“Can't recommend”

Sarikantang Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 91 Hotels in Ko Pha Ngan
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I can't recommend this place!
I'm sure it's a bit of a problem generally in koh phangan with the full mooners coming in and out every month but I stayed here during a different time of month, you still get the feeling that you are an inconvenience, not a guest, and was overall unhappy.

First of all, the Hotel is a long walk on a crummy, barbed wire lined narrow road from town or the beach. The last part of the road is the worst with a combo of loose dirt and incline steep enough that I saw a sober person just completely wipe out, losing his footing. The hotel staff claimed they are not allowed to pave it. Yeah right, I don't believe that for a second and at the prices they charge it's unacceptable.
I found the front desk staff quite unhelpful and not friendly. Even though the hotel is so distant there's no help getting around and they severely overcharge you for a cab.
The pool is a joke. Small and not well maintained.
I stayed in 2 different rooms. The standard bathroom was pretty gross. Built up gunk on everything and I had pieces of a tourist map taped over the windows instead of screens.
The sheets were filthy when I first checked in and had to be replaced.

The other superior room was better and pleasant to wake up in but still nowhere to hang a towel. How hard is that to add to an expensive room?!

Wifi was pretty inconsistent. It doesn't reach a lot of the rooms ( even the ones it's supposed to). You can sit at reception and get a signal but at dusk you will be eaten alive by Mosquitos.

In addition I left something in my room at check out. There's clearly no system in place for this and I was told nothing was found. Obviously the staff stole it, it's just a matter of who.

This place has potential but they clearly make the money they want with no desire to care about their guests or take care of the place. The long walk to anything else means when you leave your room you're gone for the day.

• Stayed: February 2012
5  Thank Scotym
Sarikantang, General Manager at Sarikantang Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2012

Dear Scotym,

As a representative of the team, I thank you for spending the time on reviewing your experirece with us. We are dissappointed that we fail to complete your expectation on staying with us in some of the areas and we wish to learn and improve our service from these valuable feebacks from guests' view.

Regarding the pavement of the road, as informed to you, the hotel paved all pathways that is under the hotel area with fine concrete. Unfortunately but should be understandable, we are unable to intervene with the road outside our area except to wish for a better development in the future. To adjust to this unpleasant condition that we can not control, the shuttle bus time table will be placed on our service for all guests free of charge from mid of March onwards. However, we still confidence that our place is on one of the finest location with a private beach but walking distance of 5 minutes to the town as mentioned by most of the reviewers.

Regarding standard room's condition, we are pleased to inform a renovation in the near future (within this year) but still plan to keep it in the budget price as it is before so that we can have an option for guests with all budget. Your comment on some details lack in the other room type will be taken into account with this renovation as well.

Regarding missing item, kindly contact us back with e-mail directly so that we can process the proper investigation for you.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again to Sarikantang with a better service in the future and thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

we love the family like atmosphere. we love May, the owner, and all her family. the place has a great swimming pool, the beach is lovely thogh you cannot sweem when the tide is low in summer.

Room Tip: the swites up the hill has marvellos views. its a bit far from the real good beaches were you can en...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Avner C
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Slightly delayed review, stayed march 2010 but planning a trip back this march. I would never normally stay at the same place twice but Sarikantang has a little place in my heart after first visit. Given that on the other side of the hill and only a 5min walk is full moon beach, it feels very secluded and when the parties are on if you dont fancy that kind of thing or need a rest from it all, the music is pretty much drowned out. Very pretty beach which is overlooked by the restaurant serving very tasty thai cuisine. Rooms are furnished to high standard, we had 'deluxe with bath' - huge semi open air bathroom with huge sunken bath.for the price i was impressed considering some of the other 4 and 5star resorts which charge a fortune. Very relaxing here complete with party time when you want it. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mossee
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I've been coming to this paradise for the last few years and no words can describe what a fantastic place it is.

I usually stay over Xmas/New year period and this time it was a 'special' time as I got an accident and ended up with a fractured leg and on crutches :-( Someone would probably cancel the whole trip and got their insurance company to send them back home. However, I have no regrets about my decision to stay at Sarikatang for a week after the accident.

Everyone at the resort showed their tremendous compassion and support on a daily basis. I was taken to/from the restaurant in a golf car, to the local clinic for x ray, etc, could order my food to the room when I wanted to, got help with every little request I had and didn't have to ask twice for anything.

The family who run the resort (Mai & May and their parents :-) have made me feel extra comfortable, sometimes I almost forgot that I couldn't actually walk anywhere!

I'm still surprised that Sarikatang is not number 1 on Tripadvisor in Koh Phangang. I'm giving the highest score for every single aspect of evaluation and simply can't fault it for anything! The best location on Phangang if you like a mix of partying and peace on the beach; the lush territory with tropical plants, butterflies, birds; super fast response to any request; fantastic breakfast with mixture of fresh tropical fruit and western style of food; good choice of fruit shakes and food at the restaurant; spacious bungalows ranging from basic to luxury; beautiful SPA right on the beach...and guaranteed smiles from everyone who works at the resort :-)

I think I better stop complimenting this pace before all the bungalows are booked for next Xmas/New Year. Its still January 2012 and I'm already planing to book my bungalow for next trip in December/Jan'13, though this time with no health incidents.

This place is a magnet...You'll be coming back again and again. :-)

* Don't forget to'Like' it on Facebook

Room Tip: Book WELL in advance to avoid disappointment!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank russguyuk
Reviewed 26 January 2012

This was our fifth visit to Sarikantang so i wont apologize if this review is biased.

The resort is situated on Leela beach, also known as Sunset Beach for obvious reasons. The resort will pick you up from the ferry free of charge so long as they know when your arriving.

There are plenty of options available now compared to a few years ago. From beach front bungalow's to basic (but perfectly adequate) bungalows to deluxe and the new Lanai rooms that overlook the second pool. We have over the years stayed in a number of the rooms and to be honest they are all good and that is reflected in the price. For example we arrived two days before we were due so we took the opportunity to have a few nights in the Lanai then switched to the standard room. The Lanai is wonderful but we equally enjoined the standard room.

One thing you notice is that the resort is well spread out, its by no means huge, only 53 rooms, but unlike Coco Hut which is next door has 103 rooms the land is almost the same size so you don't get the feeling of being on top of each other.

As many have said before its right on the beach and the beach is excellent though not always perfect for swimming, it all depends on season and full moons.

The restaurant is very good serving a good range of Thai standard fare, with good fish selection and the usual pastas and pizzas. There's always someone in eating and quite a few come from Haad Rin so it cant be bad.

The staff are another huge plus for this resort, always friendly and more than willing to help. The Spa I am told was very good and very reasonable.

Over the last eight years we have stayed here many times and each time it seems to get better and better. I cant think of a better place if your heading for Haad Rin

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheGeordieNomad
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed in a Superior Bungalow. Room was very large and spacious. Location was great, only a 5 min walk into Haad Rin. Still quiet though! The beach and pool were fantastic. Breakfast was always delicious, food in general was very good. Restaurant staff were a little slow sometimes but in general good. The spa was also excellent, had a couples massage that was amazing! All in all great value for the money. Would recommend to friends for sure!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FranL212
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Where to start, we booked the beachfront bungalow for Christmas and new year, so glad we did, our room was actually on the beach!
The room was amazing, great view, great bathroom, giant bed!

The resturant on the beach is also sooo good we ate thre everyday! Staff are friendly and helpfull.

The spa is wonderful, 1 hour massage was amazing at only 400 BHT

Then there was the new year gala dinner buffet they put on! They went to so much effort, again the food was great, free alcohol, music, fun games you can get involved in and then setting lanterns off on the beach was so nice.

This hotel is a perfect get away from the manic hadrin beach. Although we did party down there!

The path to and from the hotel from hadrin isnt great but it's fine only a 2 min walk and it's lit up at night.

Would defiantly recommend.