lived up to it! Expensive for Thailand, we paid £35 each per night but worth every penny! Can't wait to return!!

• Stayed August 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank aday167
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2010

We stayed in the wooden bungalows which are basic, but comfortable. What really sells this place is the amazing beach right out front, and the staff - who couldn't do enough for you. A great place for travellers and families alike.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

I arrived in Koh Phanang with no hotel and walked along the beach at Hat Rin to arrive at this peace of heaven. The staff are incredibly nice, whatever you want, they will get you. The rooms are sparkling clean and modern. If you are there during full moon like I was, get a room towards the back garden to avoid the noise. I have not one bad thing to say about this resort except that I had to leave. For a single female traveller, it was perfect. Not to mention it has one of the nicest pools and the best food on the beach.

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2010

Palita Lodge was great...The best accommodations on our travel around the southern islands.

We booked one of the newer villa suites in the front of the property. Wow---it was fabulous and worth the extra money. Clean, spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom was fabulous...huge shower and a separate room with a huge bath if you'd like it. We were only a few short steps from the beach (Sunrise). Great beach!

We hear that it's a lot crazier during Full Moon and we weren't there for that, so it was just the right speed for us. Not far from the nighlife but far enough for peace and relaxation. Make sure to get out to the northern part of the island--beautiful. Would definitely return.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple